Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Ayn Rand Con 2016: The Experience Day 2 - Guy Fawkes

11/5/16, “Guy Fawkes”

Atlanta, Georgia


Remember, remember the Fifth of November, the Gunpowder treason and plot; I know of no reason why the Gunpowder treason should ever be forgot.  Was Guy Fawkes an Objectivist?  In some ways, yes, but the fact that he initiated violence against a government who did him no harm make completely discounts the sincerity of his beliefs and the fervor with which he pursued them.  Further, while we could likely successfully argue that the British Government in Fawkes’s time was an oppressive regime, Fawkes did not intend to replace it with a less oppressive one, merely instead to replace the Protestant Monarch with a Catholic one.  He was nothing less than a religious zealot.

However, would anyone in their right mind argue that the British Crown was responsible for inciting Fawkes’s plot by splitting from the Catholic Church and allowing a Protestant Monarch to sit the throne?  No, of course not.  To do so would be to deny that Fawkes had free will in his treason.  Why, then, do people on the left condemn artists for their depictions of the prophet Mohammed as inciting Radical Islamic Terrorism?  In fact, why, then do people on the right condemn the religion of Islam for leading to Radical Islamic Terrorism?  No, what both of those arguments ignore is the idea that each individual terrorist had free will in choosing to commit acts of terrorism.  The subversion of free speech requires the denial of the responsibilities of free will.  It is on that topic and more that Day 2 of our conference was focused.

My readers should by this point understand my view of free will, that it lies outside the purview of the explanations of the physical universe, and cannot prove that exists.  The fact that I do not believe it exists at all is secondary to the fact that we can neither disprove nor prove its existence.  We must, therefore, act as if free will exists.  It is ironic, since, if free will does not exist, our actions are predetermined, and therefore this debate is irrelevant.  If it does exist, then, of course, we are right to be acting as if it exists.  It is my version of Pascal’s Wager.  We can even call it Margolin’s Wager.

As with yesterday’s entry, for the benefit of my readers, I will focus first on the ideas discussed at the conference before I more formally recount the events of the day.  The first speaker was Onker Ghate, the “philosopher” Dr. Brook kept mentioning last night.  He was followed by a panelist of other speakers, including more philosophers and Dr. Brook himself.  I can’t remember who said what entirely, but the ideas are what is important.

A recent trend has been to treat people has beholden to their emotions, and this is why we see things such as trigger warnings and safe spaces on campuses.  Colleges will suppress free speech on campus with the unspoken assumption that people will have an emotional reaction to hearing certain offensive speech, and that they lack the free will to control their response.  However, this suppression, this attack on free will, creates a situation where people can now only interact through force, though physical persuasion, rather than through logic, through mental persuasion.

The speaker then used a metaphor that I found quite amusing, given my “bear theory” of morality.  By blaming the people who trigger the attacks (whether terrorist or otherwise), you ignore the free will of the attacker.  This is not the same as triggering a bear attack by filling a fellow camper’s backpack with meat.  The person who commits violence is an individual human being who must be held accountable for his choices, regardless of what may or may not have “triggered” him.

They used the Orlando attacks to further illustrate this point.  Both the right, by arguing that his violence was a result of his environment (the teachings of Islam), and the left, by arguing his violence was the result of his genetic makeup (mental illness or some similar explanation), completely ignore the attacker’s choice in this matter.

Dr. Ghate had also offered some more technical support of the Objectivist view of free will, saying that we had choice in whether to think rationally or irrationally, whether to act on the facts or ignore the facts, that this view of free will was directly in line with the Objectivist view of choice.  I was still not convinced, but more on that later, as the Q&A period further explored that.

Then Dr. Brook spoke again.  He reiterated the idea that it is not religious teachings or texts that lead to violence, but rather the free will of the people who initiate those attacks.  He related Islamophobia to the fear of immigrants.  He reminded us that we were supposed to be a cultural melting pot, that we used to invite people to come to our country and contribute the best of their culture to our melting pot, while letting the worst wash away.  However, that is no longer the case, since both sides have forgotten about the melting pot.  The left has rejected the melting pot in favor of multiculturalism, while those on the right have outright rejected the integration of outsiders.  That new divide is what is heightening the recent immigration debate.

He also rightfully contended that, if you build a wall, only the most desperate people will sneak in, leaving behind the better immigrants who might have come if the border was not as protected.  He closed by preempting the argument that immigrants take welfare, and that we should reject them for that reason.  He said that he would sooner see an illegal immigrant who has been doing everything in his power to survive take welfare than someone who was born in this country and squandered the opportunities provided by the circumstances of his birth.

There was a break before the Q&A, and I caught him in the hallway surrounded by a group.  When it came my turn to talk, I questioned his moral relativism, saying that, if we accept that (government) welfare is evil, then we must also contend that all (government) welfare is evil, and it doesn’t matter if the welfare an illegal immigrant receives is less evil than welfare a citizen receives.  By rejecting the welfare state, I argued, that we need to reject any and all new welfare recipients.  He disagreed, saying that perhaps the more practical solution was to overwhelm the welfare state with new recipients and cause it to collapse upon itself.

The Q&A allowed Dr. Ghate to address the issue that had been bothering me the most.  A student asked, as elegantly as I could have, if mental processes are part of the physical world, shouldn’t they be subject to the physical laws of cause and effect?  In other words, that is my big objection to the Objectivist position on free will.  He said, quite simply, that the physical and the mental are two distinct parts of reality but that neither of them are supernatural.  He reminded us that we can observe mental processes, so we know they are real, but they exist outside of the physical properties.  It reminded me of another Dumbledore quote, this one from the last book.  “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it is not real?”

Yes, mental processes are very real, and I was satisfied with Dr. Ghate’s explanation, just as I was satisfied with Dumbledore’s, but it still fails to answer the hard question of mental causation.  If the mental world is distinct from the physical world, how do mental processes cause an effect in the physical world?  In other words, how does me thinking I would like to scratch and itch cause my arm to move?  That may very well be unanswerable.

In the afternoon session, a panel further discussed free speech on campus.  One of the panelist argued that students should have the right to hear, and reject, unpopular and offensive ideas, that they do not need to be protected from every minor insult (microagressions).  However, private universities, he allowed, such as BYU, should have an absolute right to set their own guidelines on speech and speakers on campus, so long as they have consistent and publicized guidelines and stick to those guidelines.

The other panelist argued that perhaps universities should set basic standards of decency to protect students’ ability to receive a proper education, but, when in doubt, to err on the side of free speech.  Free speech prevents double standards about what speech different people might find offensive.  By erring towards free speech, both panelists agreed, eventually the truth will win out.

Alright, that was the bulk what was discussed at my sessions, but I still need to recount the events of the day.  I woke up a little before 8 AM and raced to the Waffle House, the same Waffle House I went last year.  I love that place.  It is a always a real treat for me to go there whenever I’m in the South.  I wanted as traditional of a Southern breakfast as possible, so I got a pecan waffle, of course, bacon and city ham, grits, and hash browns with mushrooms and onions, along with coffee.  It was all quite good.

After breakfast, I headed back to the hotel, getting there just in time for 8:45 AM session and more coffee.  After the panels, we took a group photo, and I got my car to head to Macon for lunch and to see a National Park Site.  There was bad traffic, but I did my usual ritual of lighting up a Davidoff Yamasa Toro and listening to Red.  Soon enough, I was in Macon at Georgia’s “most iconic restaurant”, H&H restaurant, where soul food was said to have really originated.

I got there right before they closed and ordered the traditional “meat, bread, and 3 [sides]”, along with more coffee.  I opted for fried chicken for my meat and mashed potato, squash, and succotash for my sides.  It was all quite good, and I scarfed it down before heading to the NPS, Ocmulgee National Monument.  I was running behind schedule, and I didn’t want to miss the 4:45 PM session back in Atlanta.


I lit up a Romeo y Julieta, and, thanks to bad information on Google Maps, wound up going the wrong way.  I lost about 10 minutes, but every minute counted.  Eventually, I found the right place.  It was a Native American site, one that preserved the remnants of the Woodland Indians.  I forced myself not to make a joke about the Silvan Elves (also known as the wood elves).  It was so similar to the other Native American NPS I have visited, so it was just a stamp and picture for me.  I did that and got back on the road, stressed that I would now miss the beginning of the session.

I only missed the first 20 minutes.  After the session, I went up to my room and took a nap.  After my nap, I came down, sat outside, lit up my Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as I will soon be heading out for the party, and SNL is right afterwards, so I will also publish now.

No comments:

Post a Comment