Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, May 24, 2014

1964: The Experience - The Kyoto Protocol (Or: More Thoughts on Happiness)

5/24 (WIJG)
Aboard Hikari 501, En route Tokyo-Kyoto

The fundamental question is this “If something makes you happy, but it makes you happy for an irrational reason, why should you not pursue it?”  That is the practical version of the question, which I attempt to pursue from a more philosophical vantage.  The philosophical formulation becomes “Happiness, not rationality, is the Final Cause of our existence.  Is it possible to have irrational happiness, or is that a contradiction?”  The opening salvo in this argument is “Emotions are irrational if acting on them will reduce your happiness.”  What then does that mean about irrational happiness?  In order to better understand this we need to go back to the balance between fulfillment and enjoyment.  I suppose irrational happiness would be something that increases your enjoyment at too great of a cost to your fulfillment.  It’s about net happiness, and there has to be some way to balance it out.  [Cut a discussion of drunken indiscretions.]  The answer is not that you cannot always explain your emotions.  That is bullshit.  You should never act on emotions that you cannot rationally explain.  I will never say, “Oh, my emotions got the best of me.”  What then is the solution?  I am truly stumped here, and I cannot think of an answer.

Integrity.  That’s the answer.  My personal integrity is a huge part of my happiness.  One of the main reasons that I feel so fulfilled with my life is that I have such a high integrity.  I do not allow contradictions into my brain, and I hold myself to my very high set of personal standards.

The philosophical question posed was whether irrational happiness can exist, and I believe that I have answered.  Yes, irrational happiness is happiness that gives you enjoyment (or fulfillment) at too great a cost to your fulfillment (or enjoyment).  Anything that requires me to sacrifice my integrity would be irrational happiness.  That still leaves the practical question.  Should you fulfill said irrational happiness or is to do so necessarily an act of akrasia?  I believe it is the latter.  I have established that irrational happiness can exist but that it should not be acted on.  However, that still leaves one final question to explore.


If Happiness is the Final Cause of our existence, should we really question what makes us happy, other than in the pursuit of happiness?  The answer to that, I now believe, is that we should not, but it is an irrelevant question.  Every single question we ask should be in the pursuit of happiness, just as should be every single action we take.  If something makes us happy, of course should ask why it makes us happy and if we will be sacrificing more happiness down the line.  I believe that that brings me full circle.


5/24/14 (Travelogue)
Kyoto, Japan

I cannot remember so looking forward to a WHS and then being so disappointed by it.  That said, I am glad that I visited Kinkaku-Ji, or the Golden Pavillion as it is called.  My goals for today, at the most basic level were to see the best Buddhist shrine, the best Shinto shrine, and Hiroshima.  Adding Nara only came later as an afterthought.  I woke up early and knew that I would not get back to sleep.  I actually had enough time to shower and have my Nic Toro before my train, so that was exactly what I did.  When I woke up, I realized that I could see the Diet from my hotel room, not noticing it at night.  This makes three hotel rooms in a room now where I have seen a legislature building from my window.  There were “No Smoking” signs all over the street at random locations.  The only logical conclusion was that the city of Tokyo banned smoking on the street, but I refused to accept that as the reason.  Following the train tracks, I had no trouble finding the station, and I found a nice place to sit outside and finish my cigar.

I planned and replanned my day, trying to figure out alternative options.  In the end, I knew that it would all depend on what time I left Kinkaku-Ji.  I am one of the few people in the world who can say, “I will evaluate all of my options and make a rational decision,” and actually do it.  That motto served me well during my Eurotrip and my WWI trip, and I knew it would serve me well here.  When I got inside, I was amazed.  This was Japan’s Penn Station.  You could catch a train there to anywhere in the country.  Reader, it was 6AM on a Sunday, and I had never seen Grand Central or Penn Station that crowded, even during rush hour on a weekday.  The train ride was unadventurous, and I could feel how fast the train was moving.  I did not get to see Fujisan, most likely due to heavy fog.  I went to the bathroom, and I was shocked to discover that there was no soap, but, fortunately, there was a separate sink-only unit that had soap.

Once I realized that I was not going to see Fujisan, I went to the smoking compartment and lit up an Opus.  I continued for almost the entire train ride to evaluate my options, including trading Nara for a nice lunch in Kyoto.  In the end, that’s what I think I will do.  Unwilling to stand for 90 minutes, I sat in a corner of the smoking compartment and wrote my WIJG entry.  I will include the highlights when I publish as the philosophical section.  We arrived at Kyoto right at 9:14 AM, just like clockwork, and I took a cab to Kinkaku-Ji.

When I got there, I went to cross the street, and I experienced something new.  A cop actually stopped me from jaywalking.  There were no cars coming in either direction, but he would not let me cross against the light.  When I got to the entrance, there were no smoking signs everywhere, but I knew that I could not leave the WHS without a Cuban.  The site was as packed with Japanese tourists as the Statue of Liberty ever is.  I found the plaque and had no trouble finding the vista of the inscription photo.  I recreated the photo and took a few of myself without the cigar.  I then lit up the Cohiba, and people started staring bullets of me.  After a few photos, I moved aside, but I was completely underwhelmed.

I realized that I had already achieved my maximum value from the site and that I could leave right away, possibly even getting back on my original schedule, but the walk to the exit took too long, especially after stopping for souvenirs.  I didn’t really want to buy the souvenirs, but it was a WHS, and they were cheap enough.  One of the vendors, at an outdoor kiosk, refused to sell to me while I was smoking my cigar.  I had never seen such an aversion to smoke.

Just as Andrew had promised, the place that had the green tea also had the replicas, but that, too, was disappointing.  It was gold, plastic, piece of crap.  It was not like the beautiful replicas I have collected from Europe and the Middle East.  I tried to get a taxi to Nara, but it was too expensive, and they wouldn’t let me smoke my cigar.  If either it was cheaper or if I could have finished my cigar, I would have went.  My meal at Kyoto’s best restaurant will be significantly cheaper, and I will probably enjoy it more than Nara.  I went to the smoking area by the bus stop, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, while I finished my cigar, which is almost done.  I would have liked to write my entry in view of the temple, but that was not an option.  It was a very beautiful sight, but it did nothing for me.  Did I enjoy seeing Kinkaku-Ji?  No.  Am I happy that I saw it?  You bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment