Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

A Roman Holiday - Day 2 - Rome 1960

9/11/16, “Rome 1960”

Rome, Italy

We all remember what we were doing 15 years ago when we learned the news that would forever change our lives.  We will never forget that day, nor the lessons we learned.  It is not my intention to politicize that point or dwell on it more than is appropriate to show the proper respect to this day.  To that end, I will observe a moment of silence before continuing to pay proper homage to the lives we lost on that day.

Now to continue, I would like to draw back to this day in history 56 years ago, to Rome 1960.  On 9/11/60, in this very Stadium, the Games of the XVII Olympiad came to a close.  It was a Games that saw one of the most famous Olympic medalists of all time win Gold, a boxer by the name of Cassius Clay, who would later become known to the world as Muhammed Ali.  On 9/10/16, an Ethiopian marathoner would make history by becoming the first black African to win a Gold medal.  He would establish a long string of dominance in that event by the Ethiopians and Kenyans.  He won the race without wearing shoes.

Like the other 23 Stadiums I have visited, this Stadium is practically dripping with history.  I only have 3 more left in my quest.  In November, I will at last visit the London 2012 Stadium.  Then, in December, I will close out my quest in Australia by visiting the Melbourne 1956 and Sydney 2000 Stadiums.  My true obsession with the Olympics began during the Sydney Games, so it will be the perfect place to close out my quest.  I have so many great memories from the Games and many equally great memories from the times I have set foot inside the Stadiums, but I will definitely be glad to close out the quest in about 10 weeks.  I received a complaint about my cigar, so I will relocate to finish it while I continue to write.

It looks like more dark skies are coming, and I will probably leave the Stadium as soon as I finish this entry.  In fact, I hope to leave before the second half, as I am seriously worried about my water bottle, and, frankly, I don’t care about this match in the slightest.  After I closed last night, I had a devil of time falling asleep, tossing and turning until around 3 AM.  It was close to 10 AM when I finally woke up, too late for breakfast at the hotel and not having an appetite for it anyway.  I would be visiting the two World Heritage Sites in Tivoli before I came here, so I timed it as tight as I could to allow myself a proper visit to those two sites and still get to the Stadium by the time the match began at 3 PM.  Recalling a scene from “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”, I decided to do what Clint Eastwood did and had a Toscano cigar in the bathtub.

Yep, it’s raining now.  Definitely raining.  This is annoying.  I just want to get out of here now.  I am surrounded by diehard soccer fans, and I don’t even care about this match.  All I care about is taking my picture inside the Olympic Stadium and writing this entry.  I needed some espresso, but it was actually also starting to get to lunchtime.  However, in Rome, lunch doesn’t start until noon, and that was too late.  I needed to be on the way to Tivoli by noon.

Yep, that’s thunder.  I hope this match doesn’t get called off before I finish writing this entry.  I went to the place where I got my gelato last night and sat outside, still smoking my Toscano.  I saw lightning.  This match really might get called off.  I ordered an espresso, followed by a cappuccino.  I still had not had a proper meal since my dinner last night.  After my cigar and drinks, I got a taxi that could take me to Tivoli.  I didn’t want to worry about the train or bus.  He got confused and took me to Villa Adriana, though I had asked him to take me to Villa d’Este.

He had no idea where Villa d’Este was, but it turned out he needed to drop me off in the main square, then I could walk to Villa d’Este.  I would be visiting both famous, historic villas, but I wanted to save Hadrian’s for last.  I paid the admission for Ville d’Este and asked about the inscription photo.  Crap, now my computer is getting wet, too.  This is as bad as yesterday.  I need to relocate again.


Okay, so I seem to be sheltered but the view of the Stadium is not quite is good now.  Anyway, Ville d’Este proved to be a veritable maze, and I knew where the inscription photo was taken but not quite how to get there.  As I walked around, I admired the rooms of the villa, lots of priceless artwork on the walls and beautiful furnishings. 




I then figured out how to get to the inscription photo spot, but it was a huge expanse, and I would have to walk down (and later up) a lot of steps and ramps.  That did not look fun.  Crap, the rain keeps getting worse, and I am no longer sheltered at all.  I’m just going to wrap this up as quickly as possible.





I found the inscription spot and soon took my ceremonial pictures, after waiting for a family to finish taking their pictures.  I had lit up a Montecristo for the occasion, and it came with me as I left, stopping for souvenirs on the way out.  Okay, I can’t risk any damage to my computer.  I need to get out of here.





I have moved up too far too keep smoking, and it is now halftime, but I am finally fully sheltered from the rain.  Actually, they might have just suspended play during stoppage time.  I’m not sure.  Either way, I just want to wrap this up so that I can get back to my hotel.  Nope, no good.  I’m going to have to close for now.





Okay, the hailstorm, yes, it was hail, seems to have abated, but not before I left the Stadium.  I have now found myself besides the Olympic Equestrian venue outside the Stadium, which, like the Stadium and the surrounding streets, was completely flooded.  Even the sidewalks were in water up to my ankles.  I am relatively protected from the remaining drizzles here, but I will still need to be as quick as possible.

Alright, so I found a taxi that would take me to Adrian’s Villa and, in turn, Rome.  He quoted a fair enough price and said he would wait for me or, rather, pick me up when I was done.  He left me at Hadrian’s Villa, and I told him to meet me at 2:15 PM.  This was impressive.  It was an assortment of Egyptian, Greek, and Roman architecture, built in the 2nd Century by Hadrian, the same guy who built the Wall in Northern Britain.

I still had my Montecristo, so I lit that up and made my way to the spot of the inscription photo, taking my ceremonial picture there.  I immediately turned around and made my way back finding my driver waiting for me with a different vehicle.  I got my souvenir, and he took me straight to the Olympic Stadium.




I was so happy to see all the Olympic rings everywhere.  It hit me that I would only have three more to go (London 2012, Melbourne 1956, and Sydney 2000) after this.  That was when the drama began.  It was 2:45 PM, and the match did not begin until 3 PM, not that I cared about seeing the beginning of the match.  The ticket was just an entry ticket to the Stadium, as far I was concerned.  However, I had gone the south entrance, and I needed to go into the main entrance.  It was quite a process to circumnavigate the Stadium, but, eventually, I got there.

They searched me and pointed to my water bottle.  I had done my research.  The Stadium rules said no beverages in plastic bottles.  I took a sip and ceremonial picture and emptied my bottle.  No, they explained, I could not bring the bottle in the Stadium.  Wait, what?!?  They told me I needed to leave it in their security station, but that they could not watch it, though they assured me no one would touch it.  Crap.  Gone was my plan to watch the whole match.  I would just walk in, take my ceremonial picture, write my entry, and leave by halftime.  It seemed a simple plan.  No, of course not.  More drama ensued.

First, I got a beer and a hot dog, and then I headed inside to take my ceremonial picture with the beer in lieu of the water bottle.  So far, so good.  I sat down in spot with a great view of the field and noticed that people in front of me were smoking.  Beautiful.  I lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey and proceeded to write this entry.  As I conveyed in the beginning of this entry, I wound up having to write that entry from four different spots before I finally left.

First, the guy behind me said the cigar was too stinky, not that he was complaining about the cigarettes.  Then, I moved to the side, where I would not be disturbed and could even stay as people got up at halftime.  Then, the rain began, so I moved up a bit.  The rain got worse, so I moved further up, too far up to keep smoking  Then, my laptop got hit by a piece of hail, and play had stopped anyway, so I called it.  Everyone was getting out of the stands, and I waited by the exit, finishing my cigar, until the hail abated.

Once it was relatively good, I left, thankful for my ACG sandals, which were more than a match for the flooded streets and sidewalks.  I retrieved my water bottle, and the rain had almost stopped.  I then looped around to the main entrance, which was right by the equestrian venue, of course suspended by the rain.  I found a spot in view of the Olympic Stadium, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get back to the hotel and, hopefully, have time to walk around the Colosseum before dinner.



Well, all in all, today has been a rather stressful day.  I suppose there is some irony to that, especially given that intentionally underplanned this trip to make it less stressful, so that I wasn’t racing from place, so that I would actually have time to enjoy my time here.  I have the utmost faith that I could have included both Tuscany and Campania in this trip if I had wanted to.  Instead, I chose to opt for just Tuscany, which gave me an extra day in Rome.  That is why it is so ironic that these past two days have become so stressful, but, if I was racing to place to place, it could have been a lot more stressful.  As it was, I had time to do everything I wanted to do, and I felt that I spent sufficient time at every place.

After I closed, the rain had finally stopped, and I made my way to the plaza where I was told I could find taxis.  Eventually, I found one.  He took me back to my hotel, and I dropped off my bag, being told yesterday that bags were not allowed inside the Colosseum.  I also knew that water was not allowed in but that water bottles were, though I had thought the same about the Olympic Stadium.  I only had a few sips of water left, anyway, just enough to take a couple of ceremonial pictures.

The sign at the entrance clearly said that no liquids were allowed inside, only empty water bottles.  However, there was nothing to be said about bags.  It also clearly said no smoking.  Ideally, I would have, at some point, written an entry inside the Colosseum while I smoked a cigar, but the ban on bags and smoking would have precluded that.  My ticket from yesterday was still good, and I made my way through the stairs to the viewing area.  There was a bookshop that sold replicas of the Colosseum, the exact same replicas sold by the street vendors, only these were almost six times the price.  It was inside the Colosseum, so I couldn’t resist buying one for myself.

I was finally in the viewing area.  As overwhelmed as I was by the view from outside yesterday, I was underwhelmed by the view from inside.  It was so disappointing that I could have cried.  This was not what I expected.  There were no seats to be seen, all of them having been eroded over the millennia.  Even the pitch was gone, leaving the tunnels beneath exposed to view.  What was this?  It was a skeleton of what I thought it would be.  I tried to imagine the gladiators at their posts, but it was not to be.

Unlike the many Olympic Stadiums I had visited, such as in Stockholm where I could imagine Jim Thorpe being told by King Gustav that he was the “greatest athlete in the world” or in Paris where I could hear Chariots of Fire playing in my head, this provided no such images.  That is not to say I felt nothing.  I knew that this building was the center of sports and entertainment for the Roman Empire.  I knew the history that once occurred here, but I just couldn’t see it in my head.  I took my ceremonial pictures and would later discover that there actually was a smoking area in view of the inside of the arena, but I was ready to go.

I headed back to the hotel and charged my phone a bit while I retrieved my bag.  I had pizza yesterday, tonight we would be pasta, and I had already picked out the restaurant across the street from yesterday’s restaurant.  I also wanted to get a Sunday paper, so I went to the “tabacchi.”  There, I got some more varieties of Toscano cigars but learned that they don’t stock Sunday papers past a certain time.  It was past that time.  I went to the restaurant for dinner, and I was told that only cigarette smoking was allowed, not cigar smoking.  That was annoying.

I considered going back to my restaurant for yesterday, where I knew I’d be allowed to smoke my Toscano, but I wanted to try some place new.  I sat down and ordered my dinner, spaghetti alla carbonara, a glass of Chianti, and a large bottle of sparkling San Pellegrino.  It was all quite good.  The pasta wasn’t like the pizza last night, merely being decent instead of amazing, but I was eating my favorite pasta dish, in Rome.  It couldn’t be that bad.

After my meal, I lit up a Toscanco Antico and went in search of the newspaper.  My reader should understand that one of the things I try to collect from a new city is a copy of their Sunday paper for wherever I am during a Sunday.  I have been woefully bad at it over the past few trips, but I didn’t want to miss it this time.  Of course, I forgot in the morning, and now it was looking too late.  I tried a bunch of other tabacchi shops and was told the same thing each time.  I made my way back to the hotel with my Toscano and asked at the front desk.  They didn’t have it either.  If I had asked at the tabacchi shop before heading to Tivoli, they would have had it.  I screwed up.

I went up to my room and checked in with a few people before having a video chat with my family, my brother still being with them in Westchester.  After that, I did some research on the Vatican and the Holy See, trying more than anything to figure out what the appropriate dateline would be for the entry for tomorrow’s entry.  It is considered a separate country from Italy, and the Vatican City is a distinct geographical area from Rome, but I couldn’t quite figure out if “Vatican City, Holy See” is the appropriate dateline in the format of “Rome, Italy”.

The Holy See is technically the religious organization that oversees the Diocese of Rome.  The Vatican City State is the political body that governs the Vatican City, where the Pope is located.  However, diplomatic relations are maintained with the Holy See on behalf of the Vatican City State, and that is how it is listed on the World Heritage City list, which, in turn, reflects the Holy See being a non-member observer state of the United Nations, despite the Vatican City State being more properly the name of the state.  It was all so confusing.  In the end, I suppose writing “Vatican City, Holy See” looks better than writing “Vatican City, Vatican City State” or even just “Vatican City”.

Anyway, for tonight’s pipe, a chose a Damiano Rovera Collection pipe, this one being carved by the son of the Rovera who carved my pipe from last night.  It has the same “ITALY FATTA A MANO” stamp, and the grain is just as straight.  It is probably one of the best pipes Damiano has ever made, but, as I explained last night, this is a freeform pipe, having an irregular shape, unlike the Ardor I smoked last night.  I sat in my chair by the window, lit up the pipe, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish as I finish my pipe and then maybe get some gelato before I try to figure out a way to watch the US Open final, which just started.  Tomorrow should be a more relaxed and fun day than these past two.

No comments:

Post a Comment