Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Colorado NP - Day 0 - Loneliness


8/29/14
Aboard UA 509, En route LGA-DEN

I suppose that I could say that, in the 5 days since I closed coming home from the airport, not much has changed in my life.  Of the four nights, I had two very enjoyable evenings, getting home after 11:30 PM both nights.  The other two nights I fell asleep early.  I have not been sleeping well, and have not had a need to set an alarm clock all week, knowing that I would wake up around 7 AM without an alarm.  Maybe it’s something wrong with my sleep machine, maybe it’s stress, maybe it’s love.  When Andrew said that I seemed distracted all week, I told him that I’m lot less focused when I’m love-struck than when I’m heartbroken.  The flipside of that equation was that I’m more likely to oversleep if I’m upset than if I’m happy.

Anyway, back on topic.  An interesting part of this trip is that it is the first trip that I have taken alone in over 3 months.  I have not slept in my own hotel room since Tokyo.  It was a matter of coincidence that it played out that way, but I actually liked it, having travelling companions over the course of the summer.  It made the trips more stressful in some ways, but it also made them more enjoyable in many ways.  More importantly, in my personal life, I do not want to be alone, either.  In fact, I never want to be alone again.  My father once, well more than once, relayed a quote to me, from either Nathaniel Branden or some dancer, I cannot recall.  The quote was quite simple.  “Everyone who is alone is lonely.”  I never quite believed that.  I preferred a different quote, about either Kennedy or FDR inviting some brain trust to dinner at the White House.  The quote went something like, “It was the greatest collection of minds to sit down to dinner at the White House since Thomas Jefferson dined alone.”  That was me.  I loved that quote.

Last summer, I drove over 100 hours throughout Europe in the span of 18 days, left only to my own thoughts and the same Taylor Swift CD, and I never got bored.  My own thoughts kept me company.  It was the opposite in Alaska with my best friend in the car and a lot less driving.  I spent the summer of 2013 alone.  The summer of 2014 would be different.  In the summer of 2013, the only time I spent with other people was at work and at the cigar store.  The summer of 2014 would be different.  On Tuesday, I was asked about my social life in high school, and I honestly answered that I had none.  The follow-up question was what I did on the weekends, and I honestly could not remember, and it saddened me that I, with my excellent memory, could not answer such a simple question.

I suppose that I spent the weekends playing video games, watching TV, doing homework, dreading Monday.  This August, I never once dreaded Monday.  This August, Monday was the day when I went to Bryant Park.  This August, Monday was the best day of the week.  In elementary school, I was always the class clown.  I loved attention, any attention, positive or negative, that I could get.  I had a minimal social life, which dwindled even more in middle school.  I had a best friend in middle school, someone who was my intellectual equal, us both taking math classes two years beyond our grade, of course being the two top students in those classes.  I used to ask myself why I would ever need any other kind of companionship beyond my own beautiful mind.  I convinced myself that I was the only friend I ever needed.

That changed when I got to college.  I had a social life.  Alcohol, women, and friends were readily available.  My dorm room became the place to be.  I hosted parties on a regular basis. Of course I got distracted.  I got stressed.  It was an overload.  I couldn’t take it.  When I saw my best friend from middle school on the train about a year ago, it turned out that we both dropped out of college after a couple of years.  With him, it was the opposite, he couldn’t fit in.  He wanted the life that I had been living in college.  The funny thing is, if our social lives in college had been reversed, we both probably would have finished.  That doesn’t matter.  What matters is that we were both happy with where we were in our lives when we met on the train, and I am even happier now.  We promised to stay in touch.  We didn’t.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have started to realize that I care about my two newest co-workers.  One of them may be reading this, so I will have to be careful how I choose my words.  The first one, our newest inspector, reminds me of myself in many ways, and I actually care about him.  I want him to do well, and I like him a lot.  I have spent extra time teaching him the ropes, making sure that I do everything I can so that he succeeds.  I don’t do that just because it’s part of my job.  I do it because I care about him.  The other one I don’t know why I care about her.  I just know that when I saw that she was visibly upset earlier in the week, I was upset by that.  I have been working on a theory of implied emotional attraction, and it might have something to do with that.  If someone reminds you, in any way, of someone who once mattered to you and who is no longer in your life, you feel similarly about that new person as you did for the other person.  I certainly don’t feel anything for her, just a desire that she be happy.  Maybe it’s just she’s just such a bubbly person that I would hate for such happiness to be diminished.  Happiness is contagious.  I love being around happy people.  It makes me happy.  It should come as no surprise, then, that the person I now want to be around more than anyone else in the world is one of the happiest people I know.  On that note, I will close into I get to my hotel tonight.


Colorado Springs, Colorado

To continue on this theme of loneliness, I was actually not always going to take this trip alone.  One of the guys at the cigar store, someone who has come to call me his cousin, was living out in Colorado, and he said that he would join me once I arrived in Denver for the trip.  I didn’t think much of it.  I gave him the dates, and, if he wanted to meet up when I arrived, that was fine.  As long as I saw my three National Parks, I was flexible.  When I saw him at the cigar shop on Monday, I think, I reminded him that I was going to go to Colorado this weekend.  It turned out his business went under and that he was now living back in New York.  By the end of my cigar, he said that he was going to fly out with me for the weekend.  Again, as long as we kept to my schedule, it was fine with me.  Anyway, I he was at the shop today, and he kept apologizing how he needed to go to this company retreat for the weekend, and I kept telling him that I wasn’t upset that he bailed.

About 7 years ago, the cigar store used to have what was called the Aurora Treasure Pack, five Aurora cigars in metal tubos, all named after different gems or precious metals: platinum, gold, ruby, sapphire, and emerald.  I had always wanted to buy it, but it was not quite worth it at the price point.  I loved the idea of collecting the whole set even more than the idea of smoking the cigars.  Recently, I placed a large order of cigars online, and I saw they had the Treasure Pack at about half of the price, so I bought it.  Figuring it was 5 cigars, I knew that I would need to smoke one each day after work on one week Monday through Friday.  This week was the week I finally got around to doing it.  Today was the last cigar in the pack, the emerald, and it had my favorite wrapper, the Ecuador wrapper.  I knew that it would be a good day.

After my cigar, there was a taxi waiting right outside, so I hopped in.  He asked if I was paying cash or charge, giving me an approximate price, saying that it did not include tolls.  I knew that the fare to LaGuardia was usually much lower than that, but I’d be paying cash either way.  The driver was very friendly and amiable.  About halfway there, I realized that he hadn’t turned the meter.  This was no mistake.  He was trying to screw me.  I knew that, when we got to LGA, he would quote the inflated price he had provided and then ask for the toll and tip on top of that.  I could have screwed him over at that.  I could have pointed out that the meter was not on, and he would have had to turn it on then and accept just the fare from that point.  I instead calculated exactly how much the fare should have been, along with tip and toll, and it came out to be slightly less than the original amount he had quoted, but I didn’t have the banknotes to hand him exact change, so I decided I would hand him the two banknotes that would equal the amount he quoted.  If he asked for the tip and the toll, I’d threaten to call the TLC.

That was exactly what happened, and I said, “You know it’s [the amount] with tip and toll.  Do I need to call the TLC and tell them you didn’t use the meter?”  He said that it was okay in a way that made it seem like I was cheating him.  By the time I got to my gate, they were almost boarding my zone, so I didn’t really have time to do anything.  I read the in-flight magazine and then fell asleep, waking up as the beverage service began.  I just wanted a refill of my water bottle to wash down my Quest Bar.  I proceeded to write the preceding entry and then fell back asleep, waking up as we reached Denver.  As I headed to the car, I joined Instagram.  It gave me an option to add all of my Facebook friends who were also on Instagram, but I was selective, only choose the people whose pictures I’d actually want to see in my feed.  I got my car, I headed to Buckhorn’s Exchange, one of the oldest restaurants in Colorado and the best place to get Rocky Mountain Oysters.  In case my reader does not know what Rocky Mountain Oysters are, they deep fried cow testicles.  No, that is not a metaphor.  That is exactly what they are.  For my main course, I ordered a buffalo prime rib and elk medallion combination dish.  It was small and overpriced, but it was filling.  Since I was in Colorado, I knew that I need to have a Coors, which I had with my appetizer.  I saw that they had a Colorado whiskey, but I didn’t trust myself to drive an hour with two drinks.  I ordered it anyway to go with the game meat, figuring I wouldn’t finish it.  I think I had less than half of it.

When I stepped outside after my meal and grabbed my Davidoff Nic Toro, which has become my de facto first official cigar of any driving trip, I realized how happy I was.  I was happy about all the good things that are going on in my life.  I was happy about the great trip that I know this will be.  I was happy about the cigar.  I was just fundamentally happy.  During the drive, I ran into some bad traffic due to a brutal three-car collision, and I also received an email from the hotel asking me to confirm my smoking preference.  It turned out that they only had smoking rooms with two beds.  That was fine.  I even get a free breakfast voucher for being so cooperative.  When I got to my room, I settled in and then had to make the hardest decision of the day.  Would I have a pipe or a cigar before bed?  I opted for the pipe, so I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it and get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment