Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Colorado NP - Day 2 - Mamash

8/31/14

Boulder, Colorado


After two days of hiking Colorado’s National Parks in my favorite pair of cut-up shorts, two of my favorite t-shirts, and my trusty pair of flip flops, I will be closing the trip tomorrow by spending the day hiking Colorado’s biggest National Park in the proper attire: my suit.  I could not have done these past two days of hiking in my suit, and it was fun to hike in civilian clothes, even if my feet now look like they Frodo’s after he climbed Mount Doom.  Yesterday, I wrote about how that mamash moment tends to fade after a few minutes, but I was proved wrong today.  I spent the better part of the day at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, and the feeling of mamash lasted straight through from my arrival at 8 AM until my departure at 2 PM.  I really hate ranking the National Parks.  Actually, I won’t.  I’m just going to say that it was an absolutely amazing park.

My first mamash moment was when I officially entered the park, and there an overlook right at the entrance.  There is no point trying to describe it, nor can this picture even come close to showing the grandeur of it.  I headed straight to the VC, not wanting to take any selfies until I had gotten my brochure stamped.  There were two trails leading from the VC, one along the rim that led to the campground.  The other trail went 400 feet down into the canyon, but I did not trust myself to be able to climb back up 400 feet of vertical elevation.  I was starting to get better acclimated to the elevation, but I didn’t want to take any chances.  I grabbed my Romeo y Julieta and started to walk to the rim trail, but I saw a sign that pointed in the opposite direction to Gunnison Point overlook.  I figured it was worth a look, even if I didn’t go the full 400 feet down.  The view was so mamash that I wound up spending the entire cigar walking around that area.

I kept climbing down, going off the trail, feeling like a Hobbit climbing in Mordor.  It was out of view and the perfect spot for an official U, and what a view.  It was not easy climbing back up.  I also knew with absolute certainty that all of the hiking I would be doing today would eff up my foot.  I just didn’t care, and, surprisingly, my foot feels fine.  I then drove in a little more to a hiking trail at the end of the road.  When I got there, I lit up a Cuesta Rey, and I hiked until the elevation, now over 8000 feet, got the better of me, and I had to turn around.  I was an hour behind schedule, but I didn’t care.  The only limiting reactant was getting to the VC at Colorado NM by 6 PM.  My schedule had my arriving at 3:15 PM, so there was quite a buffer.  It was a 2.5 hour drive to the North Rim Ranger Station from the South Rim VC, and I was pretty much going just to get a stamp.  Yes, there would be scenic vistas at the North Rim, but I didn’t imagine it would be much different from the South Rim.  I stopped for lunch along the way, and the restaurant had an outdoor smoking patio, so I had a steak, a Coors, and a Diamond Crown, the perfect lunch.

When I got to the Ranger Station, my heart sank.  It was “temporarily closed” since the ranger was down in the inner canyon.  I didn’t know if he would be back in 5 minutes or 5 hours, and there was no way to find out.  I figured that I would spend as much time there as I could and check again before I left.  Maybe I’d get lucky.  The worst part was, I could see the stamp through the window.  I even tried all the windows and doors, hoping to find a way to sneak in to get the stamp.  I’m sure that it could have wound up with me doing ten years in federal prison for criminal trespassing, but I needed that stamp.  No dice.  No way to get in.  I parked at a hiking trail by the campground, and I grabbed a Quest bar from my bag.  I was a little over halfway done when I dropped it.  I immediately picked it up, counting on the five-second rule.  Apparently, that does not exactly apply when you drop sticky food on a dirt road.  Big mistake.  I lit up my Centurion and walked the short trail.  More mamash.  I checked the ranger station again.  No dice.  I then headed down the other road, which had five scenic vistas, planning to stop at each one for about five minutes, which would mean I was only 30 minutes behind schedule for my arrival at Colorado NM.  Each vista was amazing.  At one of the spots, a cowboy started to chat me up.  I really had no desire to chat with him, but I didn’t want to be rude, either.  At the next spot, I head him debating whether the canyon was caused by rivers or an earthquake of if “that was just the way god built it.”

On the way back, I found a great spot to do more climbing.  There was a series of ledges, so I could do my Hobbit in Mordor impression again, and it was secluded.  On my way back up, I felt something sharp on my foot.  I had stepped into a cactus.  Who the fuck knew they had cacti in Colorado?  I also had no idea what to do.  I did the wrong thing.  I tried to remove it with my hand.  There were still barbs in my foot, and now I had barbs in my hand.  I got the damn thing off and removed as many barbs as I could.  Do these things dissolve in your body or do they live there forever?  I was also concerned about infection, so I got an alcohol wipe from my first aid kit and cleaned my hand and foot the best I could.  It still hurts, but I think I got most of them out.  I drove back, checking the ranger station one more time.  No dice.  My next and last stop of the day, NPS unit 205, would be Colorado NM, which seemed to be much bigger than I anticipated, so I stopped for Chinese along the way.  I was so exhausted that I had no desire for a cigar during the 2-hour drive.  After my dinner (at 3 PM), I lit up an AFR and drove to the monument.

It was massive, and the only way to see it was a 23-mile drive from one end to the other.  I didn’t really have my mamash moment until I got to the last vista before the VC, the Grand View.  It was good that I went in the direction, since I saved the best vista for last.  At first, I didn’t think it was that impressive, having seen similar and better sites in Utah and Arizona during the best domestic trip I have ever taken, but I was impressed at that last vista.  I took care of my business at the VC, stopped for gas, and the embarked on a grueling, non-stop 4-hour drive, possibly the most difficult drive I have ever taken in the mainland US.  There was so much construction, and the signs were unclear, and I almost got lost once, taking a left-side exit instead of bearing to the right for the highway.  This drive was all on I-70, and I did not know that interstates could be so winding.  At one point, I reached an elevation of 10,000 feet.

I most apologize to my readers who were expecting more philosophy, but I have been unable to come up with any new philosophy since my Day 0 entry, which was called my best entry ever written, instead simply thinking about the points I raised in that entry and becoming more and more convinced of their truth.  As I passed by Beaver Creek, I had a warm feeling, remembering that trip my family took to going skiing there half a lifetime ago.  I then saw some condominiums, remembering with a laugh how I had asked my father if those were “condoms.”  Maybe those were the same “condoms.”  It is so funny how you can remember something like that from when you were 8-years old.  Finally, I got to the hotel, or at least where the GPS said the hotel was.  There was no hotel there.  I made a right turning trusting my gut, and then I saw the hotel, but there was no access from that road.  I wound having to circle around, taking 6 minutes, and then drive through a shopping mall to get to the hotel.  When I got to the room, I took what Bella would call, “five human minutes” to get situated before I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can prepare for my last hurrah.

No comments:

Post a Comment