Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Full Circle - Day 0 - A Citizen of the World

“Full Circle”


9/23/16, “A Citizen of the World”
Aboard AC 725, En route LGA-YYZ

What does it mean to be a citizen of the world?  As UN week in the city I have just left draws to a close, I believe this is an appropriate question to ask.  Is it someone who travels to different cities around the world?  Someone who has lived in different countries?  Or does it require something even further?  Hegel envisioned an ideal type of civil society where this idea, the cosmopolitan citizen, would take a more literal meaning.  While Hegel saw that as an end goal of human civilization, perhaps we should ask if that is even a desirable outcome.

Are national identities an outdated concept, and must we begin to except that we are all members of the same planet?  Or can we maintain a sense of national identity and assert, as Donald Trump does, "America First!"  Must we put American interests aside in the name of this new global identity, as those on the left might argue, or is it perfectly acceptable to claim our national identity and put our own interests first?  It is with that in mind that I make my way to Toronto.

I believe that my readers know how I will answer these questions.  I will, of course, answer with a resounding “America First!” and I will hope the citizens of Toronto will respond, “Canada First!”  The line gets fuzzier when we move a little further east into Canada, as I will be doing this trip, and have to contend with subnational identities.  I believe someone living in Quebec would respond to his western neighbor’s claim of “Canada First!” with a cry of “Quebec First!” in a way you would never hear “Ontario First!” in Toronto.

It is interesting to understand national and subnational politics, but I believe both the citizens of Toronto and Quebec would understand the idea of putting local interests ahead of global interests.  In spite of the idea of a United Nations that can unite the interests of all the nations of the world, I believe that to be an ignoble goal, as it has a natural tendency to subvert national identity.  While I am sure I will find some disagreement among my readers, especially those who might disagree with the extreme to which Mr. Trump would take the idea of his “America First” doctrine, I maintain with absolute conviction that the citizens of America are just that, citizens of America, and not citizens of the world, and they have an absolute right to proclaim, “America First!”, forever and always.

As for other interpretations of the phrase, I perhaps I am a citizen of the world in that sense, visiting a new country almost every month as part of this five-year mission, but I would never identify myself as anything other than an American, a New Yorker, and a descendant of the nation of Israel.

I had an entirely different opening planned for this entry, but, sometimes inspiration strikes at the most opportune moment.  As I was posting my departure photo to social media, I began to tag today as #AStressfulDeparture, which would have led to me opening with a cold opening about all the departure stress that had occurred in the four hours prior to my arriving at the gate.  However, I deleted that phrase, since I had caught a major break upon arriving at the airport, and I changed it to #ACitizenOfTheWorld, which led to this opening.  That is not to say the stress was not real.  In fact, it was perhaps the most stressful departure build-up to the airport arrival I have experienced in quite some time.  I have had more stressful airport experiences, but, this time, once I cleared airport security, everything went fine.  Let us begin at the beginning, though.

I finished packing late last night, watching Season 3 of “The Blacklist” in an attempt to get caught up, as Season 4 had just started.  The Patriots game had been a blowout, so I had lost all interest in that.  I woke up and got ready, leaving my luggage at my apartment, figuring I would get it later.  I lit up a Camacho and dropped it off at the cigar shop on my way to work.  I arranged to have a car pick me up outside the cigar shop at 5:15 PM.  That would get me to the airport by 6 PM, in time to write my entry at LGA before my 8:30 PM flight.

A coworker and I headed out to lunch together, and we swung by the cigar shop to pick up my cigar, so I introduced him to everyone.  We then walked to Subway to pick up sandwiches.  I relit my cigar and biked up to Hunter, leaving the cigar outside and bringing my sandwich to class.  We had a great debate on the philosophy of the mind, my personal philosophy being that the mind is just an illusion created from the firing of neurons in the brain and that the brain functions much the same way as an advanced computer program.  I had three other students on my side (not counting those who were in silent agreement) by the end of the class, in no small part by using an appropriate example of a self-driving car, which would “avoid” pedestrians much the same way a human-driven car would “avoid” pedestrians.

After class, I retrieved my cigar, lit it up, biked to my apartment, ditched the cigar outside, retrieved my luggage, broke a Toscano in half, and walked to the office.  My mother had dropped off my new driver’s license at my boss’s house, who was going to bring it in, my old license having expired.  I asked him if he had it.  He did not.  I will spare the next hour and a half of drama that ensued, but, to summarize, his nanny had taken the delivery from my mother and had forgotten about it when he asked her in the morning, only to remember right as I was leaving.  We explored all possible options, but by that point, it was too late to get the new license to me before I had to clear airport security, even though my boss had expressed willingness to drive it to the airport.  The timing would not work.  I had a temporary license, along with my expired license, and the Hertz website said that that would be acceptable.

Okay, then what?  At 5 PM, I headed to the cigar shop with the other half of my Toscanao.  At this point, I realized that I had left my laptop charger at home.  Now, more drama.  I would need to retrieve the charger from my apartment before going to the airport.  The car could take me there, but it would add time.  To make matters worse, I got a call that they were running behind schedule and that the pickup would not be until 5:25 PM.  I then got another call that they were still running late and that it would be after 5:30 PM, and they could not guarantee when.  That complicated things.  I arranged for an Uber to pick me up at my apartment in 15 minutes, but it would be more expensive.  I hope to be able to get a compensatory credit from the car service due to their screw up, though.

I walked back to my apartment, taking my suitcase all the way back down Park Avenue with the other half of the Toscano I had previously smoked as I wheeled the suitcase up Park Avenue.  The Uber was waiting for me when I arrived.  I put my luggage in the car and went upstairs to get my charger.  We were at the airport at 6:20 PM, and I was shocked to see the renovations there for the first time now.  I cleared security and headed to my gate.

We are now making our decent, so I will wrap up.  I picked up some food at Auntie Anne’s and headed to the Air Canada counter, where I saw that there was an earlier flight, a 7:25 PM flight, which they put me on.  I scarfed down my food as boarding began and then got on the plane.  As soon as we took off, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are about to land.



Toronto, Ontario



Oh, Canada!  I left my apartment less than six hours ago.  This has to be some kind of a record.  I can’t remember any trip where I wrote my hotel entry for Day 0 within six hours of leaving my apartment or office.  Even road trips, I don’t think I’ve ever been at the hotel in such a short time.  I was in my nightclothes within five hours of leaving my apartment.  Definitely has to be a record.  How did this all happen?  Well, in my previous entry, which I closed within three hours of leaving my apartment, I explained how I was on an airplane within two hours of leaving the apartment, and the flight was only an hour.  So, what then happened in the two hours between landing at Pearson and arriving at my hotel and changing into my nightclothes?  How did that process only take two hours?

It is now 11:30 PM as of writing this entry, and I expected to just be walking up to the Hertz counter now to get my car and not be at my hotel and in my nightclothes for another hour after that and probably not writing this entry until at least 1 AM.  The two hours that I saved may seem insignificant, but they make all the difference in the world.  It is the difference between getting to sleep past 2 AM versus around midnight, which, when I have to wake up at 8 AM, is the difference between getting eight hours of sleep and six hours.  When you have been running all week on less than six hours of sleep a night, those extra two hours of sleep is a huge deal, especially when tomorrow will entail a brutal, 10-hour drive across Eastern Canada.

We landed soon after I closed, and I steeled myself for the all-too-familiar border control process.  This was an odd trip, and I knew it would raise a lot of questions during my interview with border control.  I didn’t think they would deny me entry, but the way this trip was designed was sure to raise additional suspicions.  I had nothing illegal on me and nothing to hide, so it was just an issue of being hassled in the process.

When I got to border control, I saw that they had transitioned to electronic kiosks, very similar to the Global Entry kiosks I use at home.  I had to scan my passport and declaration form.  They gave me a printed receipt in exchange, which I would have to show to the border control officer, who was checking them at the exit.

I should note here that I always use the terms customs and border control extremely precisely, though they are often colloquially used interchangeably.  Border control technically can be on exit or entrance, but I am only discussing entrance.  It consists of two parts, an immigration checkpoint and the customs checkpoint.  The immigration checkpoint is to ascertain what you are doing here, while the customs checkpoint is to ascertain what you are bringing.  In other words, immigration is to check people, customs is to check goods.  Together, they form border control, which is called the CBSA in Canada and the US CPB back home.  The declaration contained information that pertained both to immigration and customs.

The officer here was serving in an immigration capacity, asking questions about the purpose of our stay.  I told him I was here for Tourism.  Where was I staying?  In Toronto.  What hotel?  The Delta.  Okay, go ahead.  I proceeded to the customs checkpoint, and I took my receipt without further question.  That was it.

It has been almost four years since I set foot in Ontario, and that was before I started this Travelogue.  Other than airport entries, this is the first Ontario dateline I have ever written.  It is the first time I have had a “Toronto, Ontario” dateline, despite this being my third visit to this city.  I made my way to Hertz, and now I had another hurdle to overcome.  Would she accept my temporary driver’s license?

I showed her first my old license, and she said it was expired.  I then handed her the temporary one.  She was extremely confused, and she spent a lot of time looking it over, but, eventually, she handed them both back to me and told me where to find my car.  Well, that was good.  It was now four hours since I left my apartment, and I was in front of my rental car.  I expected to still be in the air at that point.  I put in the GPS for my hotel in Toronto and got on the road.

Almost immediately, I saw a call from my friend Raymond.  That was odd.  He almost never calls me on the phone.  I picked up.  He had good news.  He got a new job, a much better paying one.  He was thrilled about it.  We talked a little about that, joking that we were both in the construction industry now, and we said we’d see each other Monday for the debate.  I almost want to keep this Travelogue open until Monday night so that I can write about the debate, rather than closing it Monday morning as is my tradition.  I was soon at my hotel, and I noted that the streets were awfully crowded.  I realized that a Blue Jays games must have just let out.  My hotel was right across from the CN Tower, and it was a great location.  I parked in the lot under the building and checked in.


She put me on the 35th Floor with a phenomenal view of the cityscape.  I changed into my nightclothes, it now being less than five hours since I left my apartment.  I was starving at this point.  I ordered a flatbread pizza from room service and relaxed for a bit until it arrived, neutralizing the smoke detector during that time period as well.




The pizza came as I was about to rub out my pipe tobacco.  It was spicy, delicious, and filling.  After the pizza, I grabbed my pipe, sat down in view of the cityscape, lit up my Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep for my big day tomorrow.  As of writing this sentence, it is now exactly one minute before midnight.  I did not even expect to be at my hotel before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment