Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, October 31, 2016

The Borderlands: The Experience - Day 3 - The Return Journey

10/31/16, “The Return Journey”

En route, NYC Airporter 620


Well, there is not much left to report.  The Return Journey was almost entirely unadventurous.  This will actually probably be one of my shortest entries ever.






After I closed at Hermosillo, I headed through security with no event.  For once, I remembered to get my Sunday paper, and we were soon boarding.  We had to walk on the tarmac to our plane and board by a staircase.  I slept almost the entire way to Benito Juarez.  After we landed, I was starving, so I stopped at a 7-Eleven for hot dogs before I went to my usual spot, where I lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey and proceeded to write the preceding entry.

After I closed, I got my usual donut (or two) at Krispy Kreme by the entrance, along with an espresso.  I ate one then and saved the other for the airplane, hoping to induce a sugar crash that would help me sleep on the plane.  Security gave me some trouble about a souvenir painted rock I had gotten at Pinacate, but they let me keep it in the end.



The boarding gate was the same gate where I overslept and almost missed my flight the last time I did a two-day weekend trip to Mexico.  This time, there was no such trouble.  Overindulging, I got a churro and another espresso.  At this point, I began to fear that the espresso would negate the sugar crash.  I did not have to worry about that.  I fell asleep almost as soon as we took off, waking up as began our descent.  The flight was a little behind schedule, which meant the hard 9 AM arrival at the office was looking like an impossibility.  I would have needed to make the 7:30 AM bus for that, or else take a taxi, but the extra cost of a taxi is more than double my hourly wage, so that didn’t make sense for being less than an hour late.  We didn’t land until after 7:30 AM.  Fortunately, our gate was right by border control, and, though the customs officer grilled me pretty hard, I cleared border control with no further delay.

It was about 7:50 AM at this point, and the 8 AM bus would get me to the office by 9:30 AM.  I went to get my coffee and came back a few minutes before 8 AM, just as the bus was pulling up.  Well, it turned out that that was the 8:30 AM bus, and they had no idea what happened to the 8 AM bus.  They moved the 8:30 AM bus up to 8:15 AM, but it was still only slightly before 9 AM by the time they cycled the other terminals and left the airport, though I was still looking good for a hard 10 AM arrival at the office.  Once we left the airport, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: Atlanta for my annual Ayn Rand Conference, this year entitled “Live Free and Thrive”.

No comments:

Post a Comment