Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The Maritimes - Day 4 - The Return Journey

7/5/16, “The Return Journey”

Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Nova Scotia (YHZ)

And, so my trip comes to a close.  Reader, think of everything you love about New England.  Whether it is the rocky shores, the charming colonial towns, or the wooded lakes.  Think of all your favorite foods from the region, the fresh seafood and berries, whichever are your favorite.  It is quite possibly the finest region that our country has to offer east of the Mississippi.

The Canadian Maritimes are like New England.  On steroids.  The shores are rockier, the towns more charming, the lakes even woodier.  The fresh seafood and berries are even more abundant.  It is a marvelous place to visit, like everything in Canada compared to its American counterpart, it is bigger and grander.  As much as I love our sweet land of liberty, the cultural and natural heritage sites of Canada always outdo the similar ones in America.  So, too, do the Canadian Maritimes outdo our New England states.

In spite of all the adversity at the onset, this was a great trip, and, while it was my last trip to the Maritimes, I very much look forward to exploring Newfoundland and Labrador this time next year.  By far, my favorite place this trip was Charlottetown.  That was where I had the best meal of the trip, and the charming little capital, no bigger than my home town of Scarsdale, was a great place to spend a night.  I doubt I would have wanted to spend more than a weekend there, though Halifax left me feeling as if I could have spent a week there if I wanted more time to explore.  The historic sites of Grand Pre and Lunenburg were even more charming than I expected, nor did I expect to be so wowed by the Joggins Fossil Cliffs.  In short, all five sites that I did see were very remarkable and enjoyable, even if I did slightly rue missing out on Miguasha (again).

When I first went to New Brunswick, (is it really almost two years ago now), I first made the comparison, calling it Maine on steroids.  They specialized in lobster and blueberries, too.  That was when I was first supposed to see Miguasha, but they had already closed for the season.  It was the fall, and the foliage was so beautiful, far surpassing anything I’ve ever seen in New England.

This trip would allow me to complete the Maritimes, and my time in Nova Scotia and PEI are well documented here.  I spent very little time in PEI, but I enjoyed very much the time I did spend.  Nova Scotia, I properly explored, seeing all three World Heritage Sites and spending two nights in the capital.  I had the famous smoked salmon twice, and, of course, I loved it.  I don’t plan on going back to carbs when I get home, so I’m not sure if I can manage to eat lox for breakfast straight.  You need the bread and seeds to cut it.  In all, this has been a very good trip, and, had the opening hitch not happened, it might have been perfect.  I suppose I don’t have much to report about the return journey, which I will recount after I get on the plane, since we are boarding now, and I want to get some coffee.


Aboard DL 3841, Gate 46, YHZ


Okay, The Return Journey, I’ll be as brief as possible about it.  After I closed last night, I got my ice cream, opting for “Moo Henry” and Birthday Cake.  I was finished with it by the time I got to my hotel.  I sat outside and lit up my trust Ardor, which I do not think will survive past my 30th Birthday, if it makes it that long, and wrote my entry.  I took way too long winding, and it was close to midnight by the time I got to sleep.  I had to wake up in three hours.

I had already packed, so I just got ready and headed down.  It was a bit of a drive to the airport, and I stopped for gas on the way.  I got to the airport a little before 4:30 AM, which was actually perfect timing, since security didn’t even open until 4:30 AM.  They did US Border Control Preclearance at the airport, and that didn’t open until 5 AM.  I lost my lighters to security.  I then stopped at the duty-free shop to get an assortment of local alcohol, including a bottle of Glen Breton.

I then went to the gate, where I sat down proceeded to write my reflective entry.  The only donut they had at Tim Horton’s was a Boston Cream, not very Canadian, so I took a pass on the coffee, knowing I could get some on board.  It was a bit of a walk from the gate to the plane, and I had to gate-check my bag.  I got to my seat, 1A, my favorite seat, ordered a coffee and whiskey, seeing as both were free, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out the trip, so that I can finish my drinks and maybe get some sleep en route.  Next stop: Pittsburgh and West Virginia with Stu for our annual summer amusement parks and National Park Sites trip together.

No comments:

Post a Comment