Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Because It's There: The Experience - Day 0 - When I Set Out to See the World

“Because It’s There: The Experience”


11/18/16, “When I Set Out to See the World”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)


When Sir George Mallory was asked why he wanted to climb Mount Everest, he responded with a simple three-word answer that would become one of those most famous phrases ever uttered: “Because it’s there!”  In a few days, I will be visiting his birthplace and boyhood home.  Until then, I will be exploring various World Heritage Sites across England.  When I set out to see there world, I did so, not because I thought it would be fun or educational, no, I did so for one simple reason: because it’s there!  When I travel, why do I stop at this National Park Site or that World Heritage Site, about which I have no interest beyond its NPS or WHS designation?  Why?  Because it’s there!

So much of what I do on my travels is done for that simple reason.  No one needs to visit all 27 Olympic Stadiums around the world or all Seven Wonders of the World, but I do it.  Why?  Because it’s there!  Visit the tallest building in the world?  Sure.  Why?  Because it’s there!  Visit the Pyramids of Giza?  Sure.  Why?  Because it’s there!  Drive from Yellowstone to Glacier and stop at the Montana State Capitol?  Sure.  Why?  BECAUSE IT’S THERE!

That’s all there is to it.  There is no need for further elaboration.  Too many people need a reason for visiting some place or some activity to do while they’re there.  This Travelogue contains no weeks at beach resorts.  It will contains no multi-day stays in famous cities to “get a feel” of the place.  No, this Travelogue contains my quest to visit various sites.  Why do I visit these sites?  Say it with me.  “Because it’s there!”  Mallory was on to something when he said that.  He knew that those three words alone were reason enough to climb the tallest mountain in the world, just as they are reason enough to visit each and every one of the sites I visit in this Travelogue.  No one needs to visit Durham Castle, especially not someone flying all the way from across the Pond, but I do it.  Why?  BECAUSE IT’S THERE!!!

My readers should have understood this by now from reading my Travelogue, but I have never spelled it out before in such detail.  Since I opened this Travelogue, I have been to hundreds of World Heritage Sites and National Parks, dozens of National and State Legislative Buildings, and almost every Olympic Stadium.  Because it’s there.  That’s why I went to each and every one of them.  When I set out to see the world, it was those three simple words that informed all of my travel.  As I built my lists and my goals and worked on executing them, those three words, because it’s there, served as my ever present guide, and it is with that in mind that I am embarking upon this trip, just the same as I have embarked on each and every trip like this I have taken.

Today was an extremely typical Day 0.  In fact, it was far more like what I used to consider a usual Day 0 than most of my trips in recent memory.  I went to a movie last night and came home and packed.  I woke up this morning and wheeled my suitcase to the office, like usual.  I finished up whatever I had open at work and prepared my paperwork, like usual.  I had my Hop Won pre-departure meal, like usual.  I lit up a Cohiba Siglo II for my pre-departure cigar, like usual.

I had class and then came back to finish a few things up at the office before leaving.  I took a car to the airport and almost fell asleep en route.  I expect to sleep very well on this flight.  I will need it, since it will be quite some time before I have another chance for a good night’s sleep.  I got to the airport and breezed through security.  I headed to the gate, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will no close so that I can try to get something to eat before the flight, though I guess they will feed us en route.

No comments:

Post a Comment