Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Maine 2017 - Day 2 - Woods and Waters


6/25/17, “Woods and Waters”

En route, I-95 S, Rhode Island

And so our trip winds to a close.  It has been another excellent adventure for Stu and Steve, our sixth one now.  Like always, it entailed a visit to a state’s “most iconic restaurant,” which was achieved by our visit to Haven Bros Diner here in Providence, Rhode Island, one that has long eluded me due to its late opening (and closing) hours.

The main event of today was visiting the newest National Monument in the region, Katahdin Woods and Waters NM, which really exemplified inland Maine, what people think of when they think of camping or summer camp: the woods and the waters.  Our time, there, however, was probably more appropriate to the song, “Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh,” Stu playing the role of Allan Sherman’s son Robert.  This was really the only thing I wanted to do during the trip, other than this dinner at Haven Bros.  What mattered for me was that I was back in Maine, that I had my blueberry pancakes, and that I got to see the woods and waters.

After I closed last night, I went inside to publish.  Once I finished publishing, a woman who was clearly drunk came up to me and asked me if she would get in trouble if she went in the pool.  “Not with me,” I quipped, proud of the quick-witted nature of the remark.  She then asked if I thought she would get “kicked out” if she did.  I asked her if she meant kicked out of the pool or of the hotel.  She meant of the hotel.  I told her I did not think she would.

She then asked if I would join her.  I asked her why, wondering if what she had in mind would be unpublishable, and she said that, if she got in trouble, she wanted someone else to share the punishment.  I was ready to go up to my room and get to sleep, so I was shocked to hear the words, “All right,” come out of my mouth.  She then said she was joking, and we both went up to our rooms.

Stu and I woke up around 7:30 AM, and we took far too long getting ready.  Around 8 AM, we headed down to breakfast, but the spread was so disappointing that I took a hard pass, other than coffee.  There was no meat, not even cheese or eggs.  I found a highly-rated place right next to the VC, by the name of Appalachian Trail Cafe, so we drove there.  It was 9 AM, which put us already behind schedule, as we were supposed to be at the VC when they opened at 9 AM.  They had a house specialty, which consisted of chopped up tater tots, shredded cheese, eggs, and toast.  We each got one of those, and I also got two blueberry pancakes with local maple syrup and coffee.  It was every bit as good as it sounds.

It was 10 AM by the time we got to the VC.  They didn’t have the unigrid yet, but they did have a different brochure and a stamp.  They also gave us all the information we needed, though it wasn’t what we wanted to here.  We would have to drive about forty-five minutes on a paved road, then another forty-five minutes on unpaved roads with no cell signal.  When we got there, we could walk about a mile to a stream and another mile back.  It was as adventurous as it sounds.

When we got to the unpaved roads, we had to rely on the physical map they gave us and the limited amount of posted signs.  It was not easy.  At one point, we started to hear a rattling, followed by a loud thud.  We put it out of mind until we reached the parking lot, at which point we examined the car and saw that nothing was loose, so we got on the trail.

I lit up a Trinidad, and we walked to the stream, where we took our ceremonial picture, and I was able to announce, again, “Maine Complete.”  It was not, “New England Complete,” as it turned out that I am actually missing an NHP in Rhode Island, which I only recently discovered I had been conflating with a different unit.  The NHP was created in 2014, and I did not realize it was separate from the larger site from which it had been carved.  We continued on the trail until we got to the lean-to, and then we turned around, being eaten alive by bugs, though my cigar worked as a repellant.

We got back to our car and continued back to the paved road, which we greeted with much cheer.  From there, it was a straight shot to Canobie Lake Park, the second amusement park Stu wanted to see in as many days.  I fell asleep on the ride, which was over four hours, and I wanted lunch after I woke up, though we were both kinda full from breakfast.  In the end, we probably should not have stopped, but that is not the point.  This was what led to our biggest fight of the trip.

Stu was concerned because we were behind schedule, and we would not get to the park until 6 PM.  It closed at 10 PM, so he did not think four hours would be enough time to do all the rides.  My reader will bear in mind that Katahdin was literally the only activity we did all trip that I wanted to do.  We had made a deal that I would not smoke in the car, like I had done all day yesterday, if he would not complain and badger me, like he had done all day yesterday.  It was a fair deal, and we had both been honoring it.  Until now.  The moment I said I wanted to get off the road for lunch, he started complaining.  We went to a Dairy Queen that was about five minutes off the road, and that was five minutes too far, not to mention the time the food would take.  Well, this was when things got bad.

En route, I-95 S, Connecticut


We have now entered into Connecticut, which necessitates a change in the dateline.  I do not need to get into much detail, but the long story short is, the first DQ didn’t have chicken fingers, so we had to go to a second one further down the road, the right direction, but just a slower road.  Stu was not happy about this detour, to say the least.  We got to the second DQ, in Kennebunk, where it all began, and they just had ice cream, no cooked food.

If I knew this in advance, I would have skipped the DQ altogether and waited until we got to the amusement park, but, since we were here, I got a large Blizzard.  This was a big mistake, and I paid the price for it later.  Our deal no longer in effect, I lit up a Prensado, which brought us to Canobie.  The entire detour only added twenty minutes.  It was around 6:45 PM when we got there due to some traffic en route.  It would be tight to do the three coasters, get a snack, and do the water rides before they closed at 10 PM.

We started with the highest thrill ride, their newest ride called Untamed.  It started with a vertical climb followed by a few inverted loops.  It was scary af.  The next ride was the wooden coaster, and as we were waiting in line, it started to rain.  Badly.  It let up by the time we went on the ride, and the rain actually cleared the park out.  We never had to wait on line again, so the rest of the park went quickly.

We went to the last coaster and then got a heavy snack, chicken fingers (finally) and fries for me, just fries for Stu.  After that, it was the two water rides, followed by the dark ride.  We then played two rounds of Skee Ball before heading to the gift shop and leaving.  I lit up a Bull & Bear for the ride, which brought us to Providence, after a brief gas scare.

We found the iconic food cart that goes by the name “Haven Bros. Diner” and is considered the “most iconic restaurant” in Rhode Island.  We went into the cart, and we each got a “murder” burger with a fried eggs and a shake, along with bacon cheese fries to share.

We went outside to the plastic tables and ate our dinner there.  It was exceptional, and I understood how they managed to stay in business with their little cart for almost 130 years now.  After dinner, we went to 7-Eleven, and I got a soda there for the road.  We went back to the car, and, I lit up Camacho.  As soon as we were on I-95, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: Newfoundland and Labrador to at last say “North America Complete.”

No comments:

Post a Comment