Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Full Circle - Day 2 - My White Whale


9/25/16, “My White Whale”

Quebec, Quebec


Printed on my passport, under “Date of Issue”, is the date 9/24/12.  That means that it would have been four years ago today when the passport arrived in the mail.  It had been eight years since I had left the country at that time.  It was a Tuesday, so that Saturday, I woke up early, rented a car, and drove up to Canada, to this very hotel where I am staying tonight.  I have come full circle.

Including that first trip, this marks the, I believe, 10th time I have ventured to Canada since receiving that passport.  My travels over those four years have brought me to six continents and 65 countries, but each of the ten trips to Canada was special in its own way, and, whenever I come here to Quebec, it always feels like I’m home.  This is the fourth time I have been in Quebec since receiving that passport, and it will be the last for quite some time.

In fact, I expect that the next time I come here will be on a new passport, as I do not expect my travels to bring me back to Eastern Canada anytime in the next six years.  I will be going to British Columbia (Western Canada) and Newfoundland and Labrador (Atlantic Canada) next year, but Eastern Canada is done for the time being.  It is the part of Canada that feels like home, so it was bittersweet saying “Eastern Canada Complete” today, but I took great pride in the adventures that allowed me to do it, despite being thwarted twice previously in my attempt to see Miguasha National Park, my white whale.

By and large, today was a boring day, but Miguasha National Park was the main impetus for this trip.  It is the reason why I drove 20 hours over the course of 48, rather than just flying to Toronto for the weekend.  It is the reason I am taking a 5:30 AM flight tomorrow morning rather than flying home tonight.  Was it worth it?  Absolutely.

After I closed last night, I soon fell asleep, waking up after getting 3 REM cycles, which would barely be enough to function, especially given that I was going to be driving close to nine hours today.  Breakfast was extremely disappointing, but the coffee was good, and that was what mattered most.  I lit up a Toscano after breakfast as I got ready.  I then headed out.  It would be close to three hours to get to Miguasha, and I was looking at a hard noon arrival if I was lucky.  I had hoped to stop at a Tim Horton’s for a proper breakfast and tie that in with my gas stop, but I had no such luck.

Instead, I stopped for a gas at an old-fashioned gas station with full service.  I had mentioned last night that my drive was without incident, but that was not entirely true.  I had run over a hard traffic cone at one of the construction areas, and that had caused the air in one of my tires to deflate considerably, especially combined with the cold air, I realized.  PV = nRT.  P is Pressure, V is Volume, T is Temperature.  If the temperature goes down, either pressure or volume has to go down (or both).  They had an air compressor at the gas station.  I also got another lighter, an Acadian flag pin, and more coffee.

I lit up a Fuente, and it was a straight shot from there to Miguasha National Park.  Soon enough, I crossed the bridge back into Quebec, and, before long, I saw the signs for Miguasha National Park.  You couldn’t miss it.  I was unsure if they had a Plaque, since I couldn’t find it online, but, sure enough, to my delight, they did.  It was a podium-style Plaque, angled and about four feet off the ground.


I enlisted the help of the first person I saw in taking my ceremonial picture with the Plaque.  She was five feet tall.  This would be no easy task for her to get the right angle.  I had to kneel on the ground to make it work.  I tortured her a bit in getting the perfect photo, but we did in the end.  I went into the VC, which had a gift shop and an information/ticket station with rangers.  They liked to talk.  A lot.  It was quite a process.  I didn’t need a full lecture.  I just needed to know where the inscription photo was taken.

Eventually, he told me and sold me my ticket.  I think it was 12:30 PM at this point.  So much for my hard noon arrival.  In case my reader is unaware what I mean by the term hard arrival, I should contrast it with soft arrival.  If the GPS says that I will be at a site at 12:00 PM, that is a soft arrival.  It means the time I arrive at the address in my car.  The hard arrival time is when I have parked, gotten everything I need out of the car, and walked into the building.  That usually takes about 5-10 minutes.  Part of my issue during my big Eurotrip three years ago was that all my calculations were based on soft arrival times, and, when you are stopping at 5 or more sites a day, the difference can add up to close an hour a day.  I have since learned to never plan to arrive at a site less than an hour before closing time.

I walked through the fossil exhibit and down to the fossil cliffs, which was where the inscription photo was taken, at the bottom of the staircase.  I had lit up my Hoyo de Monterrey, the last I would smoke from the box I got in Rio, and I relished the moment.  I teased that I had been thwarted twice but that it couldn’t escape me.  It was time.




I took my ceremonial picture and announced, “Quebec Complete.  Eastern Canada Complete, [unpublishable]!  Finally!!!”  I took some more ceremonial pictures up and down the fossil cliffs, but it was just more of the same as what I saw at Joggins in July.  The wind made the cigar burn quickly, and I was very grateful for the sweatshirt I had bought in PEI that trip.  I headed up and ditched the cigar outside the VC and got my souvenirs before getting back on the road.

It was about 1:30 PM at that point, and I hadn’t eaten lunch yet.  I was looking at a hard arrival at the hotel in Quebec of 8 PM.  That meant I would not be getting to sleep before 11 AM, which would allow three hours of sleep, 2 full REMS, if I was lucky.  I would get more sleep on the plane and in the cab, but I knew tomorrow would be a rough day.  With some difficulty, I finally found a place for lunch, the French Canadian version of a roadside diner.  I ordered their signature sandwich (basically a Philly Cheesesteak) and poutine, along with coffee.  It took way too long to come out.  The whole process took almost half an hour, but I was starving, and it was all quite good.

I lit up an LFD, which smoked terribly, followed by an Aging Room.  After the Aging Room, I stopped for gas and some snacks.  I spent way too long picking out the snacks, but I was still looking good for the 8 PM hard arrival at the hotel.  I lit up a Camacho for my last cigar of the drive, switching from Avril to Disney music after the cigar.  I opened the windows at that point to air out the car.  While I was driving, it was raining at numerous points, and I saw a rainbow at one point.  At another point, I saw a beautiful vista of the Saint Lawrence River.  Soon enough, driving on cruise control most of the way, I was entering the city of Quebec.  I took a wrong turn, which actually didn’t add any time and brought me to a gas station, where I gassed up for the last time and cleaned out the car.

I then went to the hotel.  It was all so familiar.  Even though I was here four years, I remembered it all.  In fact, all of Old Quebec looked so familiar, even though it had been two years since I was last here.  It was a bit of a process to find out from the innkeeper where to park the car (just down the block was the eventual answer).  I checked in and went up to my room.  I had thought I had reserved the same room that I had gotten last time, but apparently not.  This room was about half the size and much shittier.  It also faced the opposite direction.  This would not do.  I asked if he had any other rooms available.  He did not.  Oh, well.  I would only be spending about four hours in the room total, anyway.  I situated myself and headed outside.

I knew exactly where I would be getting dinner.  There is a restaurant with a patio in view of the Plaque, and I had always wanted to go there.  As I walked to the restaurant, I knew that I was home.  This was where I was meant to be, and I was so happy that I had come full circle like this.  I stopped for a flag pin on the way, the one I have not being in good condition.  Something that is interesting about Quebec is that they consider themselves a nation, not a province.  The legislative assembly building is called the National Parliament of Quebec.

I soon came to the familiar plaza and saw that no one was sitting outside.  I went in to the restaurant and asked if I could sit outside.  Eventually they agreed.  I ordered a glass of local red wine, along with their signature beef bourguignon.  Once they brought out the wine, I lit up a Vegas Robaina Canada Exclusivo.  I was so home.  This is the fifth time I have been in Quebec.  Only New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington have it beat.  I have been to a bunch of cities three times, including Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, and Toronto.  November will bring me to Atlanta and London for my fourth visits to each.

Quebec is my favorite city in North America, other than New York, and the magic was still there, made even more magical by eating dinner in view of the Plaque.  They brought the beef, and I started to eat and smoke.  It was blissful.  A few minutes later, I was told that I could not smoke on the patio, even though I was the only one out there.  I put the cigar down, but he told me that the cigar itself could not even be on the patio.  There was a planter connected to the patio.  I put the cigar in the planter.  That was acceptable.  The meal was delicious, and I paid my check and retrieved my cigar.

I then went to pay homage to the Plaque.  It is, without a doubt, the best World Heritage Site in the world.  There is a whole garden dedicated to the Plaque with flowers in the shape of the WHS logo and UNESCO flags surrounding it.  There is a 3D rendition of the logo behind the Plaque.  I knelt in front of the garden and paid my respect.  I then had a conversation with the Plaque, which I was now visiting for the fifth time (well, more if I can count multiple visits during each trip).

Is it possible to love an inanimate object?  If it is, I love this Plaque.  I was on the verge of tears as I said goodbye to the Plaque, knowing that I would not be seeing it for quite some time.  I kissed the WHS logo on the Plaque, thanking it for all the good memories.  I listed the five remaining WHS I needed to visit in Canada, and I promised the Plaque that I would eventually return.  I said goodbye and walked away.  It was very bittersweet.  This was the WHS Plaque I had now seen more than any other WHS Plaque, even the one at Independence Hall.

I stopped for souvenirs, as I always do, also stopping for a maple latte, which was quite good.  I got to the hotel and ditched the cigar outside.  I went up to the room and realized that it would be stupid to write my entry from the room.  There was a nice bench outside the hotel, and it had the view I wanted.  I headed back down with my computer bag and sat on the bench, where I lit up my favorite Ardor, glad to add “Quebec, Quebec” to the datelines under which I had smoked it, (followed by a Romeo y Julieta) and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get some sleep before I have to go to the airport.  I have had a lot of great memories in Eastern Canada, and, as I keep saying, it is quite bittersweet that my time in this region is now at an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment