Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Colorado NP - Day 1 - Elevation

8/30/14

Montrose, Colorado

When I planned this trip, there was one thing for which I did not account, something I did not even think to consider because imagined it might a problem: the elevation.  It is kicking my ass.  I love mountains, but I usually view them from the base.  It is a very different experience for me to be travelling continuously at such a high elevation.  When I woke up this morning, well ahead of schedule, I knew that I could take my time.  I was rewarded by a mamash view of the mountains from the front door of the hotel.  I also realized why the hotel was so crowded.  As my reader may be aware, the USAF Academy is in Colorado Springs, and this was homecoming weekend.  Every table I saw at breakfast had someone in uniform or wearing a USAF shirt.  My breakfast, of course, consisted of a Denver omelet, even though I was an hour south of Denver.


Whenever I travel west, I always debate when I should upload my photos.  Does Facebook’s algorithm make sure my photos are visible to the people who’d want to see them, no matter when I post them?  Or does it make more sense to post them first thing in the morning?  When I travel east, there is no question, since I’d be posting the middle of the afternoon New York time.  I have been saving my blog posts promotions until the morning recently because I want to make sure they are visible, but Facebook seems to promote photos at a higher level than text-based posts.  I’m probably just overthinking this.  I’ve posted photos in the middle of the night New York time only for them to get multiple Likes when I wake up in the morning. Let’s see how it plays out with this album.

Anyway, after breakfast, I headed to the Olympic Training Center, and I knew it instantly to be mecca.  There was a gift bag waiting for me at the front desk, and the tour started shortly after that.  We saw training facilities for various sports spread out over a beautiful campus.  The guide asked some trivia questions along the way.  There were four questions.  I got two of them, while another guy got the other two.  I didn’t think that anyone there would have been able to match me on Olympic trivia.  After the tour, I got some stuff from the gift shop and headed to Florissant Fossil Beds NM, the NPS unit that would allow me to say I had been to half of all the NPS units.  I lit up a My Father cigar, finishing it as I hiked along the brief trail.  It was about a mile, and I was winded by the time I got to the end.

Alright, I’m very exhausted from the drive and the elevation, so I’m going to try and wrap this up as quickly as possible.  I got back in the car, exhausted from both the heat and the elevation, closed the windows, put the AC on max, and headed to the State Fair.  Other than some vendors selling cowboy wear, there was absolutely nothing to suggest that this was the Colorado State Fair, not even a place where I could buy my flag pin, but it didn’t matter.  They had lots and lots of fried food.  The pigs were missing, though.  I started with a corn dog and then lit up an Avo.  That was the great thing about this fair.  There were no outdoor smoking restrictions, not even so much as a dirty look when I was smoking my cigar while ordering a fried cheese stick from one of the vendors.  I was going to call it quits after that, but I saw deep fried cookie dough.  I had to try it.  Then, figuring I was in for a penny, in for a pound, I got some ice cream, probably blowing my carbs for the week.  I was so full and spent when I got to the car, I wasn’t even in the mood for another cigar, though I wound up lighting up a God of Fire a bit into the drive.

Have I mentioned how glad I was to be in shorts rather than a suit today?  Well, it would have been impossible to do the sand dunes in a suit.  When I got to the VC, I figured out the best way to officially see both the National Park and National Preserve.  The first stop was the great sand dune itself.  It was way too crowded and open to even consider an official U, but I knew that I could take one on the hiking trail that led to the NPres.  The dunes were breathtaking.  I had never seen anything quite like it before, and I lit up my Montecristo to make it official.  The wind cut the life of the cigar in half, but that was all the time I needed.  Once you have that mamash moment, there is not much pointing for staying for longer than 10-20 minutes, unless you’re hiking, and I was not able to do any more hiking than I did, even overexerting my lungs in the high altitude.  When I got back, I headed across the way to the other parking lot for the trail that led to the NPres.  The ranger had thought it might be an hour to the border.  It was less than five minutes.

As soon as I got on the trail, I realized that I had left my cigars in the car, so I had to head back.  I lit up an Olivia as soon as I got to the NPres and did a little hiking, getting a little lost, but I didn’t care.  I was well ahead of schedule.  I got back in the car and stopped for gas when I was ready to ditch the cigar.  I then made the unforgivable mistake of stopping for dinner before it got dark.  Instead of driving an hour in the light and hour and half in the light, the entire, brutal two and a half hour drive would be in the dark.  All I wanted was Coors and a steak, and that as exactly what I got.  It was mamash.  I just officially added mamash to my MSWord dictionary.  Alright, my pipe is almost done, so I will really need to wrap up.  I picked up a Coors Light for tonight another Coors for tomorrow night, lit up a Perdomo, and then put on my Frozen soundtrack.  If thought that I couldn’t be any happier than I was, I would have wrong.  Singing along to the songs I loved, I was in heaven, until I started to feel nauseated.  It made the difficult drive even more brutal.  At first I thought it might have been the steak, then I blamed the fried food.  Now I’m thinking that it is the elevation.  When I got to the hotel, I was out of breath by the time I got to the front desk.  I headed to my room, a non-smoking room, put out the towels, lit up my Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get some sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment