Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Because It's There - The Experience - Day 9 - One Day in Qatar

11/27/16, “One Day in Qatar”
Doha, Qatar (Banana Island)

Before the Gulf States discovered oil, their economy was sustained by a different natural resource: pearls.  The State of Qatar has not forgotten that heritage, and, throughout the country, signs of it are to be found in abundance, as I saw today.  My time here is at an end, and what a day it has been.  All that remains now is the Return Journey.  A boat ride back to the mainland, a brief walk to my hotel to change into my travelling suit, a taxi to the airport, a very long flight back to Kennedy, and then a taxi ride to the office.  It is has been an epic trip so far, and this magical place is where it comes to a close.

I am now on Banana Island, a privately-owned island that is managed as a resort and the home of the #1-rated restaurant in the city.  That is the reason I found myself on the island, and it serves as the apex of my trip.  I have just finished one of the most luxurious experiences of my life, including one of the best meals I’ve ever had, and it has been a great way to end a great trip.  After I finish this entry, I will begin the Return Journey, and I will reflect more on Qatar as a whole from the airport and on the trip as a whole en route.

For now, I will say merely that it has been a wonderful day, and it has whetted my appetite for further exploration of the Gulf States.  I cannot say that my time in Nepal whetted my appetite for further exploration of that Subcontinent.  Usually my entries are designed to fill out the duration of my smoke, but I am not smoking anything for this entry, so I will just get to recording the events of the day.

After I closed last night, I headed up and went to bed almost immediately, though I was delayed somewhat by the awkward configuration of the lighting controls, which made it unnecessarily difficult to charge my phone if I turned the lights off.  I slept as late as I could before heading down for breakfast.  It was a traditional Arabian breakfast, which I always enjoy as much as I do a traditional Continental spread.  The breads and meats and cheeses put to shame anything that Europe can provide, with the notable exception of the hotels in the Black Forest.  The hot foods, though, were sorely disappointing with pork not being available.  I managed to put together a plate though, and I paired the whole meal with coffee.

After breakfast, I went up to my room to get ready and to plan my day.  I decided that I would walk to the Amiri Diwan royal palace, which would serve as the capitol building, since the emirate of Qatar does not have an independent legislature, then go to the souq to get my souvenirs, then come back to the hotel.  My plan then was to change into my travelling suit and leave my stuff at the hotel while I went to the World Heritage Site and came back.  After that, I would have my meals at the hotel and do some stuff on my computer outside until it was time to leave for my flight.  The first half of that plan worked well, but the second half not so much.  I lit up Vegas Robaina Canada exclusive and walked to Amiri Diwan, which provided an excellent photo op, then headed to Souq Waqif to get my souvenirs.

It was a souq no different than all the other souqs (or shuks or bazaars) I had visited around the Middle East.  I got some keychains, quickly finding the touristy part of the souq (as in the part that wasn’t selling live rabbits and spices and clothes), but I couldn’t find a flag pin.  I asked each vendor until I found one who had them.  I bought three.  I even got a little replica of the souq itself.  Satisfied with my souvenir shopping, I went back to the hotel and packed, but it was too hot to wear my suit, so I left that there, too.

I had arranged for a car to take me to Al Zubarah, the highlight of which was an iconic fort that was their equivalent of the Eiffel Tower.  It was slightly over an hour away, and we hit some heavy rain on the way.  I didn’t realize that a desert could get rain that heavy.  I just hoped that it would clear up by the time we got to the fort.  It did.  Or, more accurately, the fort was beyond the range of the storm.  When we got there, I was entirely confused.  There were a lot of people there who looked neither like tourists nor staff, so I had no idea what was going on.  There did not appear to be any kind of souvenir shops or VC, but the fort was outdoors, and it was dry.  I found the spot of the inscription photo with ease, lit up an H. Upmann, and took my ceremonial picture.  Okay, cool, now what?

The people spoke very little English, so that added to the difficulty of finding out was going on.  I was allowed to walk inside the fort, so that took about two minutes, and then I found the Plaque next to the fort.  It was designed to look like an oyster or pearling ship or something like that.  There was also a little museum, but that was underwhelming.  I had not even finished half of my cigar at this point, and the ruins of the town were still being excavated and not yet open to the public.  We made our way back to Doha and got caught in the rainstorm again.

The roads were completely flooded, them not being used to such rain, which caused some brutal traffic and at least one bad accident that we saw on the side of the road.  Eventually we arrived back in Doha, and I asked the driver to leave me at the souq so that I could get my replica of the fort, which I didn’t get before.  It was exactly like Oman.  I lit up a Graycliff and found my souvenir.  It was now time for dinner.

I had chosen the #1-rated restaurant for dinner, and Google Maps said that it was short walk away from the souq.  I got there, and there was some confusion.  I left my cigar outside in the, unbeknownst to me at the time, flooded ashtray and went inside.  It turned out that I needed to take a boat to their private island, which was where the resort was.  Okay, I arranged all of that and retrieved my cigar.

It was quite a process, but I was soon on the boat to the island, which was quite a bit away.  I got to the island and walked to the restaurant, planning on finishing my cigar before dinner, but it was completely waterlogged and left me looking like a chimney sweep.  I ditched the cigar and went outside for dinner.  It was a completely luxurious experience with obsequious service.

For my appetizer I chose an assortment of fried cheese and spinach, which I would follow with a specialty called lamb ouzi rice, basically lamb over rice.  I got some soda water to pair with it, along with lighting up an Hoyo de Monterrey.  They also gave me holy water from Mecca at the start of the meal.  That was something.  The appetizer was really good, but the main course was out of this world.  It was an assortment of heavenly flavors, one of the best dishes I’ve ever eaten.  Add to all of this the perfect weather outside, the nice breeze, and the view of the Doha skyline, it was just an incredible experience.

After dinner, they brought me a hookah, and I tried the grape with mint shisha, which was another incredible experience.  Tea and pistachio-based deserts were soon brought to complement that.  I even had a personal attendant tending to the hot coals for the hookah.  After the hookah, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can begin the Return Journey.  I don’t want to leave this island or this country even or end this trip, but the time has come, and I can tarry no longer.


Hamad International Airport, Qatar (DOH)



I seemed to have overpacked this pipe, much as I did my luggage with souvenirs and cigars I have acquired over the past 9 Days.  I have plenty of time, but I do not have enough to say to write while I smoke this for close to an hour.  Besides, the tight packing makes from an equal tight draw on the pipe.  It is my 2015 Christmas Pipe, which I have only smoked one time outside of the state of New York.  It was about nine months ago, also at an airport (LIM), also at the end of an epic trip (Peru), but it was after learning news that would change my life.  While the news would become irrelevant only two months later, the chain of events that it set in motion continue to affect me even to this day.  Enough about the morose of the last nine months of my life.  Qatar is the wealthiest country in the world, and it shows.

The airport, the roads, the hotels, everything oozes with wealth.  To them, it seems, having the nicest airport or hotels in the world is more a prestige thing than an economic investment.  It is something that I have noticed to be true in this entire region.  They take pride in having the best airport and airline in the region, not because it is profitable, but because they want to be the best of the emirates.  Dubai builds the tallest building in the world, Riyadh has to do one better.  Doha gets ranked the best airport in the world, Dubai has to outdo them.  They want to be considered the go-to tourist and business travel spot in the region.  They want to be the airport where people want to connect, the airline people want to fly.  My experience and my gut confirm this.  The idea that someone would come to one of these countries on business and tourism and not rave to their friends about how wonderful a place it is to visit would a disaster in their opinion.  Yes, I am doing the same.

Doha is a wonderful place to visit.  It had the entire feel of South Florida or an upscale version of the Bahamas or Cayman Islands.  My tourist interests were served well with my 24 hours, but someone looking for a relaxing 10 days could easily find that on Banana Island.  The same could be said for Dubai, and, I’m sure, Bahrain and Kuwait.  This region is a severely underrated tourist destination.  Oh, one minor point of correction.  Manama is the capital of Bahrain.  It does not have an eponymous capital city like I implied last night.

Wow, I can barely focused in this smoke-filled room.  I can’t remember ever being in an airport smoking lounge so smoky.  Even the one in Kathmandu was just dirty, not smoky.  Okay, I really don’t have much more to say about Qatar or the Gulf States, so I will, I suppose, reflect on the trip as a whole.  I think it is fair to say that any trip I take that is 9 Days or more will necessary be a Top Ten contender.  The reason is, I will not use those vacations for a trip that is going to be anything less than epic.  Look at my past three Thanksgiving trips, all of which I used one vacation day or none.  Egypt, India, and Iran.  Even Cuba was only three vacation days, and that was “Cuba Complete.”

What are the extended trips I took over past three years?  The Christmas Trips were World War I: The Experience, Antarctica, and The Orient.  Summer trips included Eurotrip, the 47th State, Alaska, TLGSRTA, and Rio 2016: The Experience.  Passover trips included my two trips to the Lesser Antilles and the CA-4 trip.  Prior to that, there was the National Parks of the American West, Greece, England/Norway, and Israel.  Rio 2016 remains the GOAT, and NPotAW is untouchable as silver.  Where then does this trip rank among the others?

It clearly outranks all of my weekend trips, even the summer Harry Potter trip, which this trip was meant to remedy of the failings of and did so gloriously during Phase 1.  That’s another thing.  This trip had 3 distinct phases, each with their own flavor.  Phase 1 in England was dramatically different from Phase 2 in Nepal, which was dramatically different from Phase 3 in Qatar.  Most of the other trips were either 1-phase or 2-phase.  Eurotrip had 3 Phases, technically, but that was only meant to maintain my sanity over 18 Days.  Alaska had phases, too, but the entire trip was in the Pacific Northwest, not each phase on a different Subcontinent.  I suppose that England and Norway were separate phases of that trip, as well, but they are very similar places.  TLGSRTA adventure had 2 distinct phases, the National Parks with my mother, then the Canadian Prairie on my own.  That was a great trip.  Okay, so, now for the big questions.

First place is Rio 2016, second is NPotAW, and third is Eurotrip.  That’s when it starts to get interesting.  What comes next?  Alaska and Antarctica are natural contenders, but I think this trip merits a higher ranking than Antarctica.  Everest is on par with Antarctica, so the 3 Phases are what breaks the tie.  I do not think, however, it can beat the epicness of the 18-Day Alaska trip, which I’ll place at fourth.  The shear perfection of this trip, the flawless way with which I executed everything, making up for my failures five months ago are what adds to the value of this trip.  Everything, and I mean everything was done perfectly.  It had to be done perfectly to get all three Completes, and it was.  I had no margin for error, and it all came through.  That is why it easily beats 47th State, Israel, and all the Passover trips.

That just leaves TLGSRTA, Greece, and England/Norway.  Of those three, I would easily rank England/Norway the highest, as it was my first trip to Europe, and they both remain two of my favorite countries in the world.  How, then, do I compare saying “England Complete” to seeing the Palace of Westminster for the first time?  How do I compare Nepal to Norway?  It is a hard comparison to make, and I’m inclined to say it’s a tie.  Both clearly beat Greece and TLGSRTA adventure, which, while both great trips, are top ten trips, not top five.

For the record, having these two tied at fifth, we would have Antarctica at seventh, Greece at eighth, Israel at ninth, and TLGRSTA at tenth.  World War I: The Experience and CA-4 would earn Honorable Mentions at 11th and 12th.  Okay, I have to publish now, so I want to sit on this final determination a bit, whether or not this trip is tied for fifth with my first England trip, or if I want to break the tie.  On that note, I will close and, in accordance with tradition, treat the entirety of the Return Journey after I land in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment