Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Virginia - Day 0 - A Busy Summer

“Virginia”


7/21/17, “A Busy Summer”
Richmond, Virginia


I suppose this dateline is not as glamorous as some of the other datelines I have entered into this Travelogue.  I suppose this building is not as impressive as some of the other establishing shots that have begun entries around the world, but not every trip can be to the Great Wall or the Taj Mahal.  For starters, there are only seven Wonders of the World, and I’ve already been to all seven.  There are 417 units of the National Park Service.  I want to see them all.  This trip will bring my count over 300.

There are fifty state capitols, five territorial capitols, and an administrative building in the District of Columbia, along with the national Capitol.  I want to see them all.  This building marks number 38, and it is a special one, as it served as the Confederate Capitol during the Civil War.  That count will soon be up to 40, after I have been to Annapolis and Honolulu, along with having visited all five territorial capitol buildings and the administrative building in DC.

That is what this summer has become.  A series of brute force domestic road trips.  Including this weekend, I be visiting, I think, over twenty new NPS units before I leave for Hawaii, maybe closer to 30.  When I last wrote from SFO, I was talking about how open my summer was.  Not so anymore.  It has become busy.  These trips, along with the NHL run in Westchester and NRHP run in Scarsdale will utilize each weekend before I leave for Hawaii.

It will be a draining summer, to be sure, and I wonder if I overburdened myself.  It will all culminate with my trip to American Oceania, which will, at last, enable me to say, “US Complete.”  That does not mean all 417 NPS units and all 50 State Capitols.  Sure, I will be 80% of the way to both of those goals, but completion of those goals will have to wait for my 30s, and they were not among the goals that I set for myself to achieve by the time I turn 30.

Okay, so I don’t have much to write about Day 0, and I actually suppose I have more to say about Night -1.  As usual, it was another dinner and movie night with the K-Man, a WWII-themed edition.  We would go to a German beer hall and see Dunkirk.  We had planned to allow two full hours at the beer hall and a cigar before the movie, but he was late from the airport, so we only had an hour at the beer hall and note enough time for a full cigar.  That did not lessen the amount of food or alcohol we intended to consume, but trying to consume two hours’ worth of food and alcohol in one hour was a major tactical error.

We each ordered a “boot” of beer, which is two liters, just shy of a six-pack.  Forget the amount of alcohol, trying to consume two liters of a carbonated beverage in an hour, with food, is a fool’s errand.  We also got a basket of pretzels with dips and a platter of sausages.  In two hours, we would have had no problem consuming it all.  In an hour, we failed, miserably.  The K-Man, true to form, consumed about half of his portion, eating half of a pretzel and a quarter of the platter of sausage and drinking half of his boot of beer.

In a decision I would soon come to regret, I pointed to the door and announced that I would be ashamed to walk out that door without finishing my boot.  I also had to pick up the slack on the sausages, and I ate a whole pretzel.  That’s what’s called a contributing factor to what would later occur.  I struggled with the boot, again, more because of the volume of liquid than anything else, but I managed to finish it.  I took one pretzel and one sausage link to go, and we were off.

I would say that we walked from the beer hall to the theatre, but I think using the term “walked” gives to fluidity of my motion too much credit.  We each smoked a Prensado on the “walk.”  The theatre was on Third Avenue and 59th Street.  I was good until I got to 57th Street, which was when I came to regret finishing the boot.  I will leave the details to my reader’s imagination.  The movie was certainly well-done, and it was very interesting, but it had no real dialogue and almost no acting.  It was more an experience than anything else.  I wound up forgetting my food at the theatre.  After the movie, we took a cab back to my place, and said our goodbyes.  I finished my cigar and packed for my trip.

I had a productive day at work, but it was broken up by having to go uptown for some radiography, but I was told that I needed an appointment, in sharp contrast to what I had been told by my doctor’s office.  I got sesame chicken from the Chinese restaurant across the street and biked back to the office with the rest of the Graycliff I had lit up for the ride up.  I finished what I needed to do at work and then headed to the car rental place.

It was a bit of a process to get the car, and we were not out of the garage until 6 PM.  The place was at Eighth Avenue and 44th Street, but it still took close to an hour to get to the Lincoln Tunnel.  After that, it was an easy enough drive, and I didn’t even need GPS until I got to Richmond, as it was just a straight shot on I-95.  I started with my traditional Davidoff Yamasa Toro, and I put on “Red” once we got on the highway.

We stopped at one of New Jersey’s iconic rest stops for dinner and gas.  I got a burger, onion rings, and a milkshake, followed by a coffee, which I knew would easily last me until lunch tomorrow.  I then lit up an LFD.  We soon saw the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and we drove without stopping.  My next cigar was a Perdomo.  About half past midnight, we were in Richmond, and our hotel was about two minutes off of the highway, in the heart of downtown Richmond.

We went to the room to drop off our bags, and I didn’t even change, a decision I now regret, it being 80 degrees at night, and my long pants causing me much misery.  We then walked towards the State Capitol, and Pablo continued on to the McDonald’s.  I was shocked to find the plaza around the State Capitol closed overnight.  That was a first.

I looped around to find a place to sit in view of the Capitol.  Fortunately, the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit was right across the street.  It had a nice view and, being federal property, was not subject to the rules of the State of Virginia.  I sat down on the wall, lit up an Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get back to my hotel to get to sleep.  We have to be on the road at 6 AM, and I will be thrilled if I can get two full REM cycles.

No comments:

Post a Comment