Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Philly 2017 - Day 2 - Famous, Historic Philadelphia

3/19/17, “Famous, Historic Philadelphia”

Aboard Northeast Regional 140, En route PHL-NYP


There are really only four cities in the country where I can spend the day doing what I did today, all four cities, in fact, are served by this train.  Those cities are Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington.  My grandfather had related that he probably would not be available before I left for my train this afternoon and asked if I would be okay on my own for the day.  I assured him that I would have no trouble entertaining myself here in one of my favorite cities in the world.

Philadelphia has 67 National Historic Landmarks.  Until I have taken a ceremonial picture with my cigar and water bottle in front of each and every one of those 67 famous and historic sites, there would never be a question of me being able to entertain myself in this city.  I inched closer today by knocking off 16 NHLs, taking the exact same picture 16 times.  I was in my element, and I was thrilled to spend the day doing that.

Okay, so how did it all go down?  After I closed last night, I went back to the hotel and published my entry.  I then started mapping out my day.  I highlighted, I think, 18 sites.  Some of them didn’t even have entries saved on Google Maps, so I had to create the entries myself.  To my shock, they were approved almost instantaneously.  I also had my carrot cake that I had gotten to take home from the restaurant and made a cup of coffee in the room.  There was only one problem, though.  They didn’t give me utensils, so I had to improvise.  I looked around the room for a tool to use to eat the cake.  I found something that would work.  The plastic lid for the coffee cup.  It worked perfectly.  The cake was delicious, and I went to bed after I had finished making my map for today.

I woke up close to 10 AM, and I figured that I would have until around 2 PM to do my sightseeing.  I went down to breakfast, but I didn’t have much of an appetite.  The buffet was a letdown, to boot.  They had some cooked-to-order dishes, which were the same price as the buffet.  I knew there was zero chance I would want a second plate from the buffet, so I opted for the freshly cooked meal, getting bacon, eggs, hashed browns, and toast, along with coffee.

I then packed and got ready for the day.  I just had my one bag, so I could sling that over my shoulder as I walked around the city.  I headed out, lit up a Caoba, and walked to my first site.  Okay, I could make this a five paragraph summary, or a two sentence summary.  Again, I will only highlight the more interesting sites.  I first went to Christ Church, the first Episcopal Church in the Country, then Elfreth’s Alley, the oldest residential street in the country.

A lot of the places I saw today were “the oldest X in the country.”  Next it was the First Bank of the United States, then the Merchant’s Exchange Building, followed by Carpenters’ Hall, where the First Continental Congress was held, and I got a replica there to add to my collection.  Then the Second Bank of the United States, followed by the American Philosophical Society Hall.

Then it was time for a new cigar, so I lit up a Montecristo Open Eagle and took a ceremonial picture at Independence Hall, which, though a WHS, is not an NHL.  After that, my quest was back on.  Next came the Philadelphia Contributionship, founded by Benjamin Franklin, the oldest property insurance company in the country.  After that it was the Hill-Keith-Physick House, followed by New Market, then St. Paul’s Church, and then the Mother Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church.

Next came the site that I found most exciting to visit, the Thomas Sully Residence.  Thomas Sully was a famed portrait artist, who painted, among other things, the portrait of Andrew Jackson that is found on the banknotes, so I took a banknote out of my pocket for a picture at the residence.  At his point, my cigar was almost done, and the time was coming.  I wanted to be on a 2:18 PM train, which meant I would need to stop my sightseeing at 1:30 PM to get a taxi.  I had been to 13 sites so far, and I wanted to get 16 for my collage to make it 4x4.  It would be tight.

Next came the Pennsylvania Hospital, followed by the J. Peter Lesley house.  It was now 1:28 PM, and my cigar was down to the nub.  It was a 6-minute walk to the next site.  If my cigar did not last, I would be forced to abort the mission, as I did not have time to light up another cigar.   I made it and took my last ceremonial picture outside the Frances Ellen Watkins Harper House.

That was it.  I had visited 16 sites, and I would have a great collage to show for the day.  One problem.  It was now 1:35 PM, and I was deep in a residential neighborhood.  No taxis.  I had to walk to Broad Street to get a taxi.  It was 1:45 PM at that point, and my reader will note that I spent the entirety of the two-and-a-half hours since I left my hotel on my feet, most of it walking.  I got the taxi and posted my collage.

I was at 30th Street Station by 2 PM, and I got my ticket for the 2:18 PM.  I even had time for lunch.  I picked up a grilled cheese sandwich to eat on the train.  Their specialty was actually the exact same sandwich I usually order at the deli by my office, so I took that as a good sign.  The timing worked out perfectly, and we were boarding as soon as I got to the track.  I was able to secure a two-seater to myself, and, once we were en route, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this brief trip.  Next stop: North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment