Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, June 12, 2017

A Trip of Ice and Fire - Day 3 - From Fire to Ice

6/12/17, “From Fire to Ice”

Reykjavik Domestic Airport, Iceland (RKV)

The time has come to leave the island of fire and fly to the island of ice.  I will not miss Iceland, for one simple reason.  I know that Greenland will be far more wondrous than Iceland is.  The island of ice holds far more sway for me than the island of fire does.  What could be so alluring about a giant island of ice?  Everything.  Surely Iceland has more sway with its volcanoes and its history and its culture, yes?  No.  Are not the icefjords and glaciers every bit as beautiful as the volcanoes?  Does Greenland not also have its own history and culture?  In fact, it has a mix of Norse and Inuit culture, as opposed to here, which is solely Norse.

Iceland is The North, to be sure, but Greenland is as far north as North gets, and I will only be visiting the southern half of the island.  The northern half is too cold to be inhabited.  It’s just a giant national park in the north.  Iceland is a beautiful place, though, and the Norse culture is alive and well.  They eat much the same food they have been eating for hundreds of years and drink much the same beer, and when I say much, I mean much.

Reykjavik is not a city that does not know how to have a good time.  That much is clear, to be sure.  The island is small, but it has much to offer.  Thingvellir is a thing of beauty, the world’s oldest parliament, and it remained active for close to a millennium, until the Althing was moved to Reykjavik.

When I land in Nuuk, my first stop after checking in to my hotel will be Greenland’s legislative assembly, known as the Landsting.  I was glad to have seen Surtsey, but I will be gladder still to see the Ilulissat Icejfords.  This island of fire lives true to the name I have assigned it, though, and you can see volcanoes in almost every directions you look, the smell of brimstone prevalent.  Greenland will have a different look and smell, and I look forward to discovering it.

After I closed last night, I headed back to my hotel, stopping in the park by the Althing to try and publish my entry as I lit up a La Perla.  I couldn’t get a good connection, so I moved closer to the hotel and was successfully able to publish there.  I then went upstairs to finish my cigar and post my photos before falling asleep.  I was only able to manage 3 REM cycles, but I woke up shortly before my alarm and went back to sleep.  That was a mistake.  Not only did it cost me 15 minutes, I was more tired when I did wake up.  It didn’t matter in the end, as I drastically overestimated how early I would need to get to the airport.

I headed to the hotel next door for breakfast, which was billed as this epic feast.  It was no different than what my hotel offered, so I went back to my hotel.  I got a different assortment of breads, dairy, and protein this morning, followed by skyr and a hot food plate, paired with coffee, of course, and followed by a little bit of dessert.  I ate way too much.  After breakfast, I got ready and finished packing.  I then headed to the airport, which was a five-minute drive from my hotel, or it would have been I hadn’t misunderstood a road sign.

I returned the car, to the wrong spot apparently.  There was an office a quarter-mile from the terminal, but it turned out that I could actually drop it right at the terminal.  I didn’t want to reload my luggage in the truck, so I just walked it.  It was around 9:20 AM when I got to the terminal.  My flight was at 11:15 AM, and people were still checking in for the 9:55 AM flight.  As I said, I drastically overestimated how early I needed to be.  I then went outside and found a spot to sit down, where I lit up an Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can check-in.


Nuuk, Greenland, Kingdom of Denmark

“And this is just the capital.”  Why did I saw those words as I was walking around Nuuk this afternoon?  It was three hours after we landed in Greenland, and I was already absolutely convinced of the veracity of my prediction that I would not hesitate to declare Greenland the most beautiful place I have ever visited.  I made that claim based on just walking around Nuuk for a few hours, and this is just the capital.

Tomorrow I will visit the Kujataa farming landscape in Qassiarsuk, which is the site I am most looking forward to seeing, and then on to the icefjords in Ilulissat.  Nuuk was the least of the three attractions in Greenland.  It is just the capital, but it is so much more.  This establishing shot, taken out the window of my hotel’s smoking area, fails to do it justice, but just look it at.  See that snow-covered mountain in the background and the solid-colored simple houses?  Now, imagine a panoramic landscape filled with that.  Well, you won’t have to imagine, as I will have such pictures to share in this entry.

If Nuuk alone is enough for me to declare that Greenland is the most beautiful place in the world, I cannot imagined how wowed I will be by Qassiarsuk and Ilulissat.  This is just the capital, but it puts its overlords in Copenhagen to shame.  It puts even Stockholm to shame.  Not even Yellowknife can hold a candle to Nuuk.  This embodies everything I love about The North.

It has the architecture I so love from Atlantic Canada and Scandinavia.  It has the landscapes I so love from Alaska and the PNW.  It has the rugged feel I so love from the Canadian Arctic.  It has all of that combined, and it does it better than any of them do.  And this is just the capital.  It is just a city with the population the same as my hometown, but it is busy and bustling, and beautiful.  30% of Greenland’s population lives in this capital.  It is small town in a small country, but it is a beautiful town in an even more beautiful country.

After I closed at RKV, I checked in and headed to the boarding area.  I was having connectivity issues, which was annoying, but I was also on the verge of passing out.  We boarded the small plane that would take us three hours almost due east to Nuuk, and I fell asleep midflight.  I woke up to an announcement that I didn’t understand.  I looked out the window and saw nothing but white.  Was this a thick cloud cover?

No, it was snow and ice as far as the eye could see.  As we got closer to Nuuk, it was water and rock paired with the snow and ice.  This was The North.  This was what I came for.  I had seen pictures of Nuuk, but that could not prepare me for seeing it in person.  This was unreal.  Surely I was dreaming.  After all these years, I was finally here.

Four years ago, just after I had started to fall in love with The North, my family went to see “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty,” and the eponymous character had to go to Greenland.  When he mentioned it, I absentmindedly said to my father sitting next to me, “Nuuk,” naming the capital.  When they said it on-screen, my father was shocked.  “How could you possibly have known that?” he asked, or some variation.  I knew it, because I knew that one day I would go.  I knew it because when I went to Denmark and said, “Mainland Denmark Complete,” it was a promise to come to Greenland.  I knew it, because the trip had already been planned, four years in advance.  I was finally here.

I took a taxi to my hotel (Hotel Hans Egede), messing with some settings on my phone, and I chastised myself, “You’re finally in Greenland, and you’re more interested in random settings on your phone than looking at the car window?”  Henceforth, my phone was only used to take pictures.  This was it.  It was everything I had imagined and more.  I got to my hotel, and I saw that the hotel had a smoking room, indoors and in view of the mountains.  Perfect.

I went to my room, and I had a great view of downtown.  I was starting to get hungry, but I wanted to figure out where parliament was first.  That information, other than an address, seemed not to be available.  There was an article from 2014 that a new building was being constructed under protest, but there was no indication if that happened or it was completed.  The address when entered in Google pointed to a bank building.  I figured I would have to ask someone.  It’s a small town, it shouldn’t be too hard to find.  Souvenirs, though, promised to be harder to find.

I went downstairs to get lunch at the restaurant.  They had a sampler platter, which consisted of smoked muskox, smoked reindeer, smoked scallops, prawn cocktail, fish salad, and a fish cake.  They were all local specialties, so it would serve well for my first Official meal in Greenland.  The service was slow, and I was getting hungrier and more annoyed the longer I waited, but I had beer (local) and Wi-Fi to keep me busy.  Soon enough the food came.  The muskox tasted like jerky, and I hated it.  The smoked reindeer and fish salad were excellent.  I couldn’t stand the smoked scallops, but the fish cake was quite good.  The prawns were fine but too much work for too little reward.

After I was done, almost half of the food uneaten, I asked the waitress if she knew where parliament was.  She asked someone else and then pointed to a large and tall modern building just up the road from where Google Maps had directed me.  That must have been the fancy, new building.  I was actually impressed they had managed to build it so quickly.  After lunch, I headed downstairs and lit up a Partagas for my walk to Parliament, which took about five minutes.  Printed on the front of the building was “GOVERNMENT OF GREENLAND”.  Okay, then.

I left my barely-smoked cigar outside and went in.  I asked if this was the parliament building, and the guard told me I had to go across the street to the older building, saying that they were both the parliament buildings.  I had also asked if they offered tours, but the reception was in the other building.  I retrieved my cigar and walked across the street.  There were actually two connected buildings.  One building had the reception entrance, the other building said on front if it, “INATSISARTUT,” which I knew to be the local name for parliament, the Danish name being Landsting.

I went inside with my cigar, thinking it was out.  The tell-tale smell of a smoldering cigar proved me wrong, but I think the smell bothered me more than anyone else.  Tours were offered Monday through Friday at 1 PM.  They could not accommodate, even though they did try very hard to do so.  That was fine.  I just wanted to go back outside to take my ceremonial picture, but they tried so hard to be helpful that it must have been at least fifteen minutes before they told me that they couldn’t do anything for, nor did they know where to find souvenirs. 

I circled around the building trying to find the ideal spot for the ceremonial picture, which was made even more difficult by the fact that I wasn’t quite sure exactly which building was the parliament building.  I got a good picture, and that was when I said my famous line, “And this is just the capital.”  It was then that I was fully convinced that Greenland was the most beautiful place I had ever visited.

I turned around to see a tourist information building, which doubled as a shop.  They had pins, but not flag pins.  I asked about flag pins, and he said they were sold out, but he knew where I could find them.  I went where he told me, and, as soon as I opened the door, I was staring straight smack at the flag pins.  I also got some other souvenirs.  When I checked out, I noticed that my debit card was cracked, and the chip itself was perilously close to being cracked.  I had already withdrawn a bunch of Kroner, but I needed to make another withdrawal to feel comfortable with my cash reserves in case the card did break.  I think my reader sees where I am going with this.  Remember that bank building that I mentioned that Google Maps said was the parliament building?  Okay, more on that later.

I retrieved my Partagas and walked to a nearby scenic overlook, where I an elderly Inuit woman was sitting on the bench.  After I took some pictures, she called me over.  She asked for a puff of my cigar.  Not happening.  I did, however, offer her one of my other cigars, a CLE Pieto, which she gladly accepted, though I should have given her the other cigar I had, since that was the one I really wanted to smoke next.  She didn’t speak English, and I didn’t speak Kalaallisut, so we were only able to exchange names.  It seems neither of us understood each other’s names, unless her name actually was Rebecca (or Vibecke, maybe).  She clearly had never heard the name Steven before. 

I headed back towards my hotel, and I thought to myself again how beautiful this was, “The mountains are to one side of me, the water to the other side, and on the other side are more mountains.”  I found an open field with a great view of the mountains and the houses, basically an amplified view of establishing shot that opened this entry, ditched my cigar, went up to my hotel, resituated myself, dropped off my souvenirs, and grabbed my other CLE Pieto.

I needed coffee badly, so I got it at the grocery store as I searched for more souvenirs.  Along the way, I stopped at a fish market of some type, and they had a gamey red meat next to a white meat with a black skin.  It was whale meat, both of them were.  I could not find any more souvenirs, so I headed to the bank building, which was now closed.  The only other working ATM around seemed to be the one in the grocery store, where I made the withdrawal earlier, and I feared a fraud alert if I used the same ATM twice in one day for a large withdrawal.

I walked back to the bench from earlier as I smoked my Pieto, and I just sat down on the bench enjoying the view.  I almost never do that.  Phone in my pocket, no writing, no walking, just enjoying the view, for at least five minutes.  It was a wonderful view.

I then walked up the hill to the statue of Hans Egede, which afforded an even better view.  I stayed there for some time before heading down the hill.  I slipped and twisted my ankle.  “It’s all part of the adventure,” I told myself.  Fortunately I quickly recovered.  I was soon back at my hotel, and I was going to catch a REM cycle, but I was stirred by a text as I was about to fall asleep, and that turned into a conversation.  Once the conversation died down, I headed to the smoking area and asked if I could bring a chair, since they had none.  They said I could.  Perfect.  I brought the chair there, where I sat down, lit up a Jaime Garcia, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can finish my cigar and get dinner.



I don’t have much new to report.  I am back in the same spot I was when I wrote the above entry, and the view has not changed much, other than that the sun is a little lower in the sky and is casting a longer shadow.  I am well-fed, and I am ready to pass out, which I would like to do as soon as I am finished with this pipe, but I need to allow my dinner to digest before lying down.  The trip was designed the way it was designed for various reasons, and I will have some more time in Nuuk later in the week, but, while I will be glad to get to Qassiarsuk, it feels rather abrupt to only be spending less than a full day in Nuuk before flying on to my next destination, though it is much more time than I had in Whitehorse or Copenhagen.

When I next write, it will be from Qassiarsuk, and that is sure to be the biggest highlight of the trip, even though it is not yet a WHS and very well may not wind up getting inscribed this summer.  It will be beautiful nonetheless.  Then, I will continue on to Ilulissat, where I will be able to say, “Greenland Complete,” before beginning The Return Journey.

After I closed, I headed up to the steakhouse for dinner.  They had two arctic specialties, muskox and reindeer.  I figured that muskox seemed the more interesting choice.  The way it worked was, they give you a menu card, and you fill out the card with the number of the dish you want.  I filled out the card, opting for it rare with parsley butter on top and fries on the side.  That part wasn’t exactly Greenlandic, but the muskox certainly was.

Before long, they brought me a sizzling platter.  I took a few bites, and something seemed off.  It tasted too chewy.  No, this wasn’t a steak, unless it was very poorly frozen.  I called over the waitress, and she said it was the chopped muskox.  I told her that I had wanted the steak.  She went over to confer with the menu and the chef.  I stopped eating the chopped meat, knowing I would not be able to get the steak if I kept eating it, though I did pick at the fries.  She told me that they could replace it no problem.

Soon enough, they brought out the muskox steak, and it was perfect.  It was rich, tender, and gamey.  After dinner, I looked at the dessert menu.  They had Greenlandic coffee, which is a bit of a specialty in these parts.  They also had an almond pastry, which was very Scandinavian.

They prepared the Greenlandic coffee tableside, but the waitress seemed to be struggling with it.  Perhaps she was new to it.  The almond pastry paired very nicely.  The damage for the meal was pretty steep, but moderate compared to Iceland prices.  After dinner, I headed down to the smoking room, where I sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish, post some photos, and maybe even risk an early bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment