Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

1964: The Experience - Can Happiness be Irrational?

5/23/14
Aboard ANA 1009, En route JFK-NRT


“There was an accident on the LIE.  What would you have liked him to do?”  That was the question I asked of the two obnoxious women sitting behind me on the bus to the airport as we finally arrived at Kennedy.  I did not say it because I felt a need to defend the bus driver.  I did not say because they were slowly driving me insane, though they were.  No, Reader, I simply said it because I usually keep my mouth shut.  Since the beginning of the year, I have been taking an active effort to alter the way I behave in social situation, forcing myself into awkard situations, making myself do and say things that make me feel uncomfortable.  That was my New Year’s resolution, and I believe that I have been succeeding in fulfilling it.  Actually, I know I have.  I will further explore this concept in my Fujisan WIJG reflection, but I wanted to bring it up here, since it is a theme that has defined this year for me. 

In this entry, rather than just including Day 0 as I typically do, I will implement the CA-4 protocol and lead up with the events of the past few weeks, my quest for NHL plaques.  It stared a while ago when I finally found the one at Grand Central, but it was not until that fateful night I asked out Emily and later found myself sitting next to the NHL plaque at Rock Center that I began my quest in earnest.  The next day, I learned that there were 86 National Historic Landmarks in Manhattan, a bunch downtown, but most of them within a 15-20 minute bike ride from the office.  With the weather getting nice and an hour for lunch, I realized that not only would this be a great summer challenge, but that I could also make it the culmination of the uniform challenge.  I would be posting 86 pictures of myself looking almost identical in each picture, wearing the same shirt, holding the same water bottle.  People looking at the photos would assume they were all taken in the same day.  Slightly less than half of the NHLs had plaques, and each one provided a small value of fulfillment to me.  I had said that any one of those plaques, anywhere else in the country, would be an instant photo opportunity, yet I never made an effort to seek them out.  That changed this month.  I believe that I have now collected almost half of the sites, including 14 plaques, and I know where 3 more are.

During that time, I became more and more convinced of the philosophy of love I formalized en route to ORD.  If I ever choose to pursue philosophy as anything more than just a casual hobby, I intend to focus primarily on my philosophy of love.  There were two major holes in my theory that I could not yet resolve, the first was resolved through personal exploration and reflection, and I intend to resolve the second in the same way.

The first hole was, if you believe as I do that love (and, by extension, sex) is purely an emotional desire, then why does sexuality exist in people who believe the way I do?  It clearly does, and I resolved it in WIJG with some very real examples of the way I felt about certain people of both sexes that met varying ends of the emotional and physical attractiveness scale.  The resolution was quite simple.  I did not allow that physical attraction was necessary to romantically love someone, but I instead realized that physical repulsion would preclude any kind of romantic desire, no matter the emotional attraction.  Last night, I argued, something that I had always believed but had never quite articulated, that the purpose of love is happiness.  If you are not happy in a relationship, you should leave it, something I know at that age of 26 but did not know at the age of 13, much to my detriment.  The argument offered was that you don’t have to be happy with someone to love them.  I rejected that out of hand.

Happiness is the Final Cause of our existence, so why should love not be an Efficient Cause of Happiness?  Our emotions should be slaves to us, not us slaves to our emotions.  Love is blind they say?  Only if we refuse to see the truth.  There can be no causeless love or any other causeless emotion.  I have held the latter as an absolute truth for almost my entire life, but love, the strongest of all emotions, was not as clear.  It was only recently that I accepted that love, just as all of the other emotions, should be purely rational.  However, what Ryan said about happiness last night got stuck in my head in a completely different way.  I spoke previously about Amelia, my drunk crush, as I think of her.  I get toasted, convince myself that I might feel something towards, my drunk self even calling it love.

No matter how utterly and royally toasted I get, I never lose my ability to do two things: calculate math problems and defend my Objectivist values.  I suppose that the fact I am constantly defending said values, especially in regards to how it applies to love and sex, which I believe are one in the same, despite what others might argue, prevents me from losing sight of those values.  If I am drunkenly arguing about the Objectivist view of love and sex, how could I ever act otherwise?  Would that not be the ultimate act of hypocrisy?

The reason I bring this up is not to try and paint myself in any kind of moral light.  No, the reason I bring it up is because I was happy sitting next to her.  By the time I got home, hours after she left, it finally hit me, a thought that I had not quite been able to answer.  If something makes you happy, but it makes you happy for an irrational reason, why should you not pursue it?  Happiness, not rationality, is the Final Cause of our existence.  Is it possible to have irrational happiness, or is that a contradiction?  It is such a simple question on the surface, but it is probably the deepest question I have ever asked.

It only works from a rationalist perspective.  Someone who does not demand the highest rational thought of themselves will quickly answer that love or happiness or emotions cannot always be explained.  I reject that answer, and I could only accept an answer that was based purely on the position that all emotions can be rationally explained, except for happiness, since happiness is a result of said emotions.  Is it as simple as “Alcohol makes me happy by altering my brain chemistry, but my brain applies filters between the alcohol and the achievement of happiness, and sitting next to Amelia removes those filters?”  I would accept that as an answer, but I would prefer to approach it from a philosophical, not a physiological, vantage.  It’s not a question that I can resolve on this flight, and the evidence and arguments I would need to resolve it would more properly belong in the scope of WIJG, not this Travelogue.

I believe that is was with that in mind that I fell asleep last night.  When I woke up, Day 0 began.  Andrew had told me that I could leave two hours early because of the inspection I had done on Sunday, but HR said that the office was closing at 3:30 PM.  I was not sure if Andrew meant by that that I could leave at 1:30 PM, but I knew that if I walked into his office at 1:30 PM with my bag slung over my shoulder and could honestly tell him that I had caught up with all of my work, promising to work on his special projects on the plane, he would not object.  I say “bag slung over my shoulder” and not “suitcase in hand” since I did not pack a suitcase.  I put a few changes of clothes in my computer bag, and that was all I brought.  I pre-packed last night, since the cigar took longer than the WIJG entry, and I knew I would forget something.  I had to pick up my laundry before I could even get dressed or finish packing, so that cost me about 15 precious minutes of sleep, but I still managed to get 6 hours, so that was good.

I was at the office by the time I realized that I had only packed one extra uniform shirt, forgetting to pack my homecoming shirt for the last day.  If I left the office at 1:30 PM, I would have plenty of time to have lunch and a cigar before catching my bus to the airport.  I knew that the cigar would outlast whatever time it took me to bike home and back to get the shirt.  A little after 9AM, I met Sokol in the lobby, and we headed to Lunchbox to grab a quick breakfast, since we felt bad that we kept missing each other this week when he was in the city.  By 1:20 PM, I was caught up with my work and had everything I needed ready to get on the plane, except that shirt.  However, Young was not there, so I could not review the two proposals.

I realized two things.  First, the proposals could wait until Tuesday morning.  Second, I could grab my lunch, eat at my desk, and then leave the office at 2PM.  It would look better to do that than leave at 1:30 PM and get lunch and then leave, even if the total work hours were the same.  It also gave me more of a chance for Young to get back.  I got my usual pre-departure meal at Hop Won: shrimp with lobster sauce and boneless spare ribs, no rice.  After lunch, I went into Andrew’s office as planned, and he was quite pleased to hear that I was all caught up.  We looked at a map of Tokyo so that he could tell me all the places he enjoyed visiting while he was there.  I also knew that places where he spent a day would take me less than an hour, but I took the advice to heart, especially since it was compatible with my current agenda.

That was that, I headed downstairs to have my Cohiba, get my shirt, and take the bus to the airport.  I bumped into Young in the lobby, and we said our goodbyes, not that I would be seeing him any less than if I had just been going to Scarsdale at 2PM.  It’s a funny thing.  It seemed as if for every person that said goodbye to me, it was not simply as if I was just going to Scarsdale for the weekend, even though they would not have seen me over the weekend anyway and that they would see me on Tuesday morning at the same time either way.  What difference does it make if I am half a world away or half a mile away?  The answer is none, which is why the one person whom I know thinks entirely rationally did not give me a big goodbye.  I lit up the Cohiba, grabbed the bike, quickly made it to my apartment, got the shirt, grabbed the same bike, and headed back.  I had about 30 minutes before I needed to catch the bus, so I headed back to the cigar store.  I traded with Hasan a Cuban for a Davidoff Nic Toro and purchased an Ashton ESG.  I said my goodbyes and went to get the bus.

The bus was at 3PM, and my flight was at 6:05 PM, meaning the check-in closed at 5:05 PM.  I was not too worried.  That all changed very shortly.  I knew there would be traffic, but I did not imagine how bad it would be.  I posted my NHL photos to Facebook, and then we hit the traffic, the bad traffic.  I will not go into the play-by-play details, but I knew I was in serious danger of missing my flight.  The whole bus was complaining, but, what really bothered me was that the two woman behind me, talking on end for the entire ride, were blaming the bus driver.  I think it bothered me more that they did not stop talking than the fact that they were blaming the bus driver, but I was not usually the kind of person to tell someone to shut up.  Usually.  It was 4:30 PM by the time we arrived at JFK, and I was nowhere near out of the woods, figuring it could very well take 30 minutes for him to go through all the terminals to get to mine.

One of the women made another wisecrack, and that was when I finally decided to turn around and say something, demanding, “There was an accident on the LIE.  What would you have liked him to do?”  They were taken aback.  How do you respond to something like that?  “We’re just talking.”  It was too perfect of a set up.  I could not resist.  I said to myself but loud enough so that I knew they would hear, “Yeah, you haven’t stopped talking the entire bus ride.”  That shocked them.  They did not expect someone to say that to them.  “We haven’t stopped talking for 5 days.”  I could hear them laughing at me, calling me a dick, trying to figure out how to respond.  I didn’t care.  I had done something that was hard for me, and nothing bad happened.

It was 4:45 PM when we got to my terminal, so I was looking pretty good.  My food is here, so I will have to wrap up.  By the time I checked in and got through security, it was 5:10 PM, and we did not start boarding for another hour, but I was too stressed to do anything productive.  I bought some Opus X from the duty free, got a burger from McDonald’s, took a much needed U, refilled my water bottle, and headed to the gate.  I had an aisle seat in a four-seater with the two middle seats empty.  There was a guy on the other end, and he moved to the seat in front of us, which was also empty.  That meant I had the whole four-seater to myself, a huge boon, especially on such a long haul.  I realized that I had forgotten my eye mask, but the stewardess was able to provide me with another.  As soon as we were airborne, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can have my dinner and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment