Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Steel and Coal - Day 2 - The Three Rivers

7/24/16, “The Three Rivers”

Hinton, West Virginia (Bluestone State Park)

The day today consisted almost entirely of visiting the three rivers in southern West Virginia.  The three rivers (New River, Gauley River, and Bluestone River) represented three different National Park Service units, and they had four Visitor Centers, each with their own stamp.  That was our goal, to see each of the three rivers and collect all four stamps.

We did it, but not without difficulty and adversity, a lost expensive lighter (not found), a broken cell phone (fixed), and a lost wallet (recovered) chief among them.  It, along with our stop at the State Capitol building this morning, was what it took for me to say, “West Virginia Complete”, and I said it.  We will soon be going to the famous, historic Greenbrier for dinner, but most of what we did today about natural, scenic beauty.  Here, in front of the Bluestone River is where my quest came to an end.

After I closed last night, I was pleased to learn we would only need to do three hours of driving to get to this spot.  It would be an easy day, so we slept in.  I don’t use an alarm clock to sleep, so I had become the group’s alarm clock.  I woke us up at 8:45 AM, and we got ready before heading down for breakfast.  It was the traditional fare, and I had coffee, an omelet, and some sliced sausage.  It was good but nothing special.


After breakfast, we hit the road, going straight to the State Capitol, where Stu and I took a ceremonial picture.  From there, we drove to the first VC: Canyon Rim.  That was where I learned the details about the three rivers.  The four VCs were all part of New River Gorge NR.  Gauley River NRA was to the north of this one and Bluestone NR to the south of the southernmost VC.  We would actually thereby need to make six stops, not four.

Canyon Rim was the main VC, and it had brochures for all three rivers, along with stamps except for Bluestone NR.  We would need to get that stamp at the southernmost VC: Sandstone.  Canyon Rim had a nice overlook of the gorge, so I lit up a Padron Damaso, and we took some pictures there.  I have had no cell data service all day, so I was on Wi-Fi only, which meant only the VCs for the most part.


We then drove up to a place where we could access Gauley River, so that marked our second river, where I finished my cigar.  Meanwhile, my phone had stopped charging, so I was being very careful to make sure I could preserve my battery until I got home and could fix it.  Also, my left wallet pocket had torn open, so I needed to use my right rear pocket.  We took our ceremonial pictures at Gauley River NRA and then went back to the VC to post it.

Next stop was Thurmond Depot VC, which was literally located inside an Amtrak station.  I was told that there would be a train coming that would take me back to New York if I wanted, with no connections.  I was shocked.  I got my stamp there, and we took some ceremonial pictures at the tracks.  That was actually the most interesting site of the day.




From there, it was the appropriately named Grandview Ranger Station.  We continued along winding roads and got lost along the way.  We stopped at a rest plaza for lunch and some West Virginia souvenirs.  It was around 3 PM, and we only had two more VCs to hit up.  After the rest plaza, we soon found our way to Grandview, and I lit up a Las Calaveras.  We walked to the grand view spot, and it was the most stunning vista of the trip so far.  I took some ceremonial pictures and some regular pictures to use as profile pictures on dating websites and such.

Afterwards, we headed back to the car, and I let the cigar go out by whizzing around the parking lot with the cigar sticking out the window.  We drove from there to Sandstone VC, arriving about 15 minutes before they closed.  It was perfect timing, and we got our last stamps.  I was quite pleased with myself.  The lookout for Sandstone Falls was a little more down the road, and I finished my cigar there.  I was quite pleased with myself.

That just left Bluestone River NR.  We continued even further down the road to the State Park VC, which was actually opened until 8 PM and had Wi-Fi, so that was a boon.  They even had a stamp, not an NPS stamp, but, still, a stamp.  I bought some souvenirs and paid with my debit card.  I then wanted to fill my water bottle, so I looked for a water fountain.  There was none, just a vending machine.  I went back inside to the VC and asked if they had water.  She asked if I said wallet.

Wait, what.  Wait, where was my wallet?  I had put it back in my torn left pocket, and it had fallen out.  They had it.  Phew.  I used the vending machine to refill my water bottle, and we headed down to the river.  We found a beautiful overlook of the river, so we parked there, and I got out of the car.  I lit up a Punch and stepped in the river to take my ceremonial picture.  “West Virginia Complete.  All three rivers complete,” I announced, quite pleased with myself.  Since Stu would not let me finish the cigar on the road, I figured I might as well write my entry.  I grabbed my laptop and sat down in front of the river, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can make our way back home.


En route, I-81 N, Virginia (“The Return Journey”)


Well, our journey comes to an end, or, at least, it will be in six hours when we arrive in NYC.  The GPS notes an arrival time at our friend’s apartment of 4:30 AM.  My drop-off will be shortly after that.  I hope to get three hours of sleep in the car and then another three hours at home.  It has been an adventurous trip, but, now, all that remains is the return journey.  This has been just another chapter in Stu and Steve’s excellent adventures, West Virginia perfectly fitting into our list of random places we have visited.  We even got another State Capitol Building into the mix for our collection.

Stu spent most of the day complaining about how he didn’t enjoy these sites.  I spent very little time yesterday complaining about which amusement parks I did not enjoy.  Seeing the National Park Sites today was not for him.  This was the trade we made, his amusement parks for my National Park Sites, the same trade we have made five years in a row now.  He seemed to forget that arrangement once he we left the amusement park yesterday.

This region of the country had no special charm to it, nothing special or new that I hadn’t seen before, just a nice trip to the heartland.  I was glad to have been able to say “West Virginia Complete,” and the dinners the past two nights were a particular treat, dinner tonight being an unexpected and very welcome addition to the agenda.  In fact, that is the only thing I really have left to record before I closed out the trip.

After I closed at the river, I ditched my cigar, and we headed back up to the parking lot.  I connected to the Wi-Fi there and posted everything to social media.  We would be having dinner at The Greenbrier.  When I looked at the National Historic Landmark list for West Virginia, they only had 13 of them.  The only one I even considered wanting to add to the agenda was The Greenbrier.  Imagine my surprise when it was recommended to us that we stop there for dinner and that not only was it on the way back to New York but that we would be able to get there in time for a sunlit photo out front.  We arrived at the hotel, passing through security and the valet, by 8 PM.

It was as iconic as I would have expected, and it was as ritzy inside as imaginable.  It seemed very much the kind of place I would expect Donald Trump to stay.  There was a golf course out back, but we did not have time to even see that.  We took some pictures out front and then headed downstairs to their casual restaurant.  It was at this time that the reality of our arrival time back in NYC (between 3 AM and 6 AM depending on a few factors) started to kick in, and tempers flared.  Once Stu calmed down, we sat down for dinner.

I opted for one of their burgers combos, which came with fries and a pistachio shake.  My burger was topped with their famous fried green tomatoes, along with bacon, cheese, lettuce, and onions.  I got a beer to start off with, a Budweiser of course, nothing more iconic than that.  The meal was delicious, every single bite.  I ate the whole burger, not modifying it like I usually (no lettuce, no bun), but it was just so good.  It was the first real sit down meal we had at something that wasn’t a diner, dive, and drive-in.  I still think dinner last night at the drive-in was the best meal of the trip, but this was a close second.

After dinner, we headed up, and I got an overpriced keychain at the gift shop.  We stopped for snacks and gas before we got on the Interstate, taking way too long for that process.  From there, it would be a 7-hour drive back to NYC, and we would not stop for anything other than gas or bathroom breaks.  Stu would be making the whole drive, since I drove all day today and most of yesterday.  He is not happy that it will be 6 AM by the time he gets back to Brooklyn.

The Greenbrier was right at the West Virginia border with Virginia, so we almost immediately entered Virginia.  An hour later, we were heading north on I-81, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip, so that I can publish and take a bit of a nap.  Next stop: Rio for the Games of the XXXI Olympiad!

No comments:

Post a Comment