Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

NFL - Day 5 - The Return Journey

7/5/17, “The Return Journey”

Toronto Pearson International Airport, Ontario (YYZ)


And so another great trip comes to an end.  I have seen the final four World Heritage Sites in North America, and I am ready to go home.  The trip was excellent on every level, but it was not easy.  In fact, the difficulty of the trip, and the success with which I overcame the adversity the trip provided was part of what made it so great.  I have travelled so frequently to Canada over the past five years, and it saddens me to know that I will not return for quite some time after this trip.  It seems, however, that I have saved the best province for last.

While I have enjoyed the ultimate Pacific Northwest in British Columbia, the ruggedness of the Prairies, the cultural wonders of Ontario and Quebec, and the waterscapes of the Maritimes, my love is given to the morning, to this easternmost province, to Newfoundland and Labrador.  Why?  Well, in no small part because it is indistinguishable from Greenland, as I have been saying, and I recently called Greenland the most beautiful place I have ever visited.

I wrote about how this trip was in many ways the companion trip to my trip of ice and fire, and I ranked Greenland as a top five trip of all time, which, in retrospect, seems to high of rank, as the end of the trip drained a lot of the positive energy I had felt from the first two parts.  This trip ranks very highly among the extended weekend trips, but it cannot contend with the longer trips for a spot in even the top ten.

What if, however, I considered these two trips as the same trip?  Well, then, surely the combined trip would have earned its spot in the top five.  I would like to think of it that way, rather than doing a final reckoning.  This trip is too closely related to the trip of ice and fire, and only separated by one weekend, not to consider it that way.  The map shows how close these places are, and my pictures show that they are even closer than a map could.

This trip, however, was also the follow-up trip to my trip to the Maritimes last year.  It got off to a similar rough start, and it ended much the same way, on the Fourth of July, in the capital, smoking a cigar on the waterfront as I wrote my entry, after seeing a WHS (or 3), and then walking back to my hotel to smoke my trusty Ardor and publish, hoping to get two full REM cycles before I drove to the airport.  That is exactly what I did my last night in Nova Scotia, and it is exactly what I did last night in Newfoundland.

After I closed, I headed to the hotel, lit up my trusty Ardor, and published my entry.  I then went upstairs to pack and organize before I passed out.  I had my eyes closed for three hours, but I do not think I got two full REM cycles.  I woke up refreshed, though I knew I would pay the price if I did not get more sleep.  I headed to the airport, which was a short drive and dropped off my car.

I checked in and proceeded to security, my Global Entry card allowing me to skip the line.  I almost lost my longship in this process, but I was able to recover it.  I then went to the gate, and we soon boarded.  I slept through the flight, and, as I was drifting off, I thought I heard the captain say that all flights in and out of Pearson were being held due to weather, but I chalked it up to a sleep-deprived hallucination.

Three hours later, ahead of schedule, we landed at Pearson with clear skies and beautiful weather.  It was a bit of a process to circle around, going through security and border control and getting to my gate, but we were still early.  I bought up a bottle of maple syrup with the rest of my Canadian money and then used one of my food vouchers to get a bagel sandwich, a coffee, and two cookies for later.  I still have one left, so I might have to get a bunch of chips for the week or something.  The sandwich was decent and filling, but the coffee was much better.  I then headed to my gate, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish, along with closing out this trip.  Next stop: San Francisco to see Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment