Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Oregon - Day 0 - "The Past 12 Days"

8/22/14
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York

In many ways, the 12 days since I closed have been two of the best weeks in my life, but they have also been difficult in many ways.  I have done something other than sit in my apartment surfing the internet every night since then, I believe.  Some adventures have been more rewarding than others, but, whether it was a movie in Bryant Park with a very dear friend or catching up with a drinking buddy who is on the opposite end of the spectrum as I in every single way possible or spending the night working from home, I have enjoyed each evening.  Even my weekend was busy doing something other than travelling or relaxing at my parent’s place.  I get tremendous pleasure out being productive, out of making the best use of my time.  The past 12 days have been very productive.  All work is an act of philosophy.  I get no greater pleasure than using my reasoning my end to create wealth.  Well, that’s not true.  Executing a successful trip or spending time with a woman I love would rank higher.  With my boss out this week, I had to fill in for him in many ways.  I worked at least a 50-hour week, including attending a very important meeting with our biggest client.  I acquitted myself well in all regards, and I felt great about it.  I will close for now, since first class is now boarding.

Correction, the flight to San Juan was now boarding.  I might not have minded spending the weekend in Puerto Rico, but I didn’t have my WHS stuff with me, so it would have been kind of pointless.  I will treat Day 0 En route, so I can continue to explore Days -11 through Day -1.  This is not a diary, so it would be beyond the scope to give a detailed description of each Day, but I will give an overview.  I have not left the five boroughs since I got back from Canada, though I did venture to Brooklyn and Queens each one time.  The trip to Brooklyn was for an inspection.  The trip to Queens was to see a Mets game.  I didn’t care about the game.  It was because I was invited.  After my brother and my best friend, there is no one else in the world I enjoy hanging out with more than her, even in a platonic way, especially in a platonic way.  She had invited me to a series of events over the past few weeks, and I accepted each time.  It didn’t matter what the event was, only that she would be there and that there would be alcohol.  To me, the word “hanging out” inevitably involves alcohol.  It just makes everything more fun.

She is the kind of person that gets me, and I feel that I can be myself with her.  That is more important than anything.  It is why I enjoy hanging out with her.  I don’t have to put on an act with her.  I don’t have to pretend to be someone I’m not.  More than anything, I don’t have to hide the “crazy” side of me.  In the two years I’ve known her, I’ve never hidden anything from her.  I am comfortable around her, and that is very important, as well.  About 6 years ago, I was dating a girl, though I suppose I never really thought we were dating, and she met me at the office one evening.  We got a kick out of each other, and my father always likes to remind me about that, how comfortable we seemed laughing with each other.  This coming from the man who was once beholden to a philosophy that preached love as “mutual respect and shared values.”  Maybe love is only about “mutual respect and shared values.”  Maybe love is about interaction of “style.”  Maybe love is about wanting to hold someone in your arms and never let go.  I have spent enough time and effort philosophizing about love, but love is not happiness.  Love is love.  Happiness is happiness.  Happiness is the Final Cause.  Love is merely an Efficient Cause on that path.

If you are happy when you are around someone, happy to your fundamental core, is it not the epitome of irrationality to try to explore the reasons in any philosophical manner, just as it is wholly irrational to try and force yourself to be happy with someone because you think that you should love her from a philosophical standpoint?  Is it not wholly irrational to want to be with someone because she knows how to solve a quadratic equation rather than because you can’t stop smiling when you’re in her presence?  My father has been trying to get me to understand that for over a year now.  On Sunday, I realized that he may have been right.  He usually is.


Aboard DL 2619, En route JFK-PDX

As I travel towards my brother and the love of his life at 600 miles per hour, I am forced to think about their relationship.  In a word, they are perfect for each other, mamash perfect.  From the day I first met her, I knew they were going to get married, long before they did, probably even before they even thought about it.  While I wear many hats, both at work and in my personal life, I am, first and foremost, a chess player.  It is impossible to truly see the future, but is possible to be a good enough chess player to see what the consequences of various actions are and to see how things will play out ten moves down the line.  I am good at that, mamash good.  Yes, that word has officially entered my vocabulary, and it will stay there as long as the person who taught me that word remains in my life, which I hope to be for a mamash long time.

The thing about my brother and his fiancée is that they are both crazy, but they are crazy in a complementary.  Neither of them are capable of making any kind of decision in any kind of time frame, but they support each other in their indecisiveness, willing to explore every single angle of every decision that they may want to make.  It is impossible to travel with them, not the way I travel.  I suppose that a beach vacation would be doable with them, or a hiking trip, but any trip where you travel from place to place is next to impossible.  With Stuart, it’s similar, but I can get him to agree to do whatever I want, as long as he gets to do his few things.  It’s choosing the restaurants and cars and hotels and flights that are impossible with him.  I can get Stuart to keep to a schedule, but trying to get my brother and his fiancée to do is impossible.  Even when I plan 2-3 extra hours into the day for them, it inevitably goes wrong.  I plan things on a very tight schedule, allowing no leeway, when I travel alone, but I usually know that I need an hour buffer at the end of the day.  Sometimes I need that hour, sometimes I don’t and can use it for lunch or extra activity time.  Unless something goes seriously wrong out of my control (CBSA, traffic, etc.), that hour is always enough time.  With them, the pace is planned slower to begin with, and the extra 2-3 hours on top of it never seems to be enough.

Why do I bring all of this up?  It’s not because I am saying that they are bad people or anything.  It is simply something that bothers the hell out of me, but that doesn’t matter.  I don’t have to live them.  They have to live with each other, and it works for them.  That’s what matters.  I have gotten off track.  My battery is about to die, so I only have 10 minutes to try and recount Day 0.  I spent most of yesterday at a very important business meeting, the kind that I knew was vital to the future of my career to attend, so I made sure that I would be there.  I was.  This summer, I was watching “The Network,” and there was a line where Robert Duvall said something to the effect of “Let’s meet back here at 10 PM.  Is that convenient for everyone?” and walked away without waiting for a response.  That is the kind of project on which I would love to work.  The only time I would ever have to work around the clock is because either a) I am overwhelmed by the amount of work or b) I put something off to the last minute.  We don’t have crises like that in our job.

Our client had to work around the clock on this project, but we didn’t.  I had to be in at 7:30 AM to help finalize our report from the walkthrough yesterday, but, when all was said and done, from 7:30 AM yesterday to 10 AM today, I only put in 8 hours on that project.  My battery is almost dead, so I will close up.  After I sent out the final report to the client, an hour before the deadline, I had to run out to do another inspection, so I stopped at Papaya Dog along the way, which was en route.  They said that they weren’t open yet, but I convinced them to sell me a couple of hot dogs.  They really do have the best hot dogs in the city, even if they are small.  After the inspection, I had my pre-departure lunch at Hop Won: boneless spare ribs and sweet and sour chicken.  I then stopped at the cigar store for my last lunchtime cigar, a Montecristo, since my coworker who complains when I smoke during lunch will be back in the office on Monday.

I left work at 5 PM, and Jimmy gave me a Quesada Oktoberfest, which felt awkward smoking in August.  My pickup was supposed to be at 6:15 PM, so I spent the time at the shop talking about the single most appropriate thing for guys to discuss while smoking cigars.  There were like 10 customers there, and at least 3 conversations going on, so it was easy to walk around getting involved in different conversations and asking advice from all of my friends.  There are so many people with so many different views on life and love that you can get almost any possible answer you want to any question you might ask.  I took all the advice in stride, mediated by my own judgment.  At 6:15 PM, the car was not there.  I called at 6:25 PM.  When they asked for my confirmation number, I said that I didn’t get a confirmation email.  I heard someone say in shop, “You didn’t think that would be apro



I guess that I should have checked between the seat for an outlet BEFORE I let the battery die.  Anyway, the guy standing behind me in the shop said in reference to me not getting the confirmation email, “You didn’t think that that would be a problem?”  Fortunately, there was a taxi right outside the shop, so I said some quick goodbyes and grabbed the taxi.  When I got to the airport, I printed my boarding pass (1A) and went in line at security.  I had plenty of time, but that didn’t stop me from exercising all of my proper efficiency practices.  The TSA officer seemed to be a rookie, or maybe she thought I was a rookie.  The conversation went something like this: “Do you have a laptop in that bag?”  “I had a laptop in the bag, now it’s in the tray.”  “Everything out of your pockets?”  “Pockets are in there (pointing to my jacket in the tray).”  “Papers in your hand?”  That was too much.  Clearly she should have seen me holding the papers in my hands.

Anyway, I headed to the gate, took an unofficial U, and sat down to write the first entry.  I almost got on the flight to San Juan, continued with the second part of the first entry, and then got on the flight.  I love sitting in seat 1A.  It’s the window seat, so no one bothers you.  There is enough legroom, so you can get out without bothering the person in 1B.  It has the bulkhead, so you can get your feet up.  It’s on the left side, which I prefer.  It’s really just the best seat on the plane, not to mention all the whiskey you can drink.  This is my fourth whiskey, so I’m surprised I’m not mamash toasted at this point.  It usually only takes me three to get mamash toasted.  I suppose I will no longer be using the phrase UAR.  Does MT work?  Dinner was a chicken, bacon, and cheese sandwich, along with chips, fruit, and a cookie, not Atkins friendly.  I ate the inside of the sandwich, a few chips, some fruit, and half of the cookie.  After dinner, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish, take an unofficial U, and get some sleep before I land in Portland.

No comments:

Post a Comment