Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Because It's There: The Experience - Day 1 - Cornwall

11/19/16, “Cornwall”

St Agnes, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom (Wheal Coates)

This is not a site most tourists go to.  Why did I come here?  Well, as I explained in last night’s entry, the answer is quite simple.  Because it’s there!  That is the reason for all of the sites of this trip, and it is the reason I have driven five hours here from Heathrow and will drive another five hours back to my hotel in London.  This was it for the day.  Just this one site.  It is very familiar to the when I came to London in January 2014, a similar drive into the west, similar weather, too.  Last time it was the Dorset Coast, this time Cornwall.  Just to take a few pictures, write this entry, and drive back.  Why?  Because it’s there.  I have lots more to say, but it is cold and raining, and I want to get back to my car, so I will be brief.

After I closed, I soon boarded the plane, falling asleep as soon as we took off, waking up for dinner, which was quite good and consisted of beef, potatoes, wine, and cheesecake.  I slept again until breakfast, granola and coffee.  Once we landed, I made my way through the familiar airport and to Hertz.  Okay, the rain is really picking up.  There was still an issue with DNR, but they overrode it once I showed them proof of payment of the open invoice.

I lit up a Davidoff Yamasa Toro and put on Red.  I was on my way, stopping for an English breakfast, the usual stuff, en route, then having a Graycliff.  After Red, I switched to my favorite Avril album.  I was dead tired, to the point of no longer driving safely, so I pulled to a rest station for a nap after the cigar.  I lit up a Carlos Torano and was back on the around, only to start to fall asleep again.  I stopped for another nap after that cigar.  I then got a traditional Cornish Pasty with wedges and espresso at the rest stop.  I lit up a Gurkha and soon entered into Cornwall.  It looked like everything I imagined it to look like.  It was raining, and I knew that would pose a challenge.  I got to Wheal Coates and geared up for the walk.

With some difficulty, I found the spot for the inscription photo, lit up a Romeo y Julieta and took a ceremonial picture.  What about my entry?  Where would I write that?  Well, I realized that the ruins in the picture would provide good shelter, so I headed towards them.  They did.  I hugged up against the wall inside one of those ruins and sat down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can back to the shelter of my car and drive to London with no further ado.


London, England, United Kingdom


Five months ago, almost to the day, from this very spot I wrote a very different entry.  It was an entry of a failure.  I rarely write entries of that type.  Few people measure their travels in terms like failure and success.  I do.  Whether I failed or succeeded at my goals matters far more to me than whether or not I enjoyed the trip.  In fact, when I wrote that entry of failure, it was after a highly enjoyable evening with my best friend, someone whom I’ve come to love as a sister but hadn’t seen in almost two years.  If enjoyment was the criteria, it would have been a different entry, but no, it’s not, “Because it would be fun”, it’s, “Because it’s there!”

In fact, in those past five months, I have spent two very enjoyable evenings with her in New York, no need to travel to do that.  No, that trip was an abject failure, and it was all my fault.  A car accident that was my fault, which was only compounded by oversleeping two mornings in a row.  I failed.  There were no other words.  That was not necessitated this trip.  Tomorrow I will visit the sites that I missed in June, then, Monday, I will visit the remaining sites on the island of Great Britain.  “Because it’s there!” will be the reason I visit each and every one of those sites over the next two days.  Today was a success, but there was nothing enjoyable about today.  It was brutal.

The day has come to a close, and now, here I am smoking my 2006 Christmas Pipe, the same pipe I have smoked to start off so many other great trips.  The same pipe I smoked in New Delhi to start off that Thanksgiving trip, the same pipe I smoked in Toronto, Ushuaia, and Beijing to start off those Christmas trips, and, now, I’m starting it in London to start off this Thanksgiving trip.  This trip is so similar to the one I took in January 2014.  During that trip, I flew into LHR, went to Bath, Stonehenge, and Dorset, came back to The Savoy, had dinner at a great restaurant, stayed overnight at The Savoy, went to Olympic Stadium (or two) in the morning, then made my way to Scotland and flew home from Edinburgh.

Today, I went to Cornwall instead of those other sites, and I will be making my way to Liverpool tomorrow and flying out of Manchester on Monday, instead of Edinburgh.  I am glad to have seen Cornwall, even if for no other reason than because it’s there, and I would have loved to have had more time, but today was just such a shitty day.  I succeeded, though, and that’s all that counts.  I didn’t get enough sleep on the day, and that messed everything up, since I had to keep stopping for naps, and I wasn’t fully rested.  I’ll be lucky to get 6 hours of sleep tonight, but that should be enough for a recharge.  Tomorrow is looking like another 6-hour night, too, depending on my evening activities in Liverpool.

After I closed at Cornwall, I headed back to the car and could not wait to get back on the road.  It was still raining, and sunset was fast approaching.  I would have liked to get an authentic Cornish game hen, but even that wasn’t an option, as the restaurants would not open for dinner until 6 PM, and I could not wait that long.  I stopped for a nap then lit up a Nub.  I was listening to BBC at this point, which was a welcome break from Taylor and Avril.  The top story of the day was the offensive attack on Vice President-Elect Pence at a Broadway show.  BBC did an excellent job reporting on it with the highest standard of neutrality.  I then stopped at a McDonald’s for a late lunch or whatever it was, but it was a very different menu from back home.  It was quite good.

I lit up a Blind Man’s Bluff and took another nap after the cigar.  My reader should note that each nap I am recording was the result of me being certain I would fall asleep at the wheel if I didn’t take the nap.  Driving on the left was no longer an issue, but my tiredness absolutely was.  After the nap, I lit up an Aging Room and made my way straight to the hotel, hitting the all-too-familiar brutal traffic as I entered London.  It was after 10 PM by the time I arrived at the hotel.

This is the fourth trip I have taken to Britain, and I have stayed at The Savoy each time.  I know no other hotels in London.  I think it would be safe to say that this is the hotel in the world where I have spent the most nights, probably also the one where I have stayed on the most trips, as well, four trips now to London.  I checked in and learned that the Gordon Ramsay restaurant would be serving dinner until 11 PM.  I relaxed a bit in the room and then headed down.

They had a “Vesper Martini” on the menu, which I ordered, of course, “shaken, not stirred”.  The waitress had no idea what I meant.  How the fuck do you serve a drink that was invented by Ian Fleming and not know his most famous quote?!?  The steaks sounded really good, but I did not feel a need to get steak at a fancy London restaurant.  I could get better steaks back home.  What can Gordon Ramsay do with grilled steaks that a good steakhouse in NYC cannot do?  Instead, I got the seafood cocktail and then the venison for my main course, just like I did on my last two fancy meals in London.  It was quite good, but the portions were way too small.  It didn’t matter.  I was full by the end of the meal.

I headed up to the room and made my preparations, including changing into more comfortable clothes and filling up my 2006 Christmas Pipe.  I then headed down to the same spot where I wrote in June and tried to light up my pipe, but the wind wasted my pack of matches.  Fortunately, the doorman had a lighter, and that worked.  I then headed to my spot, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment