Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, April 28, 2017

The First 100 Days - Day 0 - "Open for Business"

“The First 100 Days”


4/28/17, “Open for Business”
Washington, District of Columbia


If I were writing this entry from Annapolis or Austin, Richmond or Raleigh, I would make sure to find a nice spot where I could get a good establishing shot of the state capitol building.  Well, here in Washington, our nation’s capital, of course I am writing this entry in view of the national capitol building, where, earlier today, Congress passed a last-minute bill keeping our federal government open for business through the end of the week.

As a libertarian, I am drastically opposed to almost all federal government spending, especially what is called “entitlement spending.”  When our Founding Fathers included the phrase “To promote the general Welfare” in the preamble, they did not mean it the way it is used today.  In fact, Alexander Hamilton, the newfound hero of the left, would be rolling over in his grave if he saw what constitutes modern welfare programs.  Spending on defense is way out of hand.  Again, these peacekeeping and nation building programs were not what our Founding Fathers meant when they said “to provide for the common Defense.”  Precisely zero tax dollars should go to military spending that does not directly protect American interests.  The fact that we fund half of NATO is beyond ridiculous.  As for domestic spending, again, that is out of control, but one particular domestic agency that is at complete odds with my libertarianism is actually very near and dear to my heart.  That is the National Park Service.

Why?  Because I want to visit each and every of the 400+ National Park Sites in our country, and the fact that they are nationally recognized is what makes them significant.  The fact that they almost all have a similar-looking federally-printed brochure is what makes collecting them fun.  The stamps, though, are right in line with my libertarianism.  They are produced by a company called Eastern National that sells passport books for the NPS units and gives away the stamps for free to the parks so that they can entice people to buy the passport books.  It’s a great business model, and it’s one of my favorite parts of visiting the NPS units, even though it is actually the free brochures that I get stamped (and instead buy a lapel pin from Eastern National).

However, while I am a fan of the National Park Service, I wholeheartedly reject other federal conservation programs, such as the National Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management as a needless and, in my view, unconstitutional, examples of federal overreach.  As a libertarian, I am even opposed to local government control of this vast swaths of land, but let’s stick to federal overreach for the moment.

Since Donald J. Trump was sworn in as the 45th President of the United States, an event I witnessed not far from this very spot almost 100 days ago, America has been open for business, with President Trump easing overburdening regulations and allowing profitable on federal lands.  It has been great, a libertarian’s dream come true.  I just wish he had gone further, and my number one complaint is that the stupid piece of legislation now known as Obamacare has not been repealed.  They had the votes, but they didn’t do it.  A clean repeal was not should have been done, but they refused to advance that, but I will talk more tomorrow about Trump’s First 100 Days.  Now, I have to talk about my Day 0.

It was a hectic and chaotic Day 0, far more than it should have been.  I didn’t see my movie last night, since it got terrible reviews.  I didn’t even pack, either, since my laundry wasn’t ready.  It was a crazy day at the office, one of the craziest I’ve ever had, due to a bizarre number of large projects all becoming due in a short time frame (and being assigned all this week).  I got my usual pre-departure lunch from Hop Won, shrimp with lobster sauce this time, and brought it back to my desk, since we were so busy.

Once I finished the project I was working on, I went back home to pick up my laundry and get ready and changed and pack.   There was a lot left to do at the office when I got back, and it all took longer that it should have taken.  Finally, at 6 PM, my mother met me at the office, and we headed down.  She wanted to take the subway, and I wanted to bike.  Besides, I had left my Graycliff from earlier by the bikes.  I retrieved my cigar, and it was a bit of a wait for a bike, which actually meant that she got there before I did.

We got our tickets and then went to get dinner.  I went to the combined KFC and Taco Ball and got a nice assortment.  The atmosphere was as to be expected of Penn Station at that hour.  After dinner, I wanted a coffee, so we went to the Tim Horton’s, and it seemed they were out of coffee, but we could not get a straight answer from the cashier oddly.  Eventually, we just walked away and went to Dunkin Donuts, which had plenty of coffee.

It was soon time to board, and we found two seats together.  I spent most of the train ride playing Zelda, and I made some good progress, though I didn’t make as much progress this week as I had hoped, since I got waylaid doing a lot of side quests and cleanup stuff.  We got to Union Station and took a taxi to the hotel.

There was only one word to describe the hotel: opulent.  Everything was covered in gold and “yuge.”  The room was just as opulent.  I was quite thirsty and wanted a soda, which caused a bit of an incident that does not need to be recounted here.  I then went out to the National Mall, asking the receptionist where “the mall” was.  She thought I meant a small collection of shops that was “not really a mall.”  Apparently, they don’t call the National Mall “the mall.”  I found a spot with great view of the Capitol, where I sat down, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, having to constantly shift to avoid the sprinklers, which I will now close so that I can publish and get back to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment