Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Because It's There: The Experience - Day 4 - Kamar-Taj


11/22/16, “Kamar-Taj”

Kathmandu, Nepal


If my reader thought that Doha was my final destination for the trip and expected to read a week’s worth of entries set in Arabia, he or she should would be mistaken.  No, this Phase of the trip is “Doctor Strange: The Experience”, not “Aladdin: The Experience”.  Like Doctor Strange, I have made the journey from New York to Kathmandu.  Though I am not in search of a sorcerous solution to my ailments, after just a short few hours here, I can imagine how, if I believed in the supernatural, this would be the kind of place you would expect to find the ancient sanctuary of Kamar-Taj.

This whole city drips with a mystical energy, and it feels as foreign as any land I have ever visited.  Only nearby India and Iran come close, which is ironic, since those were also both countries I visited on Thanksgiving trips.  This will be my most ambitious Thanksgiving trip yet, consisting of three phases.

To my readers who were expecting those Arabian entries, don’t worry, I will return to Doha on my way back for a brief Phase 3.  I am now in Phase 2, and that will be spent entirely here in Nepal.  Iran, India, Egypt, and now Nepal, those have been my four Thanksgiving trips, and they are each entirely exotic locations.  My friend Raymond will be meeting me here soon, though he was supposed to meet me this afternoon but had issues with his flight.  Together, we will be embarking on an epic journey from Kathmandu to Lumbini, which is considered the birthplace of the Lord Buddha.  It will be a trip to remember, and, here in Kathmandu, Phase 2 begins.

I am now smoking my 2010 Christmas Pipe.  On my three Christmas trips, this is the pipe I smoked in Quebec, Istanbul, and the Bransfield Strait.  I have also smoked it in Lake Placid and the capitals of Belize and the Bahamas.  I am always reluctant to displace a smoking aboard the Corinthian, but this smoking of the 2010 Christmas Pipe beats them all.  I’m in fucking Kamar-Taj.  I can see the Swayambhu shrine out my window, and that was one of the many filming locations in Kathmandu used for Doctor Strange.  Unfortunately, the pollution of the city makes for a very blurry picture at night.  The moment I got off the airport at Kathmandu, I knew I was in a magical place, and I expect the next few days to be nothing short of pure magic.

After I closed en route to Doha, they soon brought the food, and I was beyond starving.  It was a beef dish, and I ravenously ate my fill, having an almost empty stomach.  I fell asleep soon after my dinner, but we landed at Doha all too soon.  I was not properly rested.  More, I had been so low on caffeine that I had a splitting headache.  I needed coffee, proper Arabic coffee, which had been lacking from my time in London, where only espresso and tea served my caffeine needs.  My flight to Kathmandu would depart in 2 hours, so I expected to have to race through border control and security screening again, but no such thing occurred.  Instead, the transfer passengers were lead straight into the departure area with no formalities whatsoever.  That was odd.

I headed to get some coffee, but they were out of Arabic coffee.  Instead I got a Turkish coffee with a bagel and lox.  Talk about a clash of cultures.  I scarfed it all down and headed to the duty-free shop, where I found very well-priced cigars, picking up a box of H. Upmann cigars.  They were about half of what they should have been for cigars of that quality and size.  I went to the smoking lounge and lit up a Cohiba from the 3-pack that I had also gotten, but I was tight on time, and I couldn’t finish it.  I was soon boarding my plane, and that’s when it hit me.

I was actually doing this.  I was going to Kamar-Taj.  I was going to the Land of the Buddha.  I was going to a city that many people probably don’t even think exists: Kathmandu.  I watched the original Disney “Alice in Wonderland” en route, which had its moments, and they soon brought out breakfast, but I was already fed, so I just picked it at.  Coffee and juice was what I really wanted.  After the movie, I fell asleep, and we soon landed.  Clearing border control was a bit of a process, and I was tight on time to get to Swayambhu shrine before dark.  If I didn’t, it would be a real hassle to come back later, as it is in a very inconvenient part of the city.

I got some cash from the ATM and took a taxi to my hotel.  Traffic was brutal, non-stop and bumper-to-bumper, but it was really no different than when I visited India two years ago.  However, I was just as shocked today as I was in 2014.  I was fighting against the sun to get to the hotel in time.  The hotel was located right next to the shrine, so it would be easy, but I knew how quickly it gets dark after sunset this close to the equator.  Check-in was quick and easy, and I grabbed my stuff and headed straight out.  It was still about ten minutes before sunset, so I was good.

Lighting up one of my new H. Upmanns on the way, I trudged up the stairs to the shrine, realizing that the inscription photo was actually taken from the other side, and it was no easy task, especially at this elevation.  I was accosted by vendors, guides, and beggars on the way, but I carried on.  When I got to the top, I found some nice souvenir stands and got decorative Buddhist prayer bells.  I was then fully accosted by a beggar woman and her children, who followed me around as I attempted to find the inscription spot.  I kept telling them no, but they kept following.  Eventually I found the inscription spot, and but the wind was too strong to properly hold the printout.  Without my asking, she held the other side of the printout so that I could take a proper ceremonial picture.

Since she had technically provided me a service, I provided her with a small amount of money.  That was when the older child continued to follow me as I returned to the vendors to buy a keychain.  The view from the top of the shrine was a breathtaking vista of Kathmandu.  Though I had seen a similar vista in Tehran, I still couldn’t quite believe it, houses packed tight as far as the eye could see.  I then made the treacherous journey back down the stairs and back to the hotel, it already getting dark.  I picked up some water, beer, and “potato crackers” on the way.  The whole hotel was smoking-friendly, including the lobby, the restaurant, and the staircases.  I went up to my room to finish my cigar and relax a bit before taking a nap.

After my nap, I headed down for dinner, which would be my first Official meal in Nepal.  I lit up a Montecristo before heading down.  The menu looked good, and it was cheap.  I got chicken spring rolls for my appetizers, and it could have been a meal on its own.  My main course was “Nepali chicken set” along with a local whiskey.  I had finished my cigar by the time it came, and it was almost exactly the same that I would have expected to get in India.  I used my chopsticks for my first Official meal in Nepal, announcing to myself that I had now Officially visited 67 countries.  I didn’t count Qatar yet, but I will when I return at the end of the trip.

The meal was decent enough, and I headed up to my room afterwards.  With some difficulty, I rearranged the furniture and lighting to get a proper establishing shot for my entry.  I then sat down, lit up my 2010 Christmas Pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment