Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, March 24, 2017

North Carolina - Day 0 - A Long-Expected Journey



“North Carolina”


3/24/17, “A Long-Expected Journey”
LaGuardia Airport, New York (LGA)

For four Marches now, I have been saying that I would go to North Carolina.  Originally, the plan was to drive down Friday night, arriving Saturday morning, and drive back up Sunday night, arriving back in NYC Monday morning.  Obviously, I couldn’t do that drive solo, and I had tentative commitments from various traveling companions, but they all fell through.  Instead, I wound up going to the Redwoods WHS, the Lake Placid Winter Stadiums, and Iqaluit in 2014, Central Mexico and Poverty Point WHS in 2015, and South Carolina in 2016.  Now, we have arrived at the last March weekend before I turn 30, and I can put this off no longer.  I will be going alone and by airplane, the purpose of the trip is twofold: Wright Brothers NMem and getting a missing WHS stamp at Great Smoky Mountains NP.  Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and some other NPS provide an added draw, as does the State Capitol in Raleigh, where the infamous HB2 was passed.

When I first started considering this trip, an added draw was NCAA March Madness events that rotated around the state every year.  Well, HB2 put paid to that, when the NCAA, in its infinite wisdom, decided to withdraw all March Madness events from the Great State of North Carolina for deigning to pass a law that mandated that people must perform certain biological functions in public bathrooms segregated by biological sex, rather than “gender identity,” a term which has no technical definition.  If I am allowed a brief political discourse here, it is stupid shit like this that cost Democrats the election.  Who cares who uses which bathroom?  You are there to perform a biological function, not start a political war.  This liberal insistence that, if you do not see the world exactly the way they do, you are evil is what drove me away from the Democratic Party, a party whose basic beliefs, I mostly support on a moral level.  I just don’t like those beliefs forced on me, either by guilt-tripping or the coercive force of government.

Okay, back my regularly scheduled Travelogue.  Are my readers tired yet of my standard Night -1 description?  Reader, I’m sure you could write it yourself.  The only thing you need to know is which movie I saw.  It was Power Rangers, and it was good, brought back lots of fun memories.  I then packed and woke up and get ready and headed to the office, like usual.  For lunch, I got my usual pre-departure lunch at Hop Won, followed by my usual pre-departure Cohiba, smoked in the loading dock in shelter from the elements.  I had a productive day at the office.  Reader, you could have written this whole paragraph, right?

Now, here’s where it gets interesting.  My flight was at 8:30 PM from LGA, which meant that I could work until 6 PM and take a taxi and be at the airport in good time.  At 5 PM, one of my coworkers was leaving, and he asked what was bringing me to North Carolina.  I told him just some National Park Sites.  I thought about all the stamped brochures I would get.  Something was nagging at me.  What was I forgetting?  Then, it hit me.  I had forgotten the most important thing to pack, one of the two reasons I was taking this trip.  I had forgotten my WHS folder.

Without it, the trip was almost pointless.  I needed that stamp I had forgotten.  The first time, I completely forget the folder.  I bought a new passport at the site, and I transferred the page to the old passport, but the other documents were unstamped.  When I returned five years ago, I forgot that missing passport page, and I also forgot to get one of other documents stamped.  That was the only reason I am returning the site, to get that last document stamped.  If I forgot the folder, it would have been only too ironic.  I quickly finished up at work and biked home to retrieve the folder, which meant I had pointlessly brought my bags to work with me today.  I got home, retrieved my folder (and night mask and sunglasses for good measure), and took a taxi to the airport.

There was some traffic, but I was there around 6:30 PM.  Plenty of time.  There would be no meal due on board, due to the short length of the flight, so I went to the burger place that I like to get dinner.  It is high-quality food, but the order process is very dumb.  You place your order at a kiosk, but you can’t pay there.  Instead, you have to wait on another line, which is in the direction of the gates, to pay, so I wind up having to redouble my steps when I go back to pick up my food and bring it to my gate.  I ordered a mushroom and onion burger with fries and a red velvet shake.  The mushrooms and onions were cold, which was annoying, since it made the sandwich cold overall.  I was starving.  Otherwise, I would have returned it and made a stink.

Once I scarfed down the burger, it was too late to do anything.  The milkshake was the best part.  After I finished my dinner, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we will be boarding soon.  Oh, and to add to the adventures of the day, as I was writing this entry, I was looking through my computer bag and noticed that my laptop wasn’t there.  I had a mini panic attack, until I realized it was on top of my lap.


Raleigh, North Carolina


This all feels very familiar.  It harkens back to my trip a year ago this weekend, a very similar trip to South Carolina.  I will not continue my discourse from last year on the South being populated by the descendants of slaves and slaveholders.  North Carolina is no different, but it has larger and more liberal population centers, and the prestigious colleges in this state are in no small part responsible for it being less reliable conservative than its neighbor to the south.  Since that entry a year ago, Trump won the election, and Governor McRory lost his bid for reelection, due to HB2.

I am sitting in front of North Carolina State Capitol, right in front of statue of the three “Presidents North Carolina gave to the Nation”.  Unless I am forgetting my history, all three of these Presidents hailed from Tennessee, but the “alternative facts” inscribed on the base of this podium speaks volumes of the state I am currently visiting.  According to the statue, Andrew Jackson “revitalized American democracy,” James Knox Polk “enlarged our national boundaries,” and Andrew Johnson “defended the constitution.”  Need I remind my readers about, respectively, the Trail of Tears, the Mexican-American War, and Reconstruction?  These are not three presidents of whom to be particularly proud.

Anyway, the two hours from the time I landed at RDU to the time I lit up my cigar and walked to the Capitol was hellish.  After I closed at LGA, we soon boarded, and I think we spent exactly an hour in the hour.  I was only able to finish my chapter of Lord of the Rings and not even start another chapter.  I had a bourbon, club soda, and some assorted snacks en route.  When we landed, I was the first one off the plane, my favorite part about sitting in seat 1A.

That’s when the hell began.  It was a long walk to the ground transportation area, and then I had to wait for the shuttle bus to take me to Hertz.  When I got there, I had to wait on line, since my Gold Club membership wasn’t properly linking.  Then there was confusion about which car I was supposed to take.  Eventually, I figured it out.  After that, more confusion in how to exit the parking lot.  More confusion about how to get on the highway.  Then, oddly, there was bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Soon enough, though, I found myself at the hotel.  It was what I would call a “college party” scene, very similar to what I saw a year ago at the hotel in Charleston and two years ago at the hotel in Jackson.  There is a theme here, reader.  I settled into my room and did something I almost never do: unpacked.  Since I would be staying at this hotel for three nights and had my clothes in a shopping bag, rather than a suitcase, I figured I would utilize the drawers.

I changed into some more casual clothes and then went down to park my car and head out.  I got a cup of coffee, which was lukewarm.  The receptionist said he would make a fresh pot.  In the meantime, I parked the car, which was a hassle, even though the garage was across the street.  I saw some police activity in the garage, probably related to some drunken kids about to get in their car.  The police probably were lying in wait for such eventualities.  I had to go to the third level, and it was quite a walk back to the hotel, but then everything was good again.  The coffee was soon ready, and I poured myself a cup.  I walked outside and lit up a Saisson by Oliva cigar and walked to the State Capitol, where I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and walk back to the hotel and get to sleep.  Tomorrow will be an early and long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment