Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

For Gene - Day 0 - We the Living





“For Gene”

3/10/17, “We the Living”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

When I began my last trip I dedicated the Day 0 entry to Gene, but this trip in its entirety is dedicated to him.  I am travelling to California for his memorial service, and it is only fitting.  The first time that I went to Los Angeles in recent memory was also the first time that I met Gene in recent memory, as we never connected during my trips to San Diego for Comic Con.  However, we made up for it over the three times we have dined and conversed together over the past five years.  It was a friendship built through lengthy and protracted email debates and cemented in those visits.  I have written in great depth elsewhere about Gene, and I do not wish to be repetitive, but Gene’s memory is worth honoring in as many ways as possible.

He was one of the last of his kind, representing one of the few people who had personally interacted with Ayn Rand herself.  Through him, I am only one degree of separation from Ayn Rand.  However, when the great schism occurred between Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden, Gene, along with my father, was one of the only people who sought the truth and stood by his principles, instead of blindly siding with the woman many considered a goddess.  It was a small group, and, six weeks ago, it got a little smaller.

Few now remain that remember those times, and it is for we the living to honor their memories and the philosophy of that time.  It is for we the living to remember the stories as we preserve the knowledge we have learned and the values we hold.  Gene was unique in many ways and a many of the highest intelligence and even higher character.  His memory never faded, and he recounted to me the details of the 1960s, as if they had occurred yesterday.

When he told Ayn Rand that Nathaniel Branden had saved his life and that he could not abandon Branden, she told him that he must follow his conscience.  This was a man that had conversations with Ayn Rand beyond a question at a lecture or a cocktail party.  He was a patient of Nathanial Branden.  These stories he has related to me, and my father has related others.  I remember them all.  We the living can preserve the memories of those who are no longer with us, of Ayn Rand, of Nathaniel Branden, and of Gene.  When I eulogize him tomorrow, it will be with a speech that I have written from the heart, dedicated to a man who made the world a better place over his 90 years.  And, if this Travelogue is ever published, the first words after the table of contents will be, “For Gene”.

Okay, so I do need to briefly describe what has occurred hitherto on Day 0.  It was snowing when I woke up, which affected my morning.  I had some leftover popcorn from last night’s movie (Kong: Skull Island, which was amazing), and I brought that to the office, taking a taxi, but I had eaten too much at the movie last night, and my appetite had not yet returned.  I had about 20% of the bucket, but I had no appetite beyond that.

I did not eat lunch, and I worked through the day, getting done what I needed to do before I left.  I took a taxi to the airport, and there was no line at security, which went quickly with my TSA PreCheck.  I then went get some dinner.  The only sit-down restaurant I could find was Palm Too, and my appetite had returned.  I ordered a burger with all the fixings and fries, along with a club soda.  The food took forever to come, and my appetite grew.  The burger was delicious, but it wasn’t enough, so I got a piece of chocolate cake for dessert, not realizing how big it was.  That filled me up.  I then headed to the gate, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are about to start boarding.


Del Mar, California


I suppose it could be said that my fondness for Gene is very similar to what Luke Skywalker felt for Ben Kenobi.  To Luke, Ben was a legend, an old friend of his father’s from their glory days, the last representatives he knew of a hallowed philosophy.  Luke only met Ben briefly, but their short time together made losing him all the more potent for Luke, as the guidance he had received from Ben would stay with him for the rest of his life.  Those sentences work equally well for me and Gene as they do for Luke and Ben.

The last thing we discussed was whether absolute truths exist, and we concluded that they do, but we allowed that absolute moral values do not exist.  Any fan of Star Wars will be familiar with Ben’s words, “What I told you was true, from a certain point of view.”  The dictum that, “You must do what you feel is right, of course,” sounds just as appropriate in Gene’s voice as Ben’s.  If this Travelogue gets properly published, I will have Gene to thank.  It was his guidance and inspiration that would make this a possibility.  That is what Gene meant to me, the same as Ben meant to Luke.

Now, here I am at the hotel where Gene and I shared our last meal together, and it feels like I am in a place of a bygone era, and I can feel the community values here that Gene held so dear, that he so valiantly fought to preserve.  As I have mentioned elsewhere, we often debated that point, about community values.  His belief that communities should be able to set their own values and collect a tax to make those values a reality was at odds with my strong libertarianism, but we both agreed that the federal government should take no part in community decisions, such as education.  Those debates were never contentious, and I understand the soundness of his arguments, even if I rejected the premise.  I will write more about Del Mar tomorrow, but I will now just briefly record the journey that brought me here from Kennedy.

After I closed at the airport, we soon boarded, and as I handed the agent my boarding pass, I learned, much to my delight, that I had been upgraded to first class.  I instantly regretted appending that huge piece of cake to my burger, as I knew that we would be served dinner in first class.  The bourbon and club soda was free flowing all flight, and I finished my chapter of “Lord of the Rings” as we made our ascent.  I continued to read during dinner, which was bread and butter, pasta, and ice cream, followed by coffee.

After my chapter, I continued a discussion with my friend from earlier.  The discussion was about how many weeks Walt Disney had a film in the top five at the box office last year.  It was certainly most weeks, but we did not know just how many.  We also wanted to know how unique of a feat that was.  He thought it was 41, and I said that I didn’t think that was a unique accomplishment.  I reckoned that the years Titanic and ET came out, their studios easily matched that feat.  Since ET had spent 27 weeks in the top five, we looked at the numbers of that year, 1982, to see how many weeks Universal had a film in the top five.  I said 45, he said 50.  Either way, that destroyed the 41 weeks that he claimed Disney had last year.  His 41 number seemed too high, so I did my own count and got 35.

That was when we discovered that we were using a variety of different methods in our calculations.  He was looking at weekly numbers, while I looked at weekend numbers.  He was looking at the movies that each studio distributed, while I was looking week by week.  He was counting up from 0 from zero, while I was subtracting from 52.  We reconciled our data and realized that 37 was the right count.  The biggest error he made was that he double counted some weeks where Disney had two films in the top five, while I made an assumption that once a movie fell out of the top five, it would never return to the top five.  I also miscounted since 2016 had 53 weekends, not 52 weekends.

We spent almost two hours on this topic.  We then started to question if 37 weekends was an impressive feat at all, and we learned it was not.  Universal’s 46 weekends in 1982 beat it, and Universal had 39 weekends in 2015.  We noted that Universal, Warner Brothers, and Walt Disney all had a realistic chance to beat 37 this year.  I surmised that the 1980s was the richest time, as it was when summer blockbusters started to become a thing, but it wasn’t yet at the point where a dozen blockbusters came out every summer.  I suggested a protocol for us to determine how many weekends each major studio had for each year in 1980.  We had already spent hours on this haphazardly guessing on our phones, and my protocol would give us definitive answers for the whole decade in about an hour.  That would have to wait, however.

When we landed, I was the first one off the plane, which I always like, and I headed to take the rental car shuttle.  After a bit of a delay, I was in my convertible, which is my standard mode of transportation in California, as the cheap rental car prices here make it priced the same as a sedan anywhere else, and the year-round sunny weather makes it an enjoyable ride.  I was soon at the hotel, and I recognized fondly all the sites from when I drove here with Gene.  They were happy memories, and it will make me happy to eulogize him tomorrow.  I checked in and settled in to my small but well-appointed hotel room.  I then lit up a Cohiba and went outside, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment