Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Antarctica - Day 9 - Back up the Drake

1/4/15
At sea, M/V Corinthian, Drake Passage, En route to Ushuaia

It has been just over 12 hours since I went to sleep, and I have almost nothing to report.  Other than the cloud coverage, the view is engaged from this morning, and we are just about, I guess, 100 or so miles closer to Ushuaia.  As I was getting to publish my entry last night, I saw that Margaret had Liked one of my posts, though it was like 2 AM in New York.  We wound up chatting for almost an hour, and she asked the story of how Aliyah and I got together.  I gave her the story of how I developed my feelings from her from January to August of 2014.  I then published my entry and passed out.

I woke up towards the end of breakfast, grabbed two plates to bring to my cabin, and went back to sleep.  I woke up again halfway into lunch, so I left the breakfast untouched.  I showered and headed down to lunch, finding an empty chair next to Sam and her parents.  After lunch, I think I went right back to sleep.  No, I found Sam in the lounge, and sat with her in a comfortable silence until I was ready to pass out and went back to my cabin.  I woke up again for dinner.  Wait, no.  I haven’t eaten dinner yet.  I woke up starving and went to the lounge, where John Frick was reciting the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.  Afterwards, I went up to the club, where I found Sam passed out asleep.  I retrieved my breakfast and ate the bacon, which, along with some coffee, would keep me satiated until dinner.  All my other friends were either passed out or in a zombie-like state.  No fun.

I went back to the lounge where I found L--- with her grandmother.  Last night, I had asked her if she thought I could call her grandmother “grandma.”  L--- didn’t think it would be the smartest idea, but she encouraged me to go for it.  When I got to the lounge, L--- and I exchanged pleasant greetings, and I told her that I had slept all day, hoping she would tease me in the way I so love, the way that so reminds me of the way my girlfriend does.  I did not quite get the reaction I wanted from her, but her grandmother did not disappoint, asking me if intended to wear my pajamas, which I was still wearing, to dinner.  I said that I was considering it, and she told me not to.  “Okay, whatever you say, grandma.”  “Thank you.”  Hmm, interesting.  I went back to my cabin, put my sweats on over my pajamas, and grabbed a cigar.  As I headed back to the smoking deck, “Grandma” said, “Much better.”  I went outside, where I lit up my Cohiba, messaged back and forth with Sokol, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close.


After a week on the boat with the same people, you start to learn at whose table to sit if you want good material from dinner.  L--- and her grandmother are always sure to provide me with material, as are Vanessa and her parents.  I have written enough how L--- reminds me of my girlfriend, but Vanessa is like the big sister I always wanted, and I could certainly imagine being Phil and Wanda’s son.  He is never one to disappoint when I need a laugh, and I definitely needed a laugh this evening.  After I closed, I went to the briefing, and I dropped my stuff off at my cabin afterwards before heading down to dinner.  I saw an empty seat next to L--- and asked if I could join her.  The table was already fully booked, and there weren’t any other familiar faces in the cafeteria, so I prepared to head back up, but I saw Vanessa’s parents walking down the stairs.

Perfect.  I have yet to have a meal with Vanessa and her parents that was anything less than memorable.  Alright, to be fair, it’s more like I see Vanessa as a favorite cousin for the trip.  I feel exactly the same way towards her as I feel about my cousin Tali.  As for her parents, I like them better than I like most of my aunts and uncles, and I look at them, at least for the duration of the trip, as I would a favorite aunt and uncle.  I posted to Facebook the best quotes of the dinner, but I will summarize them.  Phil asked me if I was almost done with my book, and I said that it couldn’t be done until I got back to New York.  We all agreed that, with this interesting bunch of passengers, I was sure to get some good material.  Someone else at the table seemed hesitant that I was writing a book about the passengers, and Vanessa warned him to be on his best behavior.  I think it’s gotten to the point where Phil feels the need to always bring his A-game to make sure I have good material, and he has not been one to disappoint.

We were talking about how all of the crew has to double up in their roles, and this when I got the two best laughs of the evening.  Phil, always quick on his feet, said that he would have to thank the captain for cooking the meal.  I could not stop laughing.  We then tried to figure out if the doctor doubled up in anything.  Phil joked that he was working the gift shop, while Vanessa quipped that he was the one who cleaned our boots off when we got back to the ship.  I cracked up once more, and Phil asked if I was getting good material for my book.  I assured him that I was.  The portions, as always, were meager, so I ordered an extra portion of salmon.  Vanessa, however, only ate half of her turkey.  Phil took one piece of the turkey and gave the plate to me, which I gladly finished.

I can’t wait to get back to New York and have a big plate of Chinese food.  However, I do think that I will leave the chopsticks thing in 2014.  It has run its course, and me being me means that I no longer do silly things to amuse people.   We also discussed our favorite part of the trip.  Without a doubt, my favorite part was Orne Harbor, smoking my cigar and writing my entry on the continent.  There was some debate about the environmental effects.  I insisted that not smoking ashore was a ship rule, not a treaty rule.  As long I as brought the ash and butt back to the ship with me, I was not in violation.  The debate then turned to the effect of the smoke, and we all agreed it was inconsequential to the effects of the ship’s exhaust.

After dinner, Phil and Wanda went back to the cabin, and I told Vanessa I was going out for my cigar.  She said that she would meet me in the club later.  It’s funny, everyone on this ship knows my name, even the crew.  I can hardly walk down a corridor without a dozen people greeting me.  I know most people’s name, but the people I like the best and the people who like me the best are not an equivalent set.  It’s more like a Venn diagram.  As I was sitting out here, Katherine’s dad, John walked by and gave me a friendly wave.  He was teasing me mercilessly at dinner last night, and I asked Katherine if that meant he liked me.  She said she wasn’t sure and that was hard to get a good read on him.  From the wave he just gave me, the answer is obvious.

Anyway, I put on some layers, grabbed a Fume D’amour, along with my wine and smoking gear, and I headed outside, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, so that I can finish my cigar and find my friends. 


My father is always fond of telling that if I just act myself people will like me.  It is very sage advice, but it has been hard advice to follow, since, over the past two decades, my modus operandi has been to get people to like me by acting silly, by being the class clown, by not caring if people were laughing at me or with me.  Tonight, over the past two hours, I followed his advice, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.  After I closed, I headed up to the club, where I found all of my friends.  Vanessa was with Dom, and they both greeted me very pleasantly.  It is so funny to think how much has changed since we were all on the bus together a week ago, with Vanessa sitting next to me and Dom sitting in front of me.  Beth and Davy were playing Scrabble with Frances and Alan.  L--- was with Steve and Claudia and little William and his parents.  Andy and Molly were snuggling on the couch next to mine, and Sam and Danny were there, too.

All of my favorite people were up there, and I had no desire to socialize.  I just wanted to be my old self.  I just wanted to observe.  I just wanted to watch my favorite people be happy.  I was happy seeing them happy.  I put my tablet away and just watched.  I watched Vanessa and Dom, happy for them.  I watched Davy and Beth tease each other while they played Scrabble.  I watched Sam and Danny, back to being best friends.  I watched Steve and Claudia chat with little William’s parents.  However, what I liked watching best was L--- playing with little William.  As they ran around the club and down the corridor, I had a flashback to Thanksgiving.  Once again, L--- reminded me of my girlfriend, and I could remember my girlfriend play with her cousin in the exact same way.

I was very content watching all of these scenes.  I walked over to the Scrabble board, as the game dwindled down, intending to join in for the next round, knowing that no one at that table could hope to beat me.  Frances and Alan put their tiles back in the bag and bowed out, so I kibitzed with Davy as he and Beth finished the game.  Neither of them were up for another round, but we agreed to play tomorrow.  Vanessa and Dom had gone off to, well, do whatever.  Sammy and Danny had also gone to bed.  Steve and Claudia went to bed once we walked over to them, and little William’s parents had taken him to bed.  That just left me with possibly my three favorite people on the boat.  Oh, no, there was one other person there, someone whom I didn’t know, though he always greets me by name.  Wayan was also there, and I had given him one of my last two banknotes as a tip, wanting to make sure I gave him a special tip.  It was small by my standards, but it was a lot to him, and he really appreciated it.  He deserved it.

L--- kept asking Davy to tell him his life story.  He turned her down, and I asked her why she didn’t want to hear my life story.  She said that she already knew my life story and proceeded to tell it just as well as I could have done, pinning me down to a tee.  If there was any doubt in my mind that I loved her, it was gone.  She talked about my checklist travel, about everywhere I lived, about how I live my life.  I told her that I couldn’t have done a better job, and she went to bed.  Davy went to take his sleeping pill, and the other passenger left.  That just left me and Beth.  Knowing I’d never see her again once we got off the boat, I opened up to her.  I was myself with her, and we had an amazing conversation.

I kept thinking back to what two years agpreviously considered the best conversation I had with a beautiful woman.  This was better.  The example, of course, was on the bus in Israel.  However, that was not a real conversation.  Two years ago, that was me laughing while a crazy and beautiful woman told me all of her crazy stories, talking to me because she loved the attention, as my now-girlfriend would later confirm, me pretending to be interested because I wanted to hook up with her.

No, two years later on the boat, it was different.  This was a real conversation.  This was not me trying to flirt.  This was me chatting with someone whom I genuinely liked.  The fact that she was beyond beautiful was almost irrelevant.  I opened up to her, and I was the true me.  She liked the true me better than the persona I had previously created.  I explained to her how I had planned to isolate myself and just read my philosophy books.  She agreed that she thought she’d have more time to do productive stuff.  I explained to her I am not a very social person.  She said that she never has any trouble socializing, but she didn’t think that that there would be so many people her age.  It was a really good conversation, not just me talking and her listening, but her asking questions because she was interested.

I reminded her of that first lunch we had together, how I ran off as soon as I was done eating.  She remembered.  I told her that that’s how I normally am.  After a while, she said that she was going to bed, and I weakly told her that it was nice chatting with her.  She agreed, and we said goodnight, just as Davy came back.  We then went down to the smoking deck, and I lit up a Santana while he smoked some cigarettes.  After he went to bed, I went to get my laptop, and I came back here, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as my cigar is almost done, so that I can go to bed at a decent hour and be prepared for whatever tomorrow offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment