Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Moonlight - Day 1 - "Georgia on My Mind"

4/22/17, “Georgia on My Mind”
Tallahassee, Florida



I suppose it is a bit ironic that I am using an establishing shot of the Florida State Capitol for an entry entitled “Georgia on My Mind,” but, while I woke up Jacksonville approximately 14 hours ago, and will be spending the night here in Tallahassee, I have spent almost 12 of those 14 hours in Georgia, seeing the last three National Park Sites I needed to visit in the state, so I believe the title to be appropriate.

After I closed last night, I soon went to sleep, waking up around 7 AM, which was perfect timing.  I had neglected to pack Nexium for the day, I wanted to resolve that issue sooner, rather than later, so I stopped at the first gas station I found.  They were sold out of Zantac, so I had to settle for Tums, which I new would only be a weak and temporary solution.  I was on a bit of a tight schedule to get to the ferry dock in St. Marys for my 9 AM ferry, but I knew I had time to chance another stop.  However, my GPS was out of sync, and it kept giving me bad directions.  I found my Zantac and, after a few wrong turns, made it St. Marys.

The first NPS was Cumberland Island National Seashore, but the only way to get there was by ferry, and the schedule, unless I wanted to spend the whole day on the island, meant I would only get 20-30 minutes ashore, in exchange for over an hour on the boat (round-trip).  I did my business at the VC, and we soon boarded.  The boat ride went by quickly enough, and I raced to get off, rushing to the Ranger Station there to get another stamp.

I had 25 minutes left, which meant I had 10 minutes to walk to the beach on the other side of the island if I wanted to take my ceremonial picture and get back in time for my 10:15 AM return.  The next boat was at 2:45 PM.  That was not an option.  I lit up my smallest cigar, a Maestro del Tiempo, and walked as quickly as I could.  It took my exactly 10 minutes.  As I walked, I was amazed by the beauty of the trees, a type of tree I had never seen before.

I got to the beach, took my ceremonial picture, and raced back, getting to the dock at 10:08 AM, perfect timing.  We were back ashore in St. Marys at 11:00 AM.  My reader will note that I have not yet had breakfast, and my dinner from last night provided no nutritional value, so I was starving.

I stopped at the first quick place I saw, a Burger King, and got a bacon cheeseburger, fries, and a coffee.  That did the trick.  I took my Zantac, but I feared it would not work as well as the Nexium.  Since this would be my first big drive of the trip, I lit up my Davidoff Escurio Toro and started playing “Red”.  Almost immediately, I saw a Walgreens, so I had to stop.  From there it was a straight shot to my first NPS, Andersonville National Historic Site.  It was about 3.5 hours away.  I made the drive without stopping.  After “Red” and my Davidoff, I lit up a Graycliff and listened to the news stations.

Then a Nat Sherman’s cigar, which brought me to Andersonville NHS.  It was now 3:30 PM.  The day was almost over, and I had only been to one NPS so far, but that was the schedule as designed.  It was a Civil War Prisoners of War camp, one of the biggest in the south, and it was very interesting, since it was partially reconstructed.  I took care of my business at the VC and took some ceremonial pictures at the POW camp.  It was 4 PM by the time I was ready to leave.

The next and final NPS, Jimmy Carter NHS, was 30 minutes away and closed at 5 PM, which would give me exactly 30 minutes on-site.  Again, perfect timing.  I got the main VC, which was inside his old high school, and I did my business there, also getting some fried peanuts to curb my appetite.  I figured that was a fitting snack for the occasion, the peanut farmer who became President.  I lit up my Canada Exclusivo (in honor of “Argo”) Vegas Robaina and took a ceremonial picture.

The only other site to see was his boyhood home and farm, and I went straight there, arriving around 4:45 PM.  I took my ceremonial pictures and was done at almost exactly 5 PM.  That was “Georgia Complete.”  I was fascinated thinking that this was where President Carter grew up, from peanut farmer to Senator to Governor to President.  From there, it was straight to Tallahassee, a 2.5-hour drive.  Sunset was at 8:09 PM.  That gave me just enough time for an early dinner, since I was starving.

I stopped at the Waffle House, and the staff seemed very confused.  I guess people don’t usually come there at 5:15 PM.  I wasn’t done with my cigar, so I left it outside and asked if they had a smoking section.  They found that quite amusing.  I figured I might as well ask, as the one in Mississippi did.  I then asked for a club soda.  The waiter did not know what it is.  I offered some other names, such as seltzer and sparkling water.  He said he didn’t have it.  I was convinced that he just didn’t know what button to press to get it from the fountain, but I didn’t press the issue, settling for water instead.  I asked him what was good for dinner.  He did not understand the question.  I made my own choice, getting their new cheesesteak hash brown bowl, along with a waffle and coffee.  The meal was perfect, and it was quite filling.

My phone said an 8 PM arrival at the Capitol.  Perfect.  I retrieved my cigar and was on my way, switching the radio to the Howard Stern Show.  He had Alec Baldwin as a guest, followed by George Takei.  It was hysterical.  I followed my Vegas Robaina with an Oliva.  I had to stop for gas and had some traffic, but I was looking at an 8:05 PM arrival, which would be, you guessed it, perfect timing to take my ceremonial picture before sunset at 8:09 PM.  I arrived right on schedule and parked my car on the side of the road, figuring I would be close enough if a cop came.  If my leaders are unfamiliar with the Florida State Capitol, it is a modern building and very tall.  That makes getting the full height in one picture very difficult, so I tried a few different angles.  I got my ceremonial picture and, sure enough, saw a cop summoning me over.

He gave me quite a lecture, but he let me go without a ticket, and I went straight to the hotel.  It was now twilight, and I wanted to get the establishing shot for my entry before civil twilight ended, so I went straight to my hotel, checked in, and parked my car.  I had my computer bag and looked up the State Capitol to see which was really the front side.  That was when the confusion began.  The picture on Google showed an old-fashioned-looking building with the tall modern building apparently attached to it.

I raced to get to that side before dusk to take a new ceremonial picture from that angle, which was the perfect angle, and I did so.  I deleted my earlier post and reposted this one.  That was one I learned that this actually the Historic Capitol, really just a museum, and the tall, modern building was the actual State Capitol.  I refused to delete again and repost for a third time, so I went with the aesthetically pleasing picture I had just posted, with the current capitol in the background.  I then sat down in front of the Historic Capitol, where I lit up my trusty Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and play a little Zelda before I go to sleep.  Tomorrow is an early day.

No comments:

Post a Comment