Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, April 3, 2017

American Caribbean - Day 4 - Finishing Up

4/3/17, “Finishing Up”

Moored, Adventure, Caribbean Sea (Buck Island Reef National Monument, United States Virgin Islands)

Well, my time in the United States Virgin Islands is coming to an end.  We are now moored off of Buck Island after spending some time on the island itself, which allowed me to claim it as my 276th NPS Unit and say, “United States Virgin Islands Complete.”  It has been a wonderful four days, and, other than a brief stop in San Juan, all that remains is The Return Journey.  It is now slightly before noon, and we will not land at JFK until after midnight tonight.  When the final reckoning comes, I am sure this trip will rank highly.  I have loved every minute of my time here, and it pains me that this trip is now coming to a close, but I can rejoice in the success this trap has been.  This is definitely a fitting vista for my last entry that I will write in the USVI.

After I closed last night, I heated up my dessert with limited success.  The ice cream was a mush, and it was mess, due to the fact that they had just wrapped it up with plastic wrap, rather than actually putting a lid on it.  In the end, it didn’t matter, since it was all going the same place, anyway, and it was delicious.  I then went outside to smoke a Headley Grange before collapsing.

I slept well enough through the night, waking up around 7 AM before my alarm clock.  I made some coffee in the room, ate the bagel crackers I had bought in Saint John, and heated up the other half of the breakfast sandwich from yesterday, which was a mess, but it tasted good.

I then lit up a Caoba, packed, and got ready for the morning.  I headed out, stopping at the VC to get a new brochure, the old one having been damaged.  I then went to check-in for my boat tour.  That was when I learned some good news.  We would be back on land at 12:30 PM, so maybe the 9:30 AM departure was actually the original schedule.

We soon boarded the small boat with about 20 passengers, including small kids of various ages, and we were underway.  Before long, we landed at the island, and then I discovered a bit of an issue.  (It’s ironic because, I was walking from my hotel this morning, I was thinking there is a ranking of negative things that could occur while I’m travelling: disaster, problem, issue.)  The issue was that we have climb a sea ladder to get to the beach.  That meant, I couldn’t wear my cargo shorts, and there would be issues to bring my brochure, water bottle, and cigar ashore, all of which were necessary to properly claim the NPS Unit.  Well, there was a solution.  I changed into my bathing suit, put my water bottle, cell phone, brochure, cigar, and lighter into the plastic bag, and one of the crew members kept the bag over her head as I went ashore.  That worked.

The NPS sign was right ashore, so I first took that picture.  Then, I lit up my Don Carlos the cigar I had been saving for this occasion, took my ceremonial picture, and declared, “United States Virgin Islands Complete.”  I had done it.  I was very proud of myself, and rightly so.

I then walked around a bit and found an even better spot, where I took some more pictures.  It was so scenic, one of the most beautiful places I had ever been.  In fact, it reminded very much of an Island from Moana, even though this was the Caribbean and that was the South Pacific.

Before long, it was time to go back aboard, and I put everything (other than my cigar) back in the bag, and we repeated the process.  We then looped around the island and moored in the reef.  I didn’t want to snorkel, so I stayed aboard.  I sat down in spot with a good view of the island, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as we are about to return to the island of Saint Croix.


San Juan, Puerto Rico

At long last, I have arrived at the spot of the inscription photo for this WHS, which means my trip is winding down.  It has been an intense hour of seeing the WHS and making up for what I didn’t get to do without my folder when I came here a decade ago, but it’s all been done now.  All that remains is to take a ceremonial picture at the Capitol before I can say, “American Caribbean Complete,” and fly home.  It’s been a great trip, and I am very much looking forward to the final reckoning.  I have about an hour before I need to leave for the airport, and I don’t want to use all of that time, so I will be brief.

After I closed on the boat, we soon took off and headed back to Saint Croix.  They passed around some rum punch, and I only wanted one small cup, having already had some straight rum while I wrote my entry, but the captain was insistent.  I had three, and it hit me hard.  Very hard.  I actually had trouble walking straight when we got ashore.  As I mentioned, timing was tight.  Very tight.  Everything was planned to a tee, and I had faith in my ability to execute it, but there was almost no margin for error.

I called Andy immediately to confirm my 1 PM pickup, and then I walked to the Eastern National shop to get my souvenirs.  I was all set.  I went back to the hotel and changed and repacked.  It was a couple of minutes after 1 PM, and Andy wasn’t there yet.  I called him again, and he was on his way.  We got to the airport exactly at 1:30 PM for my 2:30 PM flight.

The Seaborne counter had no passengers, so I feared for the worst, but they said I was fine.  Then came the next hurdle: border control.  I didn’t have my passport, so I didn’t know what to expect.  There was almost no line, and I handed the officer my driver’s license.  He took a verbal declaration of my citizenship and asked a few questions.  That was that.  I went through security, and then I was at my gate.  So far, so good.  I got lunch (hot dog, chips, and soda), but the Seaborne counter was empty, so I started panicking again, but, at 2:15 PM, they announced our flight.  We boarded immediately.

It was a very short flight and we landed at 3 PM, ahead of schedule.  I realized that I could just check my bag with JetBlue so that I wouldn’t have to lug it around San Juan.  It was a bit of a trek, and I had to clear the bag with USDA.  It was now 3:30 PM, still on schedule.  I took a taxi to Old San Juan, and the driver messed up, causing him to have to take a long loop around, but I was at the VC by 4 PM.  That was perfect timing.

I got my brochure and went to get my stamps and souvenirs.  The clerk was very impressed with my WHS folder.  She had clearly never seen anything like it before.  Well, it is a unique thing, nothing else like it in the world, most like.  I took my time stamping, making sure I didn’t miss anything, and then I found out where to find the Plaque, more Stamps, and the inscription spot.  I figured it would take at least an hour.

I went to the Plaque, and I found a nice gentleman who took my pictures exactly the way I wanted, on his first attempt, no less.  It was now 4:30 PM.  I lit up a Montecristo Open Eagle and took some ceremonial pictures.  I walked from there to El Morro, where I went a decade ago.  It was very hot, but it was worth the exhaustion.  At least it wasn’t raining like last time.

I got a Stamp at the guardhouse and then went inside the plaza.  There was another Plaque there, this one rusted from the salt water, and this must have been the one I saw last time.  I found another gentleman to take my picture there and then got another Stamp and more souvenirs.  That was that.

It was short walk to La Fortaleza, which was the spot of the inscription photo.  I took my traditional and ceremonial photos there, and I was done.  I sat down in the shade, in view of the inscription photo, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head to the Capitol and fly home.  Again, I am quite proud of myself and rightly so.



Luis Munoz Marin International Airport, Puerto Rico (SJU)


Ah, at long last, the triumphant airport entry, and it is surely a triumph.  This trip went perfectly, and that is quite an accomplishment.  Perfectly planned, perfectly executed, and elegant to boot.  I have done enough reflection on my love the Antilles, so all that remains is the final reckoning.  I think I would say that this has been my top trip to the Caribbean so far, for the simple fact that it was so elegant and so relaxing.  Cuba had late nights, and the Hispaniola trip didn’t have the same allure.  The trips shorter than 3 days do not compare.

That just leaves the two Passover trips I took.  Both of those have the added draw of three new countries and a new WHS, while this was entirely in the United States and just had a revisit of a WHS.  The 2013 trip also had the benefit of being first.  However, the natural beauty and cultural heritage of the American Caribbean wins out.  It also wins out because it had the draw of being my last trip to the Antilles for quite some time, and it is being considered in light of the upcoming trips to Canada, Iceland/Greenland, and American Oceania (Hawaii et al).  I loved being in the capital in Saint Thomas, I loved the beauty of the National Park in Saint John, and I loved the history of Saint Croix.  There was not a bad moment in the whole trip, and that counts for something.  It was a perfect trip.  That all matters.

As for the other trips, I do not think this can crack the top ten.  It fails easily against the extended trips, including Israel and TLGSRTA/Canadian Prairie, since that trip was equally relaxing, and it had even more natural beauty and almost as much cultural heritage.  It fails against Israel, since that was special in a way this was not.  However, I think it beats Baja, since it had more variety, and Baja had failures in a way this did not.  It also fails against CA-4, since that trip was also close to perfect, and it was very ambitious.  That trip had a good mix of natural and cultural beauty.  So, in other words, this places Top Fifteen, but not Top Ten.  I suppose that is all the reckoning that needs to be done, and the triumphant airport entry has its place.  I will wrap up so that I can publish and close.

After I closed at La Fortaleza, I soon found a taxi and told her what I wanted to do. We stopped at the Capitol, where I took my ceremonial picture.  That was that.  I had done it.  I made my pronouncement.  “Puerto Rico Complete.  American Caribbean Complete.  Time to go home.”  I was very proud of my accomplishment.  Soon enough, we were at the airport, and I got out of the taxi.  I checked my bag and all my pockets and started to walk away.  My taxi driver reminded me that I had forgotten my souvenir bag.  That would have been a seriously problem, almost disaster-level.  I would have forgotten it if she hadn’t mentioned it.

I went to security, which was closed.  That meant I had to loop all the way around, and it was quite a trek.  After security, I went to Duty-Free to get some Bacardi.  From there, I walked to the A-Gates, which was where JetBlue had there gates and went to Popeyes for dinner.  I was starving.  I got my usual: chicken strips, fries, and a biscuit.  They didn’t have seltzer, so I opted for water.  I was very thirsty.  I then went back to my gate and sate down, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, along with closing out this epic trip.  Next stop: Florida Panhandle, after two weekends in Scarsdale.

No comments:

Post a Comment