Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Remember the Alamo - Day 3 - On the Road Again


10/10/16, “On the Road Again”

Austin, Texas


Here we are, in the capital of Texas, after spending about eight hours in the car and four hours doing activities.  We spent almost the entire day on the road.  While we were able to spend the entirety of yesterday in San Antonio, that was the exception for this trip, we were on the road again, today, Day 3 being spent much like Day 1.  The only difference being today we embarked on our quest together, as opposed to Day 1 when I was on my own awaiting my mother’s arrival at SAN airport that night, as I made my way down the Gulf Coast.    Today was a very harrowing Day, though on paper it might not seem like a lot with our only activities for the day being two National Park Sites and dinner at Texas’s most iconic restaurant.

We did everything we meant to do, making up for the audible we had to call yesterday, and we eventually arrived at the hotel completely spent, no longer having interest in going out for any evening activities.  This is the last night we will spend in Texas this trip, but I have left some unfinished business here, and I will be returning to Texas and Oklahoma in the spring and spending a night in Waco.  In the meantime, I have many trips between now and then, many more opportunities to be on the road again, but that is the future.  It is time to recount today’s events.

After I closed last night, I soon went to sleep, and we woke up early to get an early start.  My mother went out to get her oatmeal and wound up at a McDonald’s, so she brought back breakfast for me, which I didn’t want to eat until we were on the road.  It would be almost three hours to our first stop, Amistad NRA, which is right on the Mexican border.  As soon as we started driving, we got a low tire pressure indicator light, which seemed odd, but I told my mother to pull over somewhere, and I got out to kick the tires.  They were fine, so I shrugged it off.  We continued, stopping only for gas, which somehow set us back 20 minutes.  We listened to an old favorite, Avril’s first album, which we listened to on so many road trips together when it first came out.  However, one loop was all my mother could tolerate of the punk rock, so we switched to John Williams music, followed by film scores.

Before long, we arrived at the VC for the NRA.  I asked a few questions as I got my stamps, and we learned that Diablo East, about five miles down the road, would have the best views.  We parked there, I lit up a Romeo y Julieta, and we started walking to a spot that seemed to have a good vista of the reservoir, and we could see Mexico off in the distance.  I pulled out my brochure to take a ceremonial picture, and, to our shock, we discovered that we were standing in the exact spot where the picture on the front of the brochure was taken.  We had some fun with that.  We walked around a bit as I finished my cigar before getting back on the road.  Our next stop was the LBJ homestead, known for my purposes as Lyndon B. Johnson NHP.  We stopped only at a Stripes for some snacks and a corn dog and Dr. Pepper for me, which, at 3 PM, served as my lunch.

From there, we continued to the homestead in Stonewall.  The VC was actually part of the State Park, and I had seriously estimated the extent of the park.  The ranger, not an NPS ranger, at the VC insisted that the Stonewall unit and Johnson City unit were two separate National Park Sites.  That was not possible.  She seemed not to understand what constituted a National Park Site.  I help up my unigrid brochure and asked, quite simply, if the Johnson City location had a separate unigrid.  She had no idea what a unigrid was, so I said, “This is a unigrid.”  She confirmed it was the same one.  The Stonewall unit had the birthplace, the cemetery, and the Texas White House, while the Johnson City unit had the boyhood home and another VC.  It would be very tight to see everything before the Johnson City VC closed at 5 PM, but it looked doable.

I lit up a Surrogates, and we headed straight to the birthplace to take our ceremonial picture there, continuing straight to the Texas White House, which had a VC, an old Air Force One, and the house itself, where the Johnsons lived most of their adult lives.  It was a nice home, and we then had to race to get to Johnson City.  We got to the VC with 10 minutes to spare and then took our ceremonial picture at the boyhood home before getting back on the road and heading straight to Driftwood to go to the Salt Lick BBQ Pit, Texas’s “most iconic restaurant”.  We stopped at pumpkin stand on the way and got some pumpkin pie ice cream cake, which was okay but not worth the stop.

Soon enough, we were at Salt Lick.  It wasn’t just a restaurant, it was a whole experience.  We parked and walked in to the pavilion, past the pit itself, and sat down.  I got the classic Thurman’s Choice, which consisted of brisket, ribs, and sausage, along with all the fixings.  There was a separate alcohol stand about 200 feet away, and you had to get the alcohol there and bring it back to the table, so I went to grab a Shiner Bock.

The food soon came out, and, while the fixings were disappointing, the meat was everything I expected out of a traditional Texas BBQ.  It was heavenly.  After I finished, I went outside with the rest of my beer and lit up half a Toscano while I waited for my mother to finish up.  I sat in the corner of the patio and had, what I like to describe as, my Magnificent Seven moment, pretending I was in an old cowboy movie as I smoked the same cigar they smoke in those movies.  I was finishing the cigar as my mother was coming out, and we headed to the car.

From there, it was the Texas Governor’s Mansion, and we were now under time pressure to get there by dusk.  We actually managed to get there right at sunset, and I scoped out the situation while my mother parked the car.  She met me in front of the mansion, and I lit up the other half of the Toscano.  We took our ceremonial picture and then walked across the street to the Capitol, which I had seen in 2013 when I visited Texas during the federal government shutdown.

My mother was very impressed with this building, which was the seventh largest building in the world when it was built.  We took some more ceremonial pictures there, managing to do so right before dusk.  I finished the cigar, and we headed back to the car.  From there, it was straight to the hotel, and we were completely spent when we arrived.




We checked in, grabbed some drinks from the bar (rye and seltzer on the side for me), and brought them back to the room.  We could see the dome of the Capitol from our room, and we relaxed a bit before I headed down with the rest of my rye to the outdoor pool, where I sat down in view of the general direction of the Capitol, lit up my Rinaldo, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and strategize for the rest of the evening and the rest of the trip.  It isn’t even 9:30 PM yet, which is actually relatively early for me to publish my entry, but I will save any other adventures of tonight for tomorrow’s entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment