Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Remember the Alamo - Day 0 - Moving Goalposts


“Remember the Alamo”


10/7/16, “Moving Goalposts”
LaGuardia Airport, New York (LGA)

“You know they just added the San Antonio Missions [to the UNESCO World Heritage Site list], right?”  That brief sentence was the impetus for this trip, uttered oh so casually by a Park Ranger at a Visitors Center in Glacier National Park during our Last Great Summer Road Trip Adventure.  It was the moving of the goalposts.  There was no way that we would not be making this trip.  Earlier that day, unaware of this new inscription, I had erroneously announced, “Mainland US Complete,” thinking that I had now visited every World Heritage Site in the Mainland United States, along with all 48 States.  The goalposts had moved.  We instantly began talking about this trip.  It was a while before we properly planned it, but we knew we had have to take it, and, from the beginning, this was the weekend we considered for it.

Three years ago today I was flying back from Dallas early due to the government shutdown, having to mostly cancel a trip that would have allowed me to say “Southwest Complete”.  That, too, contains moving goalposts, with new National Park Sites in the Southwest being added almost every year.  I have made numerous trips to the Southwest to slowly work towards that goal, but all of those trips cannot add up to the magic of what that 10-day trip would have entailed.  I am still sore about that, and it is the reason I will never forgive Ted Cruz, nor will I vote for him in four years, no matter what.

The goalposts are moving in other ways, too.  I keep adding new things to my travel list, setting supplemental goals beyond my 17 Goals, which, themselves, represented moving goalposts from my original 4.  We will soon be boarding, so I will need to wrap up and treat Day 0 en route.  Another thing I’m trying to do is visit the “most iconic restaurant” in each state.  I will not necessarily be revisiting states that I visited before I moved those goalposts, but we will be dining at Texas’s most iconic restaurant this trip, a BBQ pit, of course.

When I go to Oklahoma next year, I will be able to turn it into “Texas Complete”, and that is a feat towards which I have been diligently working, likewise for “California Complete” when I visit San Francisco.  Those are both moving goalposts, but I have been able to figure out how to incorporate those goals into trips I needed to take anyway to satisfy the 17 Goals.  These moving goalposts, they are what make travel fun and what allows me to revisit places with a new interest.

On the other hand, sometimes, I delay a trip, and a new site gets inscribed before I make the trip, and I am able to thereby incorporate it into the trip, but many trips have been solely designed around moving goalposts.  This trip is one such trip, as was the trip I took to Louisiana last year and will be the trip I take to Jamaica later this year.  My trip to Greenland will be modified in anticipation of a moving goalpost, and my trip to Mexico last month included a similar stop.  These are what moving goalposts represent.

I actually think I have time to treat Day 0 now.  I slept in a bit and got ready, having packed last night.  As I was about to leave, I realized that I had forgotten to pack my World Heritage Site folder.  That would have been a disaster level event if I forgot it.  I would be leaving for class at noon and not coming back to the office afterwards.  I was able to get everything I needed to do before I left, and I wound up walking out with the owner.  We mutually decided to try a Mediterranean place called Roti.  I got a wrap, which was actually pretty good, but the spices hit me hard and almost knocked me out.

I lit up a Toscano and biked to class.  After class, I biked back to my apartment to retrieve my suitcase.  I walked up to the cigar shop, stopping for donuts at a street fair on 40th Street.  At the cigar shop, I completed a very familiar pre-departure ritual for the last time, now that the shop is closing before my next trip.  I smoked my Cohiba, said my goodbyes, and hailed a taxi to LGA.


I had no issues with security other than my usual “longbag” issue, and then I headed to the gate, thinking that this was truly worse than a third world airport.  More than once, I said, out loud, that Zimbabwe has a better airport.  It’s true.  I sat down by the gate at a sit down pizza place.  I ordered a pie with bacon, mushrooms, and onions, along with a beer.  It was all very good.



My flight to Houston would soon be boarding.  They announced that they would need volunteers.  To summarize, they made an offer I couldn’t refuse.  I was the first one to volunteer.  I would have to connect in Atlanta and arrive in Houston a little over two hours later than scheduled.  My compensation?  An AMEX gift card for an amount that was almost equal to a week of my net pay.  In the end, they only needed one volunteer.  Since I volunteered first, it was mine.

After they closed the flight, they set me up with my boarding passes, and I walked literally just across the passageway to the Atlanta gate, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as it is almost my time to board.


Houston, Texas


Now that’s a new dateline.  For all the times I have connected at IAH on my way back from Central America (actually just twice), I have never set foot in the city of Houston.  I will not so much as take a ceremonial picture here, though, until we return on Tuesday, but this vista of the First Court of Appeals will serve as my introduction to Houston.  I suppose that I could say almost the entirety of the past eight hours since I closed at LGA was filled with aggravation, and the time that wasn’t was mostly spent moving goalposts in the southeast and discovering that a goalpost in California had been moved making my goal of “California Complete” pretty much impossible under my current travel schedule.  Since “California Complete” is not one of my 17 Goals, it will not be happening under this Travelogue unless I have reason to go to Vegas in the next 11 months.

My LGA-ATL flight was unadventurous, and I spent the bulk of it messaging with my brother, which was the beginning of the aggravation.  I had my leftover pizza along with a club soda, followed by a coffee and cinnamon cookies.  I was under the impression that the LGA-ATL flight would land in the same concourse as the ATL-IAH flight departed.  When I landed, I learned that was not the case.  I landed in the Concourse E.  I needed to get to Concourse A.  I was not in danger of missing my connection, but I wanted to have a cigar, ATL being one of the few remaining airports in the country where you can smoke inside.

I asked where the smoking lounge was when I got off the plane, and this led to more aggravation.  She asked what concourse I was flying out of, and I told her Concourse A.  “There’s one in A, too.”  “A2, okay.”  “No, I mean, there is one in Concourse A, as well.  Do you know what your gate is?”  “A2.”  She looked at me bewildered.  I took the tram to Concourse A and picked out the one cigar that I could spare from my carefully selected stash.

I stopped at an Atlanta Bread Company for a bagel with cream cheese, along with a muffin top (or so they called it).  After more aggravation waiting and my pressure minutes I’d have for my cigar wasting away, she finally asked me if I wanted the bagel sliced.  Huh?  I asked her how she planned to put the cream cheese on it if it wasn’t sliced.  She explained that they give a packet of cream cheese on the side.  Wonderful.


I headed towards my gate, and the smoking lounge was actually a bar, which required a purchase.  It was now about 9:50 PM.  The flight would depart at 10:40 PM, and boarding would begin at 10:00 PM.  I would be lucky to have half an hour with the cigar.  I sat in the bar, ordered an American whiskey, which is horribly overpriced, and lit up my Aroma de Cuba.  It smoked like shit.  I couldn’t wait to be ditch it as early as possible.  I didn’t even want the full half hour with it.  I got into a political debate with the guy sitting next to me, and, as soon as I finished my whiskey, I ditched the cigar, said my goodbyes, and headed to the gate.

When I got to my seat, being in Group 1, the plane was almost entirely empty, but my row, there was a guy sitting in the middle seat (I had the window).  I knew that something was off, from the way he was sitting, from his glazed off look.  I got into my seat, and, as we took off, my suspicions were confirmed.  Almost immediately, his leg next to me started shaking uncontrollably.  It only happened when his eyes were closed.  It was obviously some type of medical condition, whether physical or neurological, so asking him to stop was not an option.  The only thing I could do was use my leg as a shield and wait for his to hit mine, at which point it would stop.  It was as annoying and distracting as hell.  When the beverage service came, I got another club soda and a coffee to pair with the bagel and muffin top.  Remembering the Seinfeld episode, this was not a true muffin top.  It was just a muffin made in shape that resembled the top.  It only works if they make the whole muffin.  They did not.

I spent almost the whole flight looking at trip routes in the southeast, wondering if moving the goalposts to “Original 13 Colonies Complete” was a viable goal based on my current trips planned with the addition of two weekends by car to Maryland and Virginia.  It would all come down to North Carolina, but it looked doable.  I also discovered that there was a newly designated (that’s the word I was looking for earlier) National Monument in California that was not easily accessible from either of my two current trips planned to California.  In fact, it was far closer to Vegas than any other site in California.  That, combined with the difficulties I was facing in the Sierra Nevada region, made it seem like I should abandon the “California Complete” quest.

We soon landed, and I headed to Hertz.  More aggravation.  It was weird leaving the airport at Houston, since I was familiar with the airport, but not its exterior.  I also recalled an incident from when I landed in Chicago and someone woman said that she wished that the rental car companies would share buses like they do in Houston.  They shared them here.  Actually, the whole setup reminded me of DFW.


When I got to Hertz, there was even more aggravation.  Since I had booked the car through Expedia, my gold membership did not carry over, and, since it was so late, the gold counter was closed.  Summarizing here, but I walked up to the guy at the counter ten minutes after he told me he could help me out in five minutes, and he finally pulled up my reservation.  There was a huge line for this understaffed location, and it was late, so I wanted to avoid the line if possible.  When he saw my reservation, he said that I wasn’t a gold member.  I said that I was but that it’s not my fault the reservation didn’t link.  “Sure you are.”  There it was.  He set me off.  No one calls me a liar.  “Are you calling me a liar?” I shot back sharply in a firm but measured voice.  Again, summarizing, he threatened to cancel my reservation, and I asked for his name so that I could call customer service and have him fired.  He told me that I needed to wait on the long line, which my gold member status should have entitled me to skip, and he would give me his name after I waited on line.

After about 15 minutes, I walked up to him, and he said, “Let’s start over.”  I realized that was as close to an apology as he was capable of issuing.  Why he chose customer service and night shifts as a career is beyond me.  He even gave me a shiny new car with less than 10,000 miles.  In the end, I didn’t ask again for his name.  It would be almost 30 minutes to the hotel, and it was well after midnight now.

It was after 1 AM when I got to the hotel.  I checked in, got situated, and relaxed for a bit.  I could see the First Court of Appeals from the window, so I neutralized the smoke detector got set up there, where I sat down, lit up my Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.  It is late, and I have a long day tomorrow.  A very long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment