Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, May 26, 2014

1964: The Experience - Reflections/The Journey Home

5/26/14
Tokyo International Airport, Japan (HND)

Ah, the triumphant airport entry, the best part of a successful trip.  I will treat The Journey Home in its entirety either from LAX or en route GCT.  This entry will contain my reflections on Japan.  When I first arrived, I loved Japan.  Now that I am ready to depart, not so much.  There are parts of Japan that I will miss, but others that I will not.  I first thought that, despite the language barrier, this was a place that I could live.  After two days, certain aspects of the culture have started to drive me insane.  I could never live in city where you are not supposed to smoke a cigar while you’re jaywalking.  Although no one stopped me from smoking on the streets, I knew that it was not allowed, and I did not see anyone else doing it.  Likewise with the jaywalking.  I cannot understand, when no cars are coming, not crossing the street.  Traffic lights are for cars, not people.  People cross when it’s safe.  Cars cross when it’s green.  Barriers that prevent you from crossing the street in the middle.  Not my kind of thing.  I don’t like their obsession with order and cleanliness and neatness.  I don’t like the masks that so many people wear.  I don’t.  The anti-smoking culture is pretty bad, some ways worse than New York, others not as bad.  However, it is nothing like Jordan or even Moscow.

When I went through security at the airport, they put a pair of slides in front of me.  Three times the security guard moved the slides in front of my feet, and three times I sidestepped them.  I could tell he would think it rude to tell me to put them on, so he sort of made a sound and pointed at them.  I made a negative sound in response and he moved them away.  Was it really any cleaner to be wearing the same pair of slides that 100s of people wore every day than to walk around in my socks?  In Japan, they want everything to be just so, and, while it fits in well with my previously described definition of aesthetics, and I found their temples to be very beautiful, it does not work well for me in practice.

I like the obsequious service, but I could never so “fake polite” like that.  The people are constantly bowing every chance they have, and I find it demeaning.  The Japanese are no longer servants of the Emperor.  Waiters and all sorts of service stuff still have that mindset.  Japan is the kind of place where, if I’m not watching where I’m going and bump into a waiter, he’ll apologize to me for being in my way.  And bow.

That said, there is a lot of stuff I love about dear Nippon.   The train system, both local and long-distance, is excellent.  No matter how long the trip is, the trains are accurate to the minute.  The subway system is as good as New York, and I did not need to take a single cab today, not even to the airport.  The seats are cushioned in all the trains, and they all have the electronic systems.  The stations are numbered, which we do not do in New York.  It’s almost as if Dagny Taggart ran this rail system, which is ironic, since it is state-owned.  I like that they have plenty of clean, public bathrooms, even in the train stations.  I do not like that there is a last train.  That is pretty much the only way in which our train system beats theirs.

I would also like to discuss the idiosyncrasies unique to this country.  The first are the bathrooms.  They don’t have soap, the public ones at least.  They have places to hang your umbrella at the Uer and by the sink, but they don’t have soap.  At first, I thought that that was very disgusting, but then I remembered.  They have these electronic seats, with a butt washer and a seat warmer, both of which I am averse to using.  I like toilet paper, and I like a cold seat.  If you are using the butt washer, I guess you don’t really need to wash your hands, but it’s still pretty gross.  Every restaurant I went to gave me a wet wipe to start the meal.  I never used it, but it was still interesting.  They also brought the check out with the food, which I loved.  No more waiting forever to get the check in abject boredom after my meal.  If I have exact change, I can leave as soon as I’m done eating.  That leads me to another thing: no tipping.  It is considered an insult to tip anyone here.  I like that the price you see is the price you pay.  I like not having to carry around small banknotes or large coins to tip people, but I don’t like that I cannot leave a bad tip for bad service, though bad service probably does not exist here.

Regarding the coins, the largest coin they have is, I believe, worth more than any coin I have ever used.  It is worth about 20 times our largest coin that we regularly use.  I like the precision with which people use time.  5 minutes means 5 minutes.  Haneda is the most punctual airport in the world.  I like the honesty.  In Kyoto, I saw a line of bikes just parked on the streets, no locks.  That shocked me.  The payment for the trams was on the honor system.  I figured that maybe Kyoto was a smaller town.  The Wikitravel “Stay Safe” section for Tokyo pretty much says that is the safest place in the world, and doesn’t give any warnings.  In Tokyo, I saw the exact same thing.  Unattended bikes with no locks.  That is unthinkable for a New Yorker.  I almost considered taking one for a joy ride.  I, of course, did not.

I did, however, do pretty much everything I set out to do.  There is no rush to go back, though I do look forward to returning eventually.  I will probably make G7 Complete one of my 40 Goals, so that will be a fun trip.  Sitting in this airport, I am now further east than I have ever been, and, until I go to Australia, I will not go further east than this.  If 2012 was the beginning of the silver age of travel, 2013 about exploring the world, 2014 was about expanding my horizons.  This year, I will travel further in all 4 cardinal directions than I have ever been.  Alaska will take my further north of west and my New Year’s trip further south.  In fact, when I set foot in Buenos Aires, it will be the first time I go south of the equator.  Actually, I may have never even been in the air south of the equator.  It has been an amazing year of travel so far, having visited 8 new countries, 24 new WHS, 3 new NP, 3 new Olympic Stadiums (plus seeing another), and a new Canadian territory, and it’s not even half over.  My pipe is almost done, and I want to head to my gate, so I will close.  I guess I will do The Journey Home from LAX.


Los Angeles International Airport, California (LAX)


When 2020 comes to pass, there will be exactly sites places in the world that have hosted two Olympics: Tokyo and Los Angeles.  That was not missed on me as I flew from Tokyo to Los Angeles (HND-LAX).  Yes, London and Paris have hosted multiple Olympics, but they had each stadium at a different location.  After I closed from the bar in Akasaka, I headed outside.  I was sore in every single part of my body, especially the ones required for body, and I seriously considered taking a cab, especially when I realized that it was raining.  I asked how much the fare was?  He had almost no English, so I opened up the calculator on my phone, and he typed it in.  It was about the same as I would have spent on a cab to Kennedy, so I turned him down, especially given that I could use public transportation to get to the airport for just the coins I had left in my pocket with the rail pass.  I had to take three different trains, including the monorail, and I had a little trouble navigating it all, but I figured it out.  Google Maps has to be to the greatest thing ever invented.  Other than my cab fares in Kyoto the tram in Hiroshima, and some nominal charges for the Tokyo Metro, I did not spend a single yen on transportation, my rail pass covering everything else.

Without Google Maps, I would not have been able to use public transportation so efficiently, and I would have had a hefty cab budget both in Hiroshima and Tokyo.  Oh, right, the taxi to and from the cigar bar last night, but that was only because it was so late, and I was so tired.  I say last night, although it was more than 36 hours ago, since it is still technically Monday now in Los Angeles.  When I got to the monorail, I heard an announcement that the train was about to depart, so I made a run for it.  A somewhat cute American was also running for it with me.  We got in just as the doors closed, and she looked at me and laughed.  I then did something I almost never do.  “Good trip?”  She said that it was.  It was only two words, but, other than sarcastic comments or angry retorts, I never talk to strangers.  I don’t even like saying hello to people on my floor at work.

We got to Haneda in no time, and I checked in.  I looked at the board, and something was off.  The 00:05 flight to LAX was a Delta flight.  I ignored it for the moment, but it was worrying me at the back of my head, since I was supposed to be on a NH/UA codeshare, not a DL flight.  I breezed through security and checked out duty free.  I considered getting some sake or whiskey to bring back, but they did not have the security bags, so I would not be able to bring it aboard my LAX-JFK flight.  The only cigars they had were Davidoff, so that was a letdown.  Whether due to tobacco tax or the premium location, the cigars had been twice what I would pay in Spain, so I hadn’t bought a box yet.  It means that I will need to be conservative for the next few months, but I could not justify buying a box of cigars that cost a week’s net pay just to be used as an everyday cigar.  The gate on my ticket said 110, but the gate for the DL flight on the board said 142.

There was a smoking bar right by 110, so I decided I would have a pipe while I wrote the reflective entry and then figure out, since I had plenty of time.  I walked to the back, got myself set up, and grabbed an ashtray.  Someone came over me and told me that I had to place an order at the bar.  That was fine, I wanted to try Japanese whiskey anyway, and I knew that I could use my card.  Whatever the price of the whiskey, it would be worth the admission fee to the smoking lounge, especially since there were two outlets there.  It was pretty much a free drink.  The whiskey was excellent, as good as any scotch I’ve ever had, and I should probably try to convince my father to pick up a bottle for the house, though I suppose that I have already just done that, since I know he will be reading this.

After my pipe, I headed to the departure board.  Once again, the DL flight, 00:05 HND-LAX, was Gate 142, the opposite end of the airport.  I didn’t think I had the energy or strength to make it.  I checked another board along the way.  Then I saw it, “0:05   Los Angeles   NH 1006   110.”  In other words, there were two HND-LAX flights, both departing at 00:05.  That wasn’t confusing at all.  I wondered how often people go to the wrong gate, try to get on the wrong plane, miss their flight.

As I was waiting, I heard my name called.  I was a little nervous, since my name never gets called.  Was something wrong with my flight?  The agent had a bunch of tickets.  Was I being upgraded to business class?  No such luck.  They handed me a card that said the TSA required I submit to additional security screening.  Had I raised some red flag?  Or was this just a random screening?  I hoped it was the latter.  There was no x-ray machine, so I was worried about having to unpack and repack my bags or that I might lose my lighter.  The woman asked if she may touch my bags?  I said that she could.  May she touch me?  I gave permission.  Again, they offered me slides, and, again, I turned them down.  They just swabbed my clothes and bags to test for explosive residue.  Quick and painless.

We soon began boarding, and the flight was full, no room to stretch out like last time.  As I was making my way to my seat, I heard a crash, some things fall out of a bag.  I looked up to see a skin color I had not seen since leaving New York.  It would be a lie to say that my mind did not connect those things.  Every Japanese person loaded their bags with extreme precision and efficiency, and I thought to myself that she wasn’t ready for the big leagues.  I sat down and made a playlist of my favorite Avril and Taylor songs, plugged in my headphones, and put on my eyemask, ready to lean back and pass out as soon as we were off the ground.  A stewardess came over and me to turn off my phone (strike one), put on my seatbelt (strike 2), and stow my bag under my seat (strike 3).  I knew that I was doing all three of those things wrong, and I’m sure she knew I knew, too, but she was so polite and apologetic about it.  I just put my phone away, keeping the music playing.

I woke up about 4 hours later to find my tray table ajar.  There was a sandwich and a bottle of water wedged in, how nice.  I had some of the water and went back to sleep.  When I woke up again, I took a much needed U and returned to my seat to find the Japanese next to me had gotten up.  I could only assume that they had waited the 8 or so hours while I was sleeping before they get up because they were too polite to disturb my sleep.

The sandwich was actually three half sandwiches: ham, egg salad, and chopped liver.  I then did something that no Japanese person would do in public.  I read that something about Japanese culture was that people there are constantly concerned about not doing anything that would reflect poorly upon them to other people.  I am the polar opposite.  I don’t give two fucks what strangers give about me.  I don’t even give one fuck.  I used my fingers to pick out the protein in between the bread and eat it.  I then licked my fingers clean.  The second meal service was soon beginning, and I got the beef stew.  The problem with the meal service on these big flights is that I eat quickly, and, once I’m done, I’m a prisoner in my seat until they take away my tray.  I needed to U again, and my fingers reeked of chopped liver, so I didn’t want to go back to sleep, which would make my hair smell like chopped liver.

It was almost an hour before they took away the trays, and I couldn’t use my computer, either.  Then, the line at the bathroom was too long.  I might have gotten a little bit of sleep at that point.  When the line dwindled down, I went to wash my hands and take my much needed U.  Oh, and with all my trips to the bathroom, I did another thing that no Japanese person would ever do.  Not wanting to constantly fumble with me shoes, I forewent them, just wearing my socks.  I didn’t really care, but I’m sure that I was being judged.  When we finally landed, again, all the Japanese people unloaded their bags with complete efficiency, and again another crash from the black woman.  Did she really think that if everything fell out when she was loading it that nothing would fall out when she took it down?  I saw that she had all these small bags, unlike the large shopping bag I had had for all of my acquisitions.  We got off the plane, and I realized that I was in the famous Tom Bradley International Terminal for the first time.

I went through my Global Entry process with no hassle.  When I handed the agent my ticket, he asked to see my passport.  That was new.  “Where in the god-awful State of New York were you born?”  “Right in midtown Manhattan.”  “I’m sorry.”  I laughed.  “I was born in the beautiful state across the river.”  “New Jersey?”  He confirmed that and told me to have a nice day.  I put my headphones back on and made my way to Terminal 7 for my connection.  It was a bit of a walk, but I lit up an Opus for the walk.  Once I got to the terminal, I sat down and proceeded to write this entry, which I will close.  It has been a great trip.  On the way home, I always think about how I’ll answer the question people will inevitably ask, “Did you enjoy yourself?”  Without a moment’s hesitation, I will say that I did.  Other than Kyoto, I pretty much loved every minute of it.  There were plenty of disappointments, but I certainly got my money’s worth in enjoyment and fulfillment value.  Next stop: Boston and Maine with my mother to get the last brown (North Atlantic NPS) stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment