Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Maine 2017 - Day 1 - Lobster and Blueberries


6/24/17, “Lobster and Blueberries”

Millinocket, Maine


What is about Maine that brings me back, year after year, every summer?  Is it the lobster and blueberries?  Is it the rocky shores and open bays?  Is it the woods and waters?  Well, I can get the same lobster rolls and blueberry pies around the corner from my office.  I just spent a week on the islands of fire and ice seeing rocky shores and open bays far grander than the ones in this state.  Woods and waters are to be found wherever I go on my travels.  Why Maine, then?  Why is Maine my favorite state east of the Mississippi and one of my top ten favorite states in the country?  Surely it has to be more than just lobster and blueberries, right?

The simple truth is, it’s not.  It’s about the memories of all the trips I have ever taken to Maine.  It’s about lobster bakes as a teenager and about lobster omelets and blueberry pancakes in my twenties.  It’s about watching the first sunrise of the summer from the easternmost point in the continental US one year and watching it the next year from atop the mountain that sees the first sunrise of the summer, just as much as it’s about lobster rolls.  It’s about seeing the rocky cliffs when I finally made it to Acadia National Park, just as much as it’s about blueberry ice cream.  It’s about memories old and new, just as it’s about the part Maine played in my developing my love affair with The North.  But all of it, it all comes back to lobster and blueberries.

After I closed last night, I fell asleep almost as soon as I published, and we woke up around 8 AM.  Breakfast was standard Hampton Inn fare: waffles, eggs, potatoes, and sausage, along with their too-small cups of coffee.  It was good as always, and I very much do enjoy the flavor combination of a fluffy waffle and a piece of sausage.  It was to be a heavy day of eating, as Stu was insistent on trying every food item he found listed as being a specialty of Maine. 

We headed to the amusement park, Funtown Splashtown USA, and were a little concerned that it had started to rain, but it stopped by the time we got there.  We arrived right as they opened, and it was practically empty.  It must have been a combination of it being a small park, early Saturday morning, and the weather, but we never had to wait on line, so it went quickly.  We first went on the wooden roller coaster called Excalibur, which was Camelot-themed.  That as the highest thrill ride, so Stu wanted to do it first.  It was rather thrilling, and we then went to the swinging ship called Sea Dragon, which was Viking-themed.  It was more thrilling than I expected, as it swung back and forth ascending to a 90-degree angle by the end.  After that was the log flume, which was of no interest.

We then got an early light snack, as Stu wanted to try Red Snapper hot dogs, which they had at the park.  We each got one, along with a fries to share.  After that, we went to this light show inside a tent, for which we were placed on swinging seats.  That was rather boring.

Then came the tower called Dragon Descent, which was Chinese-themed, and I found it curious that they had Camelot, Viking, and Chinese-themed, but I guess it made sense, since it is considered a “theme park.”  That was pretty scary, as it went up to the height of a skyscraper before dropping us and bringing us up and down a few more times.  It was as we were ascending that I asked Stu my signature line, “Do you have faith in the structural engineers who designed this ride and the inspectors who inspected it?”  He did.  We survived.  From there, it was the water park, but I had no interest in getting wet, so I had an LFD in the smoking area while Stu went on the water rides.  After he was done, we drove to Cape Elizabeth for lobster rolls.

We went to Two Lights and walked out on the rocky cliffs.  Stu found no interest in it, and he intimated that he had a fear of heights.  I hope my reader catches the irony.  We then went to the Lobster Shack, which is Maine’s “most iconic restaurant” according to the Thrillist list.  I had never seen the line so long, but it moved fast.  We ordered a lot, as we wanted to try everything.

What I am about to list is what we got for the pair of us to split, not what we each ate.  We got clam chowder, the clam boat (fried clams, fries, and slaw), two lobster rolls, and a blueberry pie for later.  It was epic, and I think the fried clams were my favorite part.  I will not tell my reader how much lunch for the two of us, but it will easily be the most expensive meal we have all trip, though any meal at a nice restaurant would have cost a lot more.

After lunch, I lit up a La Jugada, and we drove to Portland, stopping first at the Portland Observatory, which is a “maritime signal tower” and not a lighthouse.  In fact, it is the surviving such structure.  From there, we headed to Portland Paddle to do some kayaking.

We were both so drained at this point, and I was still traumatized from Kentucky five years ago, that we just wanted to get a feel for it, so we paddled out for about twenty minutes before turning around.  Due to the current, what took twenty minutes outbound only took five minutes inbound.  After staying dry on the water, I got soaked by a wave as I was getting ready to get out of the kayak.  After we dried off a bit, we drove towards Millinocket, but first we ate our blueberry pie, and I lit up a Barba.

We stopped at Bangor to have dinner at an iconic sandwich chain called Amato’s.  We had actually driven past the original in Portland, but we were not hungry then.  Mr. Amato was the inventor of the Italian sandwich, so that’s we got, along with chips and drinks.  For dessert, we had the official state treat: a whoopie pie.

I lit up an E.P. Carrillo, and we arrived at our hotel in Millinocket right at nautical twilight, which had ended by the time we got settled in.  We checked in and went up to our room.  I got resituated and headed down and across the street to the gas station to get a local beer, a Shipyard Summer Ale.  I then went to the bench at the hotel, where I sat down, lit up my trusty Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and, shockingly, get a full night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment