Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, May 26, 2014

1964: The Experience - Tokyo

5/26/14
Tokyo, Japan (Asakusa)

“When in Tokyo, do as the…”  Wait, that’s not right.  When I travel, I take great pains to make sure I can experience as much local culture as I can.  From the food to the modes of travel, I like to do what the locals do.  More often than not, it means eating foods I would never dare to taste in New York.  Sometimes, it’s awful.  Othertimes, I discover great new foods.  To me, travel is about more than just sightseeing, even more than just check boxes off my list.  It’s about experiencing new cultures and truly exploring the world.

Certain trips, like the WWI trip, are a series of Munich Runs.  Other trips, like the CA-4 trip, are a “If it’s Tuesday, then this must be Belgium” type of trip.  Then we have the hub and spoke trip.  In order for a trip to be a proper hub and spoke trip, I need to stay in the same hotel each night and base my adventures from the central city.  Mexico City was like that.  When I plan a trip like that, I can include a very special day, one that I call the city day.  While any of the other trip types can implement the Copenhagen or Istanbul protocols, a proper city day is different.  I had one in Moscow, and I had one in Tehran.

Today, here in Tokyo, is the proper city day.  It is the first proper city day that I have done entirely on my own, without a tour guide.  The great thing about a city day is that you can choose half a dozen sites and hit them all in one day, oftentimes even leaving time for cigar shop and/or a nice meal.  On the list for today was the National Diet, the National (Olympic) Stadium, the Imperial Palace, souvenir shopping, the Tokyo Skytree, the Cigar Club, and, if time allowed, a nice meal.

I did not set an alarm clock last night, choosing instead to wake up naturally.  Without my sleep machine, however, I have constantly waking up between sleep cycles, so it was only an issue of deciding at which 90-minute increment I wanted to get out of bed.  On the way back from the cigar bar last night, I realized that I still needed a Sunday newspaper for my collection.  Tokyo was too major of a city not to get the newspaper.  I asked the driver to stop, but he didn’t understand.  It was okay.  I figured that the hotel would have a paper.  I was right.  In fact, one had also been left in my room.  I was shocked by the level of service provided by housekeeping, except for one thing: they didn’t replace the soap.  That seems like a minor thing, but my reader will know that I collect hotel toiletries, and I cannot collect a used bar of soap.  They had left my half-empty cup of sake, and they even folded my dirty shirts and socks.  I knew that it would make packing much easier.

I headed down for breakfast a little behind schedule, but I knew that the limiting reactant, should I choose to do it, would be watching the sun set at the Tokyo Skytree.  It would be quite easy to do everything else on the list before then.  I got the same thing I order for breakfast every morning in New York, along with undercooked bacon and overpriced coffee.  When I say overpriced, I mean 4 times the price of a coffee at Starbucks.  It was almost as much as I paid for the double espresso in Moscow and more than I ever paid for drip coffee.

I decided to stop at the concierge to get the dope on the Olympic Stadium, since the information available online was unclear.  I also considered asking her to make me a reservation at a nice restaurant.  From what I understood online, tours were offered of the Stadium from the Sports Museum, which was technically instead the Stadium.  I was not sure if tours were available to the general public or only as part of organized groups.  She called the stadium, and the sound of conversation seemed off.  When she hung up, she uttered the dreaded word, “Sorry.”  The rest of the sentence didn’t matter.  The stadium was not accessible to the public, only for concerts and sporting events, of which there was not one tonight.

Okay, but what about the sports museum?  If I could go into the museum, I would technically be inside the stadium, and that would be okay.  Where was the access to the museum?  Would it be open today?  Closed for renovations.  I asked when the renovations would start, and when they would end, but it didn’t matter.  I was under the impression that the demolition of the Stadium was slated to begin in July.  Surely they would not be renovating it in time.  It didn’t make any sense.  I was devastated.  Was there any way around this?  No, I could not afford another vacation day.  Could I trade this trip with my birthday trip in September?  No, the demolition would begin by then.

Determined not to lose heart, nor to let this ruin my day exploring Tokyo, I decided I would just go and see what could be done.  Maybe I could plead with or bribe a guard or construction worker.  Maybe I could show my USOC Sixth Ring card and make up some story.  Maybe I could find an open gate.  Maybe I could somehow get close enough to be able to say that I was “inside the stadium.”  Meanwhile, I had lost my desire for a nice meal, but I did not lose my desire for a cigar.  I want to the cigar store in the lobby and got an overpriced El Rey del Mundo Exclusivo Asia Pacifico.

I lit up my Ashton ESG and made my way towards the National Diet.  I knew that whatever happened at the Stadium, if I got home and did not like the picture I took at the legislature, I would be disappointed.  There was no point being disappointed about two things.  When I finally got to the Diet, it was all closed off, and I had to go across the street to take a decent picture.  I could walk up to any legislative building in the United States at any hour of the day and touch the front gate.  Well, maybe Congress requires some security checkpoints, but you can get an unobstructed view of it from the National Mall.  It made me realize just how true “We the People” is.  I am always shocked in other countries when the building is either behind a gate or even blocked from public view.  My only conclusion is that those countries do not truly have a people’s government.  In a true republic, affairs of the government are a matter of public concern.  My making the legislative buildings open to the public, it emphasizes that point.  I believe that almost every legislative session in the United States at every level is open to the public.  That is certainly not the case in other countries.  At least I was able to take a good picture here.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the non-smoking signs, I looked at them more closely.  They clearly said in English, in block letters, that smoking on the street was prohibited.  I passed plenty of cops, but none of them said anything.  It was over an hour from the hotel to the stadium, in the heat, in my suit, lugging my heavy bag.  None of that mattered.  I was a man on a mission.  However, a bathroom emergency changed that.  After I ditched my cigar, I stopped at a 7-11.  Yes, they have them here.  There was no “you need to buy something” or “customers only.”  In the end, I did buy something, two much-needed bottles of diet sports drink, along with using the ATM.  I made my way to the Stadium, and I was ready for anything.

The place was teeming with cops and locked gates.  My plan was to walk around the Stadium in search of an unmanned, unlocked gate.  Alternatively, I would use my USOC card to try and make up some story.  As I was walking, I saw that there was a soccer match at the Stadium.  Fuck!  I should have planned my trip around attending that soccer match.  Oh well, it was too late.  As I walked, I realized that I was underneath the concrete of the uppermost seats and, worst comes to worst, I could call that being in the Stadium.  But, wait.  There’s no one at this gate.  And, look.  It’s unlocked.  Throwing caution into the wind, I opened it.  It made a terrible screeching sound, and there were guards and construction workers not far away.  Surely they would notice.  They either didn’t notice or didn’t care.

I made my way to the seating area, but there was another gate, locked.  It didn’t matter.  I was most certainly “inside the stadium at that point.”  I started laughing in triumph.  I couldn’t believe that I did it.  I like to say that there is a story behind each Olympic Stadium visit, and there certainly is for this one.  After I took my pictures, I didn’t get the hell out of Dodge.  I got the fuck out of Dodge.  I walked a few blocks away, not caring if I was going in the right direction, not checking my map until I was out of sight.  I did, however, stop at the open gate to the museum and asked the guard if it was closed.  It was.  I might have been able to use my USOC trick with him, but it was unnecessary.  I had did it and managed to get away with it.

I lit up the Trinidad I had been saving as my triumphant cigar and walked towards the Imperial Palace, which was also closed to the public.  It was a huge cigar, and it was starting to burn my fingers by the time I got to the gate.  There was no view of the Palace, but I showed the guard a picture, and he told me where to go to take a photo.  It’s a great trick that I learned.  You download pictures of all the sites to your phone, and you can show them to people when you ask for directions.  Andrew had told me that there wasn’t much to see at the Palace, and he was right.  The only picture I could take was of an ornamental gate.  I had finished my cigar by the time I got to the gate.

At some point, I had decided to put on my headphones, and, with Avril Lavigne blaring into my ears, Tokyo was no different from Moscow or Manhattan.  I decided to take the subway to Asakusa, where the main souvenir market was.  I had to transfer, but the subway system in Tokyo is just as good as the one in Manhattan and even more reliable.  When they say the train is at 13:51, it’s at 13:51.  I stopped for lunch when I got to Asakusa, treating myself to some Tempura.  As I ate the appetizers, I realized that I was properly using the chopsticks to pick up the pieces of squid.  It only took my 26 years.

Once I got to Nakamise, the main souvenir street, I lit up my El Rey del Mundo.  This time people told me to stop smoking.  The first person was a lady who sold me some souvenirs, but she waited until after I made my purchase.  The second lady was the one next to another vendor whom I was offering my custom.  No one wanted to risk a sale by telling me to stop smoking.  I got everything I needed and realized that, other than coins, I all I had left were the banknotes I had withdrawn at the 7-11.  They wouldn’t go to waste.  The street led to a famous Shinto shrine, which was quite impressive.  I definitely like the Shinto shrines better than the Buddhist ones.  After I saw the shrine, I saw a sign for a smoking area.  Thinking “When in Rome,” I headed there.  After a bit, I found a seat, and, sitting in view of the Skytree, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head over there.


Tokyo, Japan (Akasaka)


So, my idea of getting to the Skytree simply by looking up and walking towards it was not as simple as it seemed.  There was a river to be crossed, and I had to find a bridge, but I got there in due time.  From a distance, it seemed huge, and it just kept get bigger the closer I got (That’s what she said).  I don’t think that I found Burj Khalifa that impressive.  When I got there, I saw a convenience store at the base that sold replicas of the right size and color, but I knew there to be a few official shops inside, so that would be the first choice.  As I made my way up, I saw a Denny’s which I did not expect to see in Japan.

I got to the plaza outside, and I was absolutely floored looking up 2000 feet to the top of this tower.  I went inside, and I saw the dreaded words: closed due to high wind.  I took a sigh of relief and headed to the gift shop.  Technically, I was inside the tower, but then I remembered.  It was not any kind of goal to scale the tallest towers in the world or even to be inside of them.  I stood at the bottom and looked up in wonder.  That was enough.  I also asked myself if I had to choose between going inside the Stadium and going up the tower, and the choice was clear.  Unfortunately, the gift shop did not have any good replicas.  It was Burj Khalifa all over again.  I fell asleep at the top of Burj Khalifa, and they wouldn’t let me up the Tokyo Skytree.  What will happen when I go to the Canton Tower?  The last tower that was a real success was the one in Tehran.  Even the CN Tower was a bit of a letdown.  I got a keychain and some shitty replicas.  I then saw that they had these “grab bag” sealed balls that each continued a tiny replica.  The ones that mattered to me, other than the Skytree, were the Asakusa Shrine and the National Diet.  The question became the most economical way to do it.  I bought three, knowing that I needed at least that many.  The first one was the shrine, but the next two were the Skytree.  They saw me opening them with my fey look and got a kick out of it.  I told them that I was going to get more, but I told her to only ring me up after I opened them.  Three more, no National Diet.  I paid and went to get more.  The manager walked over, and I wondered at point they were just to going to offer me the display one.  Fortunately, the next batch had the National Diet.  I left happy and left them very confused.

In re: me not wanting the Skytree, the manager had said, “You’re different from everyone else.”  I walked away carrying that very proudly.  Yes, other people do not travel the way I do.  I decided to stop Denny’s just so I could say that I did, and I got lost along the way.  The menu was in Japanese only, but it looked like they just had hamburgers accompanied by two choices in starch.  I got the cheapest one since I would not have more than a bite or two of the starch.  While I waited for my burger, I read different people’s takes on what they will and will not miss about Japan, which will be the theme of my reflective entry.  I then went back to the convenience store to get the replica, along with getting a make your own replica at the shop next door.

I took the subway to the ANA Intercontinental where the Cigar Club was, finally getting to experience the traditional Japanese rush hour, though it was not as bad as I had heard.  Granted, I probably was not on the most crowded line, and I got on at the first stop.  As I was entering the hotel, I saw a very elegant buffet set-up, and I considered that I might get my dinner there.  However, I knew that I would want to have a cigar at the Cigar Club and another one after I ate.  I did not want to eat first, and I did not have time for a meal and two cigars.  It turned out that Cigar Club was just a small cigar store with no smoking area, but they said I could smoke at one of the bars.  The cigars were overpriced (double), so a box was out of the question.  I just decided to get one of each of the Exclusivo Asia Pacifico cigars.  After the first four, he realized what I was after and pointed out one that I missed.  Each time I picked out a cigar and handed it to him to put in the tray, he thanked me and bowed.  I’m not sure whether or not I will miss the obsequious service.

I walked back down to the buffet and looked it over.  There was some good stuff, so I asked the price.  It was very high but less than I would have spent on a three-star.  I was hungry, and I was here, so I decided to do it.  Between the cigars and the meals, I used up the rest of my banknotes and most of my coins, but I should still have enough to take the subway to the airport, and I have plenty of time should something go wrong.  I headed up to the bar to have my cigar, and they had an amazing selection of high-end liquor.  I probably would have gotten more pleasure out of spending what I spent on dinner on a high-end drink, but my budget for the trip had been expended, even over the original budget, so I decided I would just have the cigar.

I wondered if she would give me a hard time, and I erred towards having to her into it.  I was right.  She said, not in so many words, that I needed to order something.  I showed her my box from the Cigar Club and told her that I bought the cigars downstairs and that they said I could smoke up here.  She went to check with her manager and came back with matches, a cutter, and a cigar ashtray.  I chose a Juan Lopez, lit it up, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it, upload my photos, and begin the long Journey Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment