Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, January 19, 2015

Belize - Day 3 - The Journey Home

1/19/15
Philip S. W. Goldson International Airport, Belize (BZE)

And so I find myself back where I started.  This should be the triumphant airport entry.  I did everything I set out to do, and I did it my way.  I should be celebrating and talking about how amazing the trip was.  I should be saying that, as much as I loved this country, I can’t wait to get home.  I will not be doing that.  There is nothing for me back at home that draws me back this time.  A messy apartment that needs to be aired out from Friday night’s smoking session, a trip to the T-Mobile store with my broken phone, what else?  If I could stay here, I would.  I’d work on my writing.  I’d find some work in the city.  I’d uproot my entire life and move here.  For the first time, I no longer have the sensation of wanting to go home.

Next weekend, I will be going skiing in New Hampshire, the Super Bowl is the following weekend, the weekend after that I may be going to the DR with my best friend.  When I was on the boat yesterday, they were talking about how cold it was in Florida.  I mentioned that my best friend lives in Orlando and had said the temperature was in the 30s.  No, my best friend lives in Riverdale, and he knows nothing of the day to day temperature in Florida.  The girl on whom I have had a huge crush for almost three years is not my best friend.  She is a very dear friend and the person with whom I exchange the most texts now, but she is not my best friend.

My best friend is the person with whom I exchanged 324 texts in one day for the sole purpose of us being able to say that we exchanged chai squared texts in one day.  My best friend is the person whom I texted 76 times last semester to tell him that I took an Official U on campus.  My best friend is the person who accompanied on an 18-day trip to Alaska and the PNW.  My best friend is not the gorgeous girl who gives me my movie recommendations and texts me funny news articles.  My best friend is not the person who makes my face light up every time I see her name pop up on my phone and go rushing to respond.  My best friend is the person whose texts I feel that I can ignore if I’m not in the mood for a conversation.  I feel that because we have a close enough relationship that, if we do not respond to each other’s texts for a few hours, or even a day or so, the fact that we’re on the outs would pretty much be the last thought on our minds.

You can only have one best friend, and I hate when people, girls in particular, talk about their best friend and then their other best friend.  Pick one.  They can’t both be your best friend.  You can have two best friends, but they are both “one of your best friends,” not your best friend.  When I spoke on the ship about my “new best friend,” I simply meant that he would be my best friend until I returned home, at which point he would just be a good friend.  I believe in the well-ordering principle, and I believe it can be applied to every aspect of life.

I can say that, of any two people in the world, I love one more than the other.  That was how I came up with that list.  If I love person A more than person B, and I love person B more than person C, it necessarily follows that I love person A more than C.  The list constantly changes, but, every time I update it, it is 100% accurate at that moment.  I spoke about the irony of how that list has completely changed over the past 6-7 years.  Every single name on the original lists, excluding my family, has been replaced by new names.  The people on the list are the people in my life who make me happy, the people whom I’m happy to see happy.  It is that simple.

I have met those people in so many different ways, and my feelings about them are very different, but the one thing that is indisputable is that I love each and every person on that list.  If I uprooted my life and moved here, I would be leaving each and every one of them behind.  Of the people on that list, excluding the people I met on the boat, I saw most of them at some point in 2014, but I only see six of them more than once a month.  Could I really say that I the reason that I am getting on this airplane is so that I can continue to see six people?  No, I am getting on this airplane because I hate change, because I hate the unknown.  I don’t want to go home, but I am scared of the idea of uprooting my life.

As soon as I finish this cigar, I will head through security and return to my life.  I will start dating again, and I’ll find someone new, or I won’t.  I’ll fall in love again, or I won’t.  I’ll add a new name to that list, or I won’t.  I’ll get married, or I won’t.  I’ll go to the DR with my best friend, or I won’t.  After that weekend, I’ll finally do my New Mexico WHS trip, and then I’ll watch the Oscars and text back and forth with, well, I’m trying to avoid mentioning names in my blog posts, and we’ll cheer every time one of our favorite movies wins an award.  I’ll work on my novel and on completing my travel goals.  All of that begins with finishing this cigar and getting on that airplane.  I am tired.  I am exhausted.  I am ready to go home.


George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Texas (IAH)


Well, I survived #Belize #TheExperience.  I have nothing else profound or deep to say, just an ordinary tale of #TheJourneyHome.  After I closed last night, I was too tired to publish, so I waited for the morning.  Breakfast was a meager affair, consisting of scrambled eggs, banana bread, coffee, toast, and turkey sausage.  Needless to say, I was hungry again at the airport a few hours later.

I got ready and waited for George to pick me up at the appointed time.  We stopped first at an ATM so that I would have enough cash to pay him.  Our second stop was the souvenir shop, where I got my Official flag pin, along with some other random crap.  We got in the car, and I paid him, along with a very generous tip, which he much appreciated.  I lit up the last pipe I had packed, my Ardor.  For once during a trip, I actually smoked all the pipes that I packed.  I think Alaska was the last time that I did that.  Well, I was more than three hours early when I got to the airport, so I checked in and went outside to smoke a Julius Caesar and write that morose entry.

I went through security, got some food, got on the plane, fell asleep, and woke up in Houston.  It felt like the shortest flight I had ever taken.  Going through customs was a breeze, and I didn’t think I had ever seen a quicker process.  Security took a little longer.  I then noticed something.  There was not a single black face in line for security.  There were at least 40 people waiting for security, and every face was white.  The TSA agents, though, half of them were black.  Anyway, after I cleared security, I was starving, so I took the train to my gate and stopped at Popeye’s.  My plan was to eat, smoke, and write, but to my shock IAH does not have a smoking lounge.  Seriously?  We’re in Texas.  Oh, well, I ate my food at that gate, where I proceeded to write this entry which I will now close, along with this trip, so that I can try to publish before we board.  Next stop: Lincoln, New Hampshire to go skiing at Loon Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment