Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, November 4, 2016

Ayn Rand Con 2016: The Experience - Day 1 - Doctor Strange

“Ayn Rand Con 2016: The Experience”


11/4/16, “Doctor Strange”
Aboard DL 1945, En route LGA-ATL

The Marvel character Doctor Strange is perhaps the epitome of an Objectivist.  He lives his life in accordance with John Galt’s oath (“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”)  He is a highly successful neurosurgeon, widely respected by his peers, and he lives a life for his own sake.  That is not to say he does not care for other people, but rather that he understands that he owes no one anything and that no one owes him anything.  He interacts with others in the way he chooses to, not because he believes society tells him he needs to do so.

He is perceived as arrogant by his peers, but his arrogance is justified, since he is never wrong.  He does what he does, not of some altruistic desire to help people, but because it makes him feel good, knowing that he is constantly striving towards excellence.  Of all the superhero characters, none would be more deserving of a spot in Galt’s Gulch than Doctor Stephen Strange.  As I make my way to Atlanta for the annual Ayn Rand Conference, I would like to focus a bit on him and how his character relates to Ayn Rand’s philosophy of Objectivism and its views on free will, which is the topic for this year’s conference.

I would first like to address the constant criticism of Objectivism and its use of the word selfishness, since it often brings to mind the idea of someone who abuses other people in order to take advantage of them.  That is not selfishness.  That is self-destructive behavior.  Selfishness is working with other people as appropriate, interacting with them in a free manner, all the while always putting yourself first.  Doctor Strange cares very much about his best friend, Doctor Palmer, as we see evidenced by the value he places on the watch she gave him, treasuring it above all of his other possessions, not because of its material value as a watch, but rather because of the love he feels towards her.  That is very selfish.

It is selfish because it makes him happy to wear that watch.  It makes him happy to embrace the way he feels about her.  The very same it is selfish for him to pursue excellence as a neurosurgeon, because it makes him happy knowing he is the best neurosurgeon in the world, that it makes him happy knowing all the lives he’s saved.  That is what Ayn Rand means when she uses the word selfish, and no other word can takes its place.  It is the way I try to live as well.

This entire Travelogue, “Where is John Galt”, is about travelling the world in that manner and trying to live my life in a completely selfish fashion.  As a superhero, when the world needs saving, Doctor Strange saves it, not because of sense of moral responsibility, but because he is a part of the world, too, and he realizes he is the only one who can save it.  He refuses to make any kind of deal with the dark lord because he refuses to sacrifice the people of the world.  He will neither sacrifice himself to others nor others to himself.  That is what it means to be selfish.  That is what it means to be John Galt.  Who is John Galt?  Well, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it is Doctor Stephen Strange.

Now, that addresses the moral philosophy, the ethics that make Doctor Strange an Objectivist, but what about the metaphysics, the view of the world itself?  In that regard, too, Doctor Strange would have made Ayn Rand proud, but that is also where I find my biggest disagreement with Objectivism and what I hope to explore at this conference.  Objectivism holds that the world has no mystical properties, that everything must be explained by the laws of science and nature.  Objectivism does not believe in the supernatural.  Why, then, am I calling the most mystical superhero of all, the quintessential Objectivist?

Well, it is because of the way he rejects what he is told when arrives at Kamar-Taj until he is given empirical proof.  Once he is given the empirical proof of the supernatural, he seeks out to learn the strict laws of these mystical powers.  He reads everything there is to read about the laws, and then he applies himself to his training the way we would expect an Objectivist to do.  However, he rejects the teachings that don’t make sense, and, while accepting the new laws of the supernatural that he has learned, he only acts in ways that make sense to him within the confines of those laws.

Spoiler alert here.  By taking this Objectivist approach, Doctor Strange is able to become the most powerful sorcerer in the world, even keeping the dark lord himself at bay as he saves the planet.  He does what no one else can do and learns how to turn back time so that he can fight the battle on his terms, and, in the end, the dark lord sees no choice but to forsake his attack on the planet so that he can escape the time loop in which Doctor Strange has ensnared them both.  It is what John Galt would have done.

Now, why then, does Objectivism believe in free will?  I suppose it is for a very similar reason that Kant believes in it, in order to allow for moral theory.  If we believe that free will does not exist, then the moral philosophy of Objectivism becomes meaningless.  However, as Doctor Strange (before his training) and I would both argue, the world consists of only material stuff, and that material stuff is controlled by the laws of science and nature.  Every cell, every atom in my body is controlled by these properties.  Every action I take is the result of how material properties affect the cells in my body.

Where, then, is the room for the idea free will, that some mystical entity called the mind can cause the cells in my body to act in a way that is not subject to the laws of physics and nature?  To argue that the mind can alter than actions of the body is, in my view, a direct affront to the most basic ideas of Objectivist’s rejection of the supernatural.  That is what I hope to learn this weekend, how Objectivism can reconcile its rejection of the supernatural with its need to hold people accountable to its moral philosophy.

Okay, so I will explore those concepts in further detail as the conference progresses, but for now, I will recount the events of Day 0.  I will actually highlight a bit the entire week.  Since I returned from the Borderlands just four days ago, it has been a surprisingly good week.  On Tuesday, I got Mel Gibson’s autograph on my Braveheart Blu-ray, which, for years, had been one of my most desired autographs.  It brought my count of signed Blu-rays of the 1990s Best Pictures winners up to 8 now.  That night, I began my Christmas season rituals by smoking my 2006 Christmas Pipe.

Wednesday night, I got Annette Bening’s autograph on American Beauty, another 1990s Best Picture winner, and made it home in time to watch what was possibly the most historic and interesting game in baseball history, the Cubs ending their 108-year World Series drought, while I smoked my 2007 Christmas Pipe.




Then, yesterday, more autographs, including none other than Viggo Mortissen, King Elessar himself.  That was the night I saw Doctor Strange with my friend, us doing our traditional dinner and movie night, eating way too much food, smoking cigars, and then seeing a movie.  Instead of our usual pizza spot, we instead went to Brother Jimmy’s BBQ.  It was glorious.  The movie, in addition to providing the material for this entry, was a delight.

I woke up this morning with no appetite, still full from last night.  I had packed last night, once more forgoing a suitcase and putting my clothes in my computer bag.  After I did everything I needed to do at the office, I lit up my usual pre-departure Cohiba, went home, got ready, changed into my suit, and took a taxi to the airport.  I still hadn’t had an appetite yet, having eaten so much for dinner last night.  I started getting hungry as I got to the airport, and we spent almost more time navigating the traffic at LGA due to the renovations than we did getting to LGA from my apartment.

After clearing security, I went to the build-your-own burger place and opted for a double cheeseburger topped with bacon, mushrooms, BBQ sauce, cheddar, and onion rings, along with freshly fried potato chips and a seltzer.  I went to the gate and ravenously ate it, completely famished from not having had a bite of food in 17 hours now.



We were soon boarding, and I found myself rather tired as we waited to take off.  We taxied for quite some time, and I think I fell asleep, waking up as they announced we had reached 10,000 feet.  I then proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will soon be making our decent, but I will write again from Atlanta.




Atlanta, Georgia


There is nothing wrong with income inequality.  It is a natural, nay, necessary part of a productive economic system.  Equal is unfair!  Why?  It is quite simple.  Income inequality is the idea that it is wrong that one person gets a much bigger piece of the pie than someone else, but that is the wrong metaphor.  There is no fixed pie.  Instead, each person is free to bake a pie as small or as large as he or she wants and is able.  Does the fact that my pie is bigger than yours mean anything, so long as you have a pie of your own that you baked on your own?  The answer is no, it doesn’t matter.  Me baking a larger pie, so long as I don’t steal flour and butter from your pantry, does not make your pie any smaller.  The size of my pie does not affect the size of your pie.  It is that simple, and that is what Dr. Yaron Brook explained tonight in his keynote speech.

This is the fourth time I have heard him speak, and it is a real treat each time.  In fact, I might even go so far as to say there is no one in the world I more enjoy hear giving a speech.  That said, I always find something on which to disagree with him, and he always brilliantly answers my question.  Tonight was no exception.

When I first met him four years ago, I asked him how he could possibly advocate a philosophy that believes we have no obligation to save an animal species from extinction.  His response?  Something like 99.99% of species that ever existed have gone extinct.  That fact that we currently find certain species to be cute doesn’t give us the right to impose environmental policy.  If people so much love the polar bears, they can buy some land in the north and establish a privately owned polar bear reserve.  Anyone who hunts polar bears on that land would be committing a crime against the land owner.  That was the moment when I came to realize that environmental protectionism should not be in the purview of the government.  I should note that air and water pollution is a specific tort against humans, a tort that can and should be punished.  “Saving the environment” is distinct from those specific torts.

The second time he was giving a speech decrying the welfare state, and I inappropriately asked a question about foreign military policy, which he sidestepped.  The third time, just a few blocks from here, this weekend last year, he was talking about the archetype of the evil businessman.  I asked why Hollywood always tries to get us to hate the businessman for being a businessman before the movie then always has him do something illegal, whether violent or fraudulent.  Without missing a beat, he explained that the liberal narrative required us to equate the shrewd businessman with the evil of violence or fraud, that that would then make it seem like all shrewd businessmen are evil.

Tonight the topic was free will.  He explained what I explained above far more elegantly than I ever could.  He talked about Warren Buffet and Lebron James that, while they were very lucky to be born where and when they were and with the specific skill set that was written into their genetic code, it was not luck alone that made them who they were.

Cue Dumbledore’s famous line from the second Harry Potter book: “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”  Yes, our abilities, along with the circumstances of our birth, play a huge role in shaping who we are, but, like Dumbledore, Dr. Brook argued that our choices are what make the difference between Lebron James and all the other people born with his ability.  I would prefer to use Michael Phelps.  It is not enough that he was born with good genes.  No, he chose to compete.  He chose to train in such an intense manner.  Maybe his natural abilities made him an athlete, but it was his choices that made him the greatest athlete of all time.

The same could be said about Doctor Strange.  He chose to pursue excellence.  He chose to make himself the greatest neurosurgeon in the world.  He chose to apply that same work ethic to become the greatest sorcerer in the multiverse.  Yes, he had abilities that few others had, but he chose to follow through on them.  That is why he was entitled to the drawer of watches, the huge apartment, and the fancy car.  He earned all of that as a neurosurgeon.  He built that, no matter what President Obama might say.

This explains how Objectivism requires free will for its moral philosophy, and Dr. Brook simply was restating what I said above.  On that point, we can all agree.  Any moral philosophy requires free will.  Otherwise, criminal justice is no different than shooting a bear for encroaching on a camp site.  We shoot the bear, not because we believe it acted in the wrong, but rather because it posed a danger, a danger that needed to be abated.  That was where I objected to Dr. Brook.

When it was my turn to ask my question, I said that he had not offered proof of free will, merely that it was necessary for Objectivism.  He answered quite simply that he was offering the economic and moral argument for the recognition of free will and that the philosophers tomorrow would have to answer those questions.  Other students asked similar questions, including one “technical question” about concepts of free will, and he always answered the same, even though these were questions that any philosophy major, including me, could have easily answered.

Then, someone thought it would be a good idea to try and clarify the earlier “technical question” for him, first explaining the four different types of free will and determinism (hard determinism, soft determinism, compatibilism, and libertarian free will), at which point Dr. Brook looked at him in such a patronizing fashion as if to say, “Yes, I know all of this, but that’s not what I’m here to talk about tonight.”  The questioner then continued by offering the names of two philosophers that he should “look into”, as they offer good philosophies of natural law.  The questioner sat down, and I thought Dr. Brook would just move on.  Nope.  He explained that those two philosophers offer good views on natural law but that they were at odds in key ways on the Objectivist view of natural law, and he mentioned a third philosopher of natural law in the process.  That’s Dr. Brook for you.  Tomorrow, I guess, we’ll hear about the philosophy of free will.

All right, so I’m a bit a disjointed here, and I need to get back to recounting today’s events in their proper order.  After I closed on the plane, we soon landed, and I made my way to the rental car area, which was a bit of a process.  My name was listed on the board, but, instead of the space number being next to my name, it was just stars.  I had to go the counter.

The agent said my license had been flagged, and I needed to call a customer service number to resolve it before they could rent to me.  Customer service had closed about an hour ago.  Huh?!?  I then asked him what I should do.  He kept saying I needed to call them on Monday and that he couldn’t rent to me until I resolved it.  I would be back in New York by Monday.  I asked him again what to do, same response.  I decided I would make it easier for him.  I asked him if I should just go to another car rental company, and he would cancel the rental.  He would not answer that.  He repeated himself again from earlier.  Now I was getting angry.  In a sharply measured voice, I told him that it was a yes or no question and repeated the question.  He said he wouldn’t give me a yes or no answer.  It reminded me of the guard from the end of Atlas Shrugged, when Dagny kept asking him if he would stand aside so that she could rescue John Galt.  He kept saying he wasn’t authorized to make that decision.  Dagny shot him.  I asked for his manager.

His manager showed me the screen, saying that it said DNR (Do Not Rent), and that they couldn’t rent to me until it was resolved with corporate.  I then asked her what to do, if I should go to another car rental company, and they would cancel the rental.  She said that was probably for the best.  I thanked her for her help and walked to Alamo.  I had a car 10 minutes later, but it was almost 7 PM now, and the schedule said “Dinner and Keynote Speech” at 7 PM.  I got stuck in traffic, and it was about 7:30 PM when I got to the hotel.

I went straight in, and I still saw a large crowd.  They were running late, and registration/check-in was still going on.  Ah, as I’m writing this, Dr. Brook just walked out to get his car from the valet.  Okay, so I got my free drink and free books, including his new book entitled “Equal is Unfair”.  I went into the hall, and I saw desserts in front of every seat.  Wait, had I missed dinner?  I sat down and asked the person next to me.  No, they hadn’t served dinner.  They just brought out the desserts first.  Huh?  Well, I had my bread and wine, followed by half of my cheesecake.  Then they brought out the main course, roast chicken, followed by the rest of my cake.

Then came the moment for which I had been waiting.  Dr. Yaron Brook got up on the stage for his keynote speech, which I outlined above.  After his speech, I took a picture with him, then went to reception to get my room key.  I went up to my room and had a coffee before coming downstairs, where I sat outside, lit up my 2008 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it.  Curiously and not by design at all, this was the exact same Christmas Pipe I smoked here last year.  Though Atlanta, Georgia as noteworthy of a dateline as the ones under which I have previously smoked this pipe, datelines that included Vienna, Austria and Xi’an, China, it is place that always holds a special place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment