Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

American Caribbean - Day 2 - The National Park


4/1/17, “The National Park”

Cruz Bay, Saint John, United States Virgin Islands

Today has been an incredible day, spent predominantly in one of our nation’s 59 National Parks.  Give that there are only 59 and that this is my 56th of the 59, it is gotten to the point now where any new National Park is a significant event.  This one, simply named Virgin Islands National Park, was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever visited.  It exemplified the pinnacle of Caribbean beauty, white beaches with blue water and green mountains in the background.  That is what the Caribbean does best, rich, lush colors, and that is what this National Park had.  While yesterday I wrote that Transfer Day was the reason I came this weekend, the National Park was the main reason I came here full stop.

After I closed last night, I finished my cigar and fell asleep almost as soon as I went back in my room.  I slept in a bit, waking up at 7:30 AM.  I had wanted to take the 9 AM ferry to Saint John, so timing was now going to be a bit tight.  I got ready and headed across the way to breakfast, which consisted of bacon, eggs, and toast, along with coffee.  A simple breakfast, but it did the trick.  I had the front desk call me a taxi to the ferry terminal across the island and went to retrieve my luggage.  Sure enough, it was a large van, and he wanted to go pick up more passengers.  That was, quite simply, not an option.  It was now 8:30 AM, and the hotel said it would be a 15 to 20 minute drive.  I explained this to the driver, and he demanded an outrageous “express” charge.  I told him that was too much.  He huffed and puffed as he drove me to the ferry terminal.  When we approached the terminal, he asked for half of his “express” charge, and I agreed, even though it was still overpriced, but reasonable enough given the expense of driving a 14-passenger van with only 1 passenger.

I got my ticket, and, soon enough, we were on our way across the bay or channel or whatever the body of water was that separated Saint Thomas and Saint John.  It’s a sound.  I don’t know exactly what my original plan had been, but I think it entailed walking to the VC (after checking in), taking a taxi to the heart of the National Park, then walking around inside the NP, then taking a taxi back to the hotel.  That was, in theory, doable, but I quickly learned it was not ideal.  We soon landed at Cruz Bay, Saint John and disembarked.

It was an easy enough walk to my hotel, and I saw where the VC was, also an easy walk.  However, as luck would have it, there was a Jeep rental place right before I got to the hotel.  It looked simple and easy, so I walked in and asked what they charged for a day.  The price they named did not seem to be significantly more than I would have spent in taxi charges under my original plan.  I rented the Jeep, which had a removable top and instructions not to remove it.  I’m sure my reader knows what happened.  I drove the car up the block to the hotel and went to check in, but my room wasn’t ready.  No matter.  I left my bags at the hotel and went to the car.  Of course, I took the top off, which was a bit of a process, but it was intuitive enough to figure out.

I got lost on the way back into town, which entailed taking a lot of back roads and huge hills, but I found the VC before long, and I took care of my business there.  Since I was driving a Jeep with an open top, there was never any point in locking the doors.  By extension, that meant I had nothing of value in the car.  In fact, the only thing worth stealing was my phone charger, which I locked in the glove box half the time, anyway.  After the VC, my first stop was a beach called Trunk Bay, which was the most photographed spot in the NP.  I lit up a Por Larranga and was on my way.

Parking was a bit of an issue, but once I paid the user fee to access the beach, they told me I could park on the side of the road by the ruins.  Most people were using the beach as a beach, but I just wanted my ceremonial picture, which I took on the beach.  At that point, my cell signal returned, so I was glad to be able to post my picture right away.

From there it was to the next beach, Cinnamon Bay, which offered similar views.  I got my lunch at the restaurant there after I finished my cigar, which consisted of a lobster roll and chips.  I then lit up an LFD and headed to the next NPS unit of the day, Virgin Islands Coral Reef NM, which is mostly water-based but has a small strip of land that is accessible by road.

I found it with some difficulty and, eventually, found a spot to take a ceremonial picture.  From there, it was back to the VC, which entailed looping around on a more direct road.  I wanted to check out one more beach, so I went back into the NP, stopping at Hawksnest Bay.

When I got there, I lit up an Oliva and walked around a bit.  I then returned to the VC, ditched my cigar, and got some souvenirs.  After I got my souvenirs, I struggled to put the top back on, but, in the end, I figured it out.  It was all basic mechanics.  Everything had its place and a place for everything.  I returned the car and walked back to the hotel, where I could now check in to my room.  I had some chips and took a nap, waking up around 5 PM for happy hour.

I went to the main area, where they had some free rum punch, which was quite good.  I chugged one down immediately and then got a second one to sip more slowly.  I went to the designated smoking area out front, the entire property being smoke-free, but there was no place to sit, so I grabbed a beach chair and set up where I had a good view.  I then sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head out to dinner as soon as I finish my pipe.



It seems the 4-5 days is the exact right amount of time to spend in the Antilles.  It is how long I spent on my two Passover trips to the Lesser Antilles, and it is how long I am spending on this trip to the American Caribbean.  It is long enough to allow me to settle in and get all wistful and wax about how much I love it here, but it is not too long that I begin to feel that I have overstayed.  I wonder how I will feel about 16 days on the Pacific Islands in September.  I don’t have much new to report, but it is perfectly relaxing to sit our here, smoking my cigar, drinking my rum, and listening to the sounds of the island.  Tomorrow will be a different island, the third of the main islands of the USVI.  It has been a long day and an exhausting one, so I am looking forward to getting to sleep as soon as I finish my cigar.

After I closed, I went back to my room to resituate myself and headed to restaurant, the non-grid layout of the roads tripping me up once more.  I had clearly chosen right, and the restaurant was completely full.  It would be 15 minutes before they could seat me.  No matter, I wasn’t quite hungry yet, anyway.  I was, however, thirsty.  I got a very cold club soda as soon as I sat down, and that went down well.  They had a rum drink called a frozen painkiller, and it sounded very good.  I ordered that, and I was delighted that it tasted even better than it sounded.  The menu was mostly what I would call “Baja” cuisine.  It was certainly more Mexican-inspired than West Indian, but it was all local and fresh, and the proteins were definitely West Indian.  I got guacamole and chips as an appetizer, followed by fish and pork tacos, both a Mexican-West Indian fusion recipe.  The meal was incredible, and I was glad with my choice.

After dinner, I headed back to the hotel, again getting lost by the non-grid layout.  I stopped at a grocery store to get some snacks and some rum, along with a newspaper with a special Centennial cover.  I got back to my room, resituated myself, and poured a glass of rum to pair with my cigar.  I then went back to my spot from earlier, where I sat down with my rum, lit up a Quesada, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment