Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Borderlands: The Experience - Day 1 - Casas Grandes


10/29/16, “Casas Grandes”

Benito Juarez International Airport, Federal District, Mexico

Well, here I am, beginning my trip in the same spot where my past five trips to Mexico have come to a close.  In about 40 hours, I will be back in this very spot, writing another entry.  Two Days, two World Heritage Sites, one cultural and one natural.  That’s all this trip is.  It will be a complete blitz.  Today it is the cultural site, Casas Grandes, not far outside of Ciudad Juarez.  Roberto will be meeting me here soon, and then we will fly together from here to Juarez.  Tonight, we will overnight in Puerto Penasco, then, the natural site tomorrow: El Pinacate and Gran Desierto.  After we see that site, Roberto will drop me off at the airport in Hermosillo, and I will fly back this to the airport and then to Kennedy, getting back to work by 9 AM tomorrow morning.  As I said, a blitz.

While the trip itself is short, it will not be as jam-packed as some of our other adventures.  There will be no late nights or super early mornings or racing from place to place before things close.  Instead, since we are only visiting one site per day, it will be at a much more relaxed place.  Our quest towards “Mexico Complete” is drawing down, and the land next and last one will be our most epic yet.  I don’t have else much to report, and Roberto will be here soon, so I will just wrap up.

After I closed at Kennedy, I went back to the first corridor again to get my usual overpriced ice cream bar, along with another seltzer, from the usual Turkish place I go to at Terminal 1.  The boarding process was as dysfunctional as the rest of the departure, and the line moved more slowly and erratically than I can ever remember.  I fell asleep almost as soon as we took off, waking up as we made our descent.


I headed to border control, glad to be able to skip the line with my new enrollment into the Viajero Confiable program.  It took me a bit to find out where the machines were, but, once I did, it was a relatively painless process.  I continued to clear customs and then went to the same spot where Roberto and I had breakfast at this airport just eight weeks ago, though it feels like much longer.  I even sat at the same table, in the same seat.  I got their house breakfast, along with a fried egg, and some coffee.  It was a traditional Mexican breakfast, and it was quite good.  After breakfast, I went outside to my usual spot, where I lit up a Romeo y Julieta and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as Roberto will be here in a few minutes.


Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Mexico (Archaelogical Zone of Paquime)

Well, here we are, this is it.  It has been over 20 hours since I left my apartment, and we have at long last reached the first of our two destiantions.  This is the cultural one, an archaeological site that resembles so much the other similar sites I have visited in the Southwest, such as Mesa Verde, Chaco Culture, and Taos Pueblos.  I never fail to be amazed by these sites, the subtle and quaint beauty of the enchanting ruins.  Unfortunately, this is last such WHS I will visit, though I think I am missing a few similar National Park Sites in the Southwest, but those are for another time.  We are short on time, and I will reflect more properly on both the culture and nature of the Southwest (and the corresponding parts of Mexico) at the end of this trip, but I just wanted to fit in an entry here, so I will wrap it up as quicky as possible.

After I closed at Benito Juarez, I soon met Roberto, and we headed to our gate.  I picked up some more cigars at the newsstand and got a coffee, both of which were a process.  Before long, we were boarding the plane.  The seat next to me was empty, so Roberto was able to sit there, the first time we have ever flown together.  Trains and cars, yes, but never a plane.  I slept most of the flight to Ciudad Juarez (not to be confused with Benito Juarez).

When we approached our destination from overhead, it looked like there was not a single sign of civilization in sight, and the city of Juarez looked so out of place.  There was a secondary immigration control at the airport, and they gave me a hard time since my form was not stamped, due to having the Viajero Confiable program.  The airport more resembled the tiny airports I have visited in the Caribbean more than any I had seen in Mexico.  Getting the car from Hertz was another process.

We were on our way, but we were both hungry, so we stopped at an Oxxo for food and snacks.  I got a bacon-wrapped hot dog, nachos and cheese, and a seltzer, followed by a coffee.  Then it was back on the road, and I did what I do for the first long drive of every trip, put on “Red” and lit up a Davidoff Yamasa Toro.  The drive was boring and unadventurous.  I followed up the Davidoff with a Graycliff, while Roberto smoked a Gurkha, and we switched to Avril Lavigne’s “Let Go”.  Then we were at our destination.

The Plaque was right in the parking lot, so we took our picture there and looked around the museum.  We headed to the ruins, and I lit up a Canada Exclusivo Vega Robaina.  I had the inscription photo in hand, but I knew it would be no easy task to find the spot.  We wandered and wandered to no avail.  I tried going off the beaten path, but I had no luck.  I went back to find Roberto, and I then I saw it, off in the distance.

I used my spatial reasoning and determined that that had to be the right spot.  Roberto was walking right towards it, too.  I met him there and quickly confirmed it was the inscription spot.  We took our ceremonial pictures, and that was that.  I headed to a spot in the shade, in view of the inscription photo, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that we can head back to the museum and then get back on the road.  It will be a long drive to Puerto Penasco, and it is already late afternoon.  A very long drive.


Caborca, Sonora, Mexico


No, we didn’t make it to Puerto Penasco.  In the interest of avoiding an even later night, we called an audible.  Instead, we are staying at this lovely motel in Caborca.  I’m not being sarcastic.  This is actually a very nice hotel, and it is a shame we will be back on the road in just five hours.  Why did we call the audible?  Well, the long drive I promised turned out to be even longer than expected and much more brutal.  The biggest hurdle was these dirt road detours (due to construction on the main highway) that made the Dalton seem like an Interstate.  Add to that the plethora of trucks and buses we constantly found ourselves stuck behind, and it all made for very slow driving.

After I closed, we walked back to the museum, and I loaded up on the cheaply priced souvenirs.  From there, we headed back into town and stopped at a taco shop for lunch.  Tacos in Mexico are very different from tacos in America.  In Mexico, they give you a small tortilla (or two) laid flat with toppings, along with sauces on the side, much like a deconstructed thin-crust pizza.  I have never seen the hard shell U-shaped taco in Mexico.  I got a shrimp taco and a quesadilla, every bit as good as local Mexican food would be expected to taste.  In other words, to use my favorite phrase, quite good.

I lit up an Aroma de Cuba after lunch, and we were back on the road.  It was about 5 PM at this point.  I figured it would be a 9-hour drive to Puerto Penasco, including stops, and we would gain an hour since Sonora is an hour behind Chihuahua.  That meant, we’d get to our hotel in Puerto Penasco at 1 AM, and we could sleep until maybe 7 AM or a little later.  Roberto then informed me that Daylight Savings Time would be ending in Mexico tonight, so that meant we’d have another hour of sleep.  Well, we were wrong on all accounts.

The driving was much slower than anticipated, and Sonora does not change their clocks the same as the rest of Mexico does.  I took the wheel once we turned on to the main road to Sonora, and we were running out of daylight.  That’s when the fun began.  We encountered one of our many “detours”, which were carved-out dirt paths to work around the highway construction, very slow going.  We stopped to take some pictures of the desert at sunset, and I ditched my cigar at that point, switching to an Aging Room shortly thereafter.

We were now going through mountain passes, weaving in and out of trucks and buses.  It was not an easy drive.  If I had to do this solo, it would have been a contended for one of my five most difficult drives of all time.  I shudder to recall those disastrous nights in Yugoslavia three years ago.  Our plan was to get dinner in Agua Prieta, which is right by the border with Arizona, then continue straight to Puerto Penasco.


We gassed up in Agua Prieta, and there was a restaurant right there, but we weren’t hungry.  Besides, we just wanted to get on the road.  We got snacks and drinks at the Oxxo, along with each getting a small hot item, the price of everything shockingly cheap.  Roberto took the wheel, and I lit up an Oliva after I was done eating.  I passed out after my cigar.  When I woke up a few hours later, everything was wrong.  We had made far too little progress.  I looked at the maps and time, and I knew that going to Puerto Penasco was no longer advisable.

We called an audible.  I might have slept a little more, but not much.  In the end, we decided we would stop at Caborca, which was en route, so I lit up an Alec Bradley for the rest of the ride, which I’m still smoking now.  We could get there around 1 AM.  We’d have to be back on the road by 7 AM, though.  It meant Roberto could get his five hours of sleep, and I would get less, due to writing my entry, but I made up for it by sleeping in the car.  We called around and found a motel that could accommodate us and looked nice.

Soon enough, we arrived at this motel meant to look like a desert oasis, Hotel Posada del Desierto, which was much better than I expected.  We settled into our room, and then I came out to the pool, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep.  We are in the desert now, and tomorrow we will visit the protected area of the desert that has been inscribed as a WHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment