Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, April 2, 2017

American Caribbean - Day 3 - By Boat and by Plane

4/2/17, “By Boat and by Plane”

Christiansted, Saint Croix, United States Virgin Islands

While Charlotte Amelie is the modern capital of the United States Virgin Islands, prior to Transfer Day 100 years ago, Christiansted was the capital of the Danish West Indies for almost 200 years.  I am now sitting atop Fort Christiansvaern, which was the seat of His Majesty’s Power in the Americas.  Today, the Danish only have one remaining colony in the Americas, an island by the name of Greenland, which is more white than green.  I will be visiting that island in two months, but today served as my last full day in the West Indies, and it is likely to be my last night I spend here for quite some time.  I will miss it, but the Summer of Travel I have planned will be one for the record books.

After I closed last night, I poured myself a very large glass of club soda to go with my rum and chocolate, as I watched the basketball.  I soon fell asleep and woke up around 6 AM before my alarm clock.  I wanted to be on the 7 AM ferry back to Saint Thomas to give myself plenty of time to make my 10 AM flight to Saint Croix.  I got ready and walked over to the ferry dock, not getting lost this time.

I got my ticket, and we soon boarded.  Taxis were waiting at the ferry terminal, so I took one to the seaplane base.  To my dismay, I saw that it was closed.  It was almost 8 AM and my flight was at 10 AM.  What was going on?  The driver said he thought they would open at 8 AM, so I went across the street in search of coffee, which I needed badly.  Very badly.  I had a splitting headache already.

There was a restaurant that was opening at 8 AM, and the doors were already open, so I went inside to sit down.  Soon enough, the coffee was ready, and she took my order for a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich.  I finished my first cup of coffee while the sandwich was cooking, which took an inordinate amount of time, I suppose due to the grill needing to heat up.  Meanwhile, 8 AM came and went without the seaplane base opening up.  I was in full panic mode.  I had lost my appetite.  Then, I saw some signs of life inside, and my appetite returned before the sandwich came.  I had a second cup of coffee, but the sandwich was so big that I could only eat half of it.
I walked across the street and learned that they would open at 9 AM.  I lit up a Caoba and waited to get my ticket at 9 AM.  I then read some poetry for school as I finished my cigar.  Around 9:30 AM, we boarded, and I was told my computer bag was too big to come aboard with me.  The plane was, as I said, a seaplane, which meant that it landed on water, not on land.  It was very small.  My mother would not have been happy with that vessel.  I loved the experience, though I was concerned about the contents of my computer bag.  We flew so low and the flight so quick that I never lost my cell signal.

When we landed in the harbor at Christiansted, I found a taxi driver, who gave me card for later.  I was still on the fence about renting a car, worrying how much a taxi for the afternoon would cost.  I walked to my hotel, which took about five minutes, and checked in to my room.  I resituated myself before heading to the NPS in town, appropriately called Christiansted NHS.

I wondered why it wasn’t a World Heritage Site.  I have been to other WHS around the world of less cultural significance then this one, but I have learned that US potential WHS are graded on a curve or else we are more reserved in what we choose to nominate.   The VC in the fort served as the VC for all three NPS units in Saint Croix, so I got all my brochures and stamps.  Unfortunately, the Eastern National store was closed on Sunday.

I then walked up to the top of the fort to take some ceremonial pictures.  It was a great vista and an experience of special significance, thinking about the history of this place.  I then went back down and took some pictures of the other buildings in town, including the warehouse where Alexander Hamilton worked as a boy.  That was fun, especially since I had seen his birthplace in Nevis a few years ago.  Okay, I am going to relocate so that I can write in leisure without worrying about getting locked in this fort, as it closes in ten minutes.

I have to say that this little town here is one of my favorite places that I have ever visited, the rich pastel colors, the history, the natural beauty, all of it makes for such a memorable experience.  I am glad that I will always be able to say (unless I visit Curacao) that Christiansted was the last night I spent in the Caribbean during my five-year quest.

Okay, so I headed back to my hotel to post my picture and then walked back to the harbor to see if I could find Andy or else rent a car.  Andy was nowhere to be found, and there were no cars to be rented.  I walked back towards the fort to go to the taxi stand there.  I wanted to go to the NPS unit at Salt River Bay, then the NHL at Frederiksted, then come back here.  No one wanted to take me.  I handed the manager there Andy’s card, and he gladly came to pick me up.  He would not name a price upfront, and I feared for the worse, but he showed me a rate card.  I didn’t do the math, and the prices were reasonable enough.

We first went to the closed VC at Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve (or NHP&EPres for short).  I walked to the top of the hill and lit up a Graycliff (to follow the Casa Magna I had at Christiansted NHS) and took my ceremonial pictures.  I could see where Christopher Columbus landed in 1493 (and exterminated the local tribe of Carib Indians).  Again, how was this not a WHS, though I suppose the parenthetical answers that question, as does the fact that the Danish West Indies enslaved many people as to why Christiansted is not a WHS.  In fact, I do not know any WHS that commemorates slavery in any way, though the one in Haiti celebrates something built by freed slaves, and the one in Jamaica celebrates the culture of freed slaves there.

We then went down to the landing spot itself, which had no sign, no plaques, just a beach with some people playing around.  It took away from the experience for me, but I took another ceremonial picture.  From there, we went to Frederiksted, which had another old fort that was designated as an NHL.

It was called, quite simply, Fort Frederik.  It was also the last NHL in the USVI for me to visit.  I noted that it was the first state, territory, or district where I had visited each and every NHL.  I was proud of that achievement.  All that remained to say “United States Virgin Islands Complete” was Buck Island NM tomorrow.  I had a functional enough cell signal, so I was able to post my stuff to social media.  Now it was time to go back.

We stopped for ice cream on the way, and it seemed that he was going to buy my ice cream for, but he didn’t really make it clear, and I also wanted a milkshake for now and something for later, which was probably more than he wanted to spend.  Either way, it didn’t matter, since I was about to pay him a somewhat variable rate for the taxi fare, possibly with a tip, so I was going to expend the same total amount of money either way.  I got an almond and cherry vanilla shake and some ginger nut ice cream to go.  It was much needed.  I hadn’t had lunch, since I was so exhausted that I had no desire for hot and spicy West Indian food.

We headed back to Christiansted, and the fare he requested was much less than I had expected.  He said he would take me to the airport tomorrow after my boat ride, so that worked out.  The VC at Christiansted was closed, and the Eastern National shop had never opened, so I went back to my hotel to resituate myself.  I had some cheese and crackers and headed back out.  I then went up to the top of the fort, where I lit up a Vegas Robaina Canada Exclusivo, sat down, and proceeded to write this entry.  Halfway through, I moved outside and found a bench.  The bench was facing away from the fort, so I turned it around, sat down, and finished writing this entry, which I will now close so that I can head back to my hotel.  I am not sure what my evening plans are, but, if I have enough energy, I might go to the Centennial Gala, which is actually pretty far outside of town.  Otherwise, I’ll just have dinner at the hotel, write another entry, and then get a good night’s sleep.



So, I am in a bit of a fret right now.  Since I planned this trip, there has been a quadrupe witching, as it were, that puts me in serious risk of missing my flight back to San Juan tomorrow.  The timing was kinda tight as it was when I planned it, but four factors have made it even tighter, and thinking about it, I’m not even sure if my current plan is viable.  First, the boat trip to Buck Island got pushed back by an hour.  Second, my flight got pushed up by twenty minutes.  Third, and this is still a little unclear, I think I need to clear a Customs checkpoint at STX before I fly to SJU, since USVI and PR are considered different customs area.  Now, we’re talking about close to an hour and forty minutes.  Lastly, the Eastern National shop won’t open before my boat tour in the morning, I do not think, and I really want to stop there before I leave.

That means I am looking at a total tightening of close to two hours.  The only way that is at all viable is if the boat gets back at 12:30 PM, but, in realty, I think it won’t be until slightly after 1 PM.  I will not know the exact timetable until I check in at the dock tomorrow.  There is a JetBlue flight that is forty minutes later, but then that makes my time in San Juan very tight.  It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.  The only thing I know is that leaving the American Caribbean without getting the contents of my folder stamped at the San Juan World Heritage Site is, simply, not an option.

After I closed this afternoon, I headed to the restaurant by the hotel in search of some much needed club soda.  I downed three glasses and got a fourth to go.  Fortunately, it was free refills, so it worked out to a very cheap price.  I then went back to my room and tried to take a nap, but it failed for various reasons.  My phone was at 1%, and I didn’t want to leave until I had enough juice to last me through dinner.  Unfortunately, the cord was charging very slowly.  It would take an hour before I had any kind of significant charge on the phone.

As that was happening, just as I was about to fall asleep, over the course of about ten minutes, no less than 5 people caused my phone to ping, chirp, and/or buzz.  Meanwhile, the charge was way too slow, and I had a different, shorter cord that I could run from my laptop.  That was literally charging 4 times faster.  When I got to about 30%, I headed out to dinner, the same restaurant where I had gotten the club soda earlier.

They had a good menu, more island flair and less “Baja” than the restaurant last night, but not quite West Indian like Friday night.  I opted for the crab cakes with appetizer and the fresh Wahoo for a main course, along with local IPA.  Both dishes had a tropical fruit glaze.  It was probably the best meal of the trip.  I loved every bite of both dishes, and the beer was perfect.  The view from the table was quite the vista, as well.

Meanwhile, I discovered that my parents and my oldest friend were staying at the same hotel in South Carolina.  They even had adjacent rooms.  What a coincidence.  I got a bread pudding dessert to take back to my room and paid my check.  When I got to my room, I changed into my pajamas, went outside with the rest of my second beer, sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment