Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

For Gene - Day 2 - Memories

3/12/17, “Memories”

Los Angeles International Airport, California (LAX)


It’s funny how memories work.  We rarely remember past events in complete detail or minute-by-minute.  Instead, we remember scenes and images.  The things that we do remember instead play on loop in our mind’s eye when we remember them, rather than than playing continuously forward.  Nor can we recall memories at will.  Instead, they are triggered by various factors, and it is always interesting what (or where) triggers our memories, just as it interesting the small things that we remember and the big things that we forget.

That was at play at dinner last night, as we recalled events from our distant pasts and couldn’t always remember the year (or, in the case of my companions, the decade) they occurred, but each memory we recalled had at least one scene that was in great detail.  Various memories have been coming back to me all weekend, both of the times I met Gene and of other trips to San Diego.  Sitting at the exact same table this morning where we shared our last meal brought back memories, as did going to the San Diego Zoo.  That was what was at play today.

After I closed last night, I published and almost fell asleep in the process of publishing.  I woke up all confused as to what it was, both due to the time zone difference and DST beginning.  It was getting on 11 AM PDT by the time I got to breakfast, but I had nothing planned for the day, other than the zoo, and I wanted to tarry at the hotel as much as possible.  I was able to arrange for a noon check-out, which would allow me to have time to eat and get ready before heading to the smoking area, where I could kill as much time as I wanted.

I had a simple breakfast of a bagel with cream cheese, steak, eggs, and fried potatoes, along with coffee, much the same as Gene ate during our last meal, and sitting in the same seat he did that day.  Did I know that that would be the last time that I saw him?  No, but I expected it would be the case, and I had mentally prepared for that eventuality, enjoying every minute we had together that day.

After breakfast, I headed back to my room, got packed and ready, and changed into my suit.  I then headed to the smoking area, lit up an Ardor, and worked on some stuff.  After the pipe, I lit up a Graycliff and finished up what I was doing before retrieving my car and driving to the zoo.  The drive would be short, and I wondered if my cigar would be done before I arrived, but I took some wrong turns and wound up at the parking lot just as I finished my cigar.

The zoo was packed, as I expected it to be on a Sunday afternoon in March.  I was shocked and almost outraged how expensive the admission was, but this was the best zoo in the country.  I was hungry, so I went immediately to the first food place I saw, my sticker shock continuing when I saw the prices they were charging for food.  I ordered lightly, just a hot dog with a variety of toppings, which came with chips, and a soda, forgoing the pizza I might have also gotten if the prices were more reasonable.  Okay, so this could be a two-sentence recounting or a two-paragraph recounting.  Let’s see how it pans out.  I looked at the map and planned the two hours I had available.

My priority was seeing the primates, since those were a specialty here, and, if I had time, I would see the big cats.  First I saw an orangutan (“King Louie!”), followed by a gorilla, which was met with shouts of “Harambe” from everyone there of my age range.  No, I will not explain that reference.  Next, I found the bonobo chimps, and I remembered seeing them when I was here five (or maybe seven) years ago during Comic Con.  I also remembered the quests that my mother and I embarked on along the eastern seaboard in pursuit of chimps over a decade ago.  Those were all good memories.  I lit up an Oliva, not expecting to be able to smoke the cigar for more than about ten minutes before someone made me put it out, and took a ceremonial picture with the chimps.  Then it was the tiger, and I failed in finding the python.  Anyone who has seen “Jungle Book” will know what I was doing.  I wanted to see the elephants next, and I saw many other animals along the way, which I will not recount.  I found the elephants, and that was the end of my “Jungle Book” mission.  I saw some lions next, and, after I took my ceremonial pictures with the lions, my cigar was almost done.

I prepared to take my final puffs, and only then, after I had smoked the whole cigar, did a zoo employee angrily tell me that smoking was prohibited.  I made a big gesture of ditching the cigar, which I was about to do anyway, and continued on.  I got some chicken fingers at the next place, which were, surprisingly, very cheaply priced if you got them on their own.  I then headed out to the exit, stopping to see the giraffes on the way out.  I got my souvenir (a keychain) and went to my car.  I lit up an LFD and was on the road.  It was 5:45 PM, and without traffic, I would have been at LAX at 7:30 PM.  Google Maps was saying it would be closer to 8 PM.  Either way, I was fine, as my flight was at 10:40 PM.

I soon saw the sign for I-5 and Los Angeles.  It would be a straight shot.  Well, I hit traffic.  A lot of traffic.  After the LFD, I lit up a Nub, and it was after 9 PM by the time I returned my car to Hertz, after 9:30 PM by the time I got to the terminal.  I was getting a strong sense of deja vu.  There was a long line to check in bags (I had none) and at security (I had TSA PreCheck).  I was at my gate around 9:45 PM, which gave me plenty of time to get some food.

I found a place that had Asian fusion burgers, and I ordered one.  It was quite good.  I then went to my gate, only to learn that our flight was delayed due to issues with the previous flight leaving the gate.  Oh, the irony.  Well, that meant I had time for my entry.  I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  It will be interesting to see what memories from this trip remain, just as it was interesting to recall the memories I did during the trip.  Next stop: Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment