Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Virginia - Day 1 - Civil War (Or: A Jam-Packed Day)

7/22/17, “Civil War” (Or: “A Jam-Packed Day”) Richmond, Virginia


In my travels, I have come to realize that it is the most random things that mean the most to me.  For all the days like this one, racing from site to site to get my Stamps and Plaques, every once in a while, there comes a moment when it hits me hard, “History happened here.”  There comes that moment when I close my eyes and see Generals Grant and Lee shaking hands at the very spot I am standing.  There comes the moment when I realize the significance of the fact that I have visited 38 State Capitol buildings (enough to ratify a constitutional amendment).

That was what I felt today at Appomattox Court House and here in Richmond.  It is something I never felt at the Taj Mahal or the Great Wall.  It is something I have felt at random places, such as the bridge in Sarajevo where Archduke Ferdinand was shot, beginning World War I, or at Sir George Mallory’s birthplace, knowing that I would be staring at Mount Everest in just two short days.

On the natural side of the things, the equivalent would be when I find some secluded spot that gives me a marvelous vista to myself.  That was not something I felt when I first did see Everest, but it was something I felt all over Greenland.  I always get asked what’s the most interesting places I’ve been to, or my favorite, or some variation of that question.  People are shocked when I reply with northern Canada and Greenland, rather than Japan or the Caribbean.  No one thinks of sitting on a rock behind a hotel in Yellowknife to be some memorable experience, but that spot is one of my most vivid travel memories.  Qassiarsuk is hardly a tourist hotspot, but I will never forget sitting on Erik the Red’s farm.

I design my trips around Stamps and Plaques, but it is these random moments and memories that make it all worthwhile.  It is the cigar shops in Columbia, South Carolina and pubs in Nottingham that make it fun.  Sure, saying, “I’ve seen all the Wonders of the World,” is a talking point, but Everest or the Taj Mahal are not what I want to talk about when people ask me about my travels.  It’s places like Greenland and Nottingham and state capitals that really keep me going.

After I closed last night, I headed back to my hotel, hoping to be able to get two full REM cycles.  I did not.  It was 6:30 AM by the time we got on the road, and we would not return for thirteen hours, the vast majority of which would be spent driving.  I was seriously concerned about my ability to do that with less than two full REM cycles.  I got a coffee for the road and lit up a Fuente.

To my shock, the cigar lasted the entire three-hour drive to Booker T. Washington National Monument.  This was where he was born and freed, and they reconstructed the farm.  I knew we would be in a mad rush the entire day, almost non-stop.  We would literally need to spend the bare minimum of time possible at each site.  Stamp, pin, cigar, ceremonial picture, back in the car with the cigar, and off to the next site.  That was the routine.  I lit up an Aging Room, and we found the spot of the brochure photo here, the only time we did it today.

Our next site was the one I was most looking forward to: Appomattox Court House.  I stopped for gas, coffee, and two breakfast biscuits, one of each of us.  Mine was country-fried steak, egg, and cheese.  It was good, cheap, and filling.  I did not want to stop to eat again until dinner.

When we got to Appomattox, it hit me.  History happened here.  Maybe the single biggest event in 19th Century American history occurred here.  It was over 100 degrees out, so time wasn’t the only reason we were now trying to minimize our time outdoors.  I lit up a PDR, and we went to the McLean House to take our ceremonial picture.  In case my reader isn’t brushed up on American history, this was where General Robert E. Lee surrendered to General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the Civil War.

From there we went back in time, to the spot of the battle that led to Grant’s victory at Appomattox: Petersburg.  Grant laid siege to the forces at Petersburg, driving them back to Appomattox.  With the Confederate capital of Richmond in sight, Grant then scored his final victory.  I lit up a Graycliff, and we took our ceremonial picture by the earthworks.  Now we were in full rush mode.  Time was running out.  There were three things left to do.  Since my last trip to Virginia, Fort Monroe had been newly designated as a National Monument.  I also recently learned that my brochure from Colonial National Historical Park was unstamped and that I didn’t have any good pictures at Monticello.

Fort Monroe NM closed at 4:30 PM, Yorktown Battlefield VC (part of Colonial NHP) at 5 PM, and Monticello at 7:30 PM.  I would not be able to do all three if I wanted to get dinner at the state’s “most iconic restaurant” in Williamsburg.  I would be lucky if I could get to two of them.  I chose Fort Monroe NM and Colonial NHP, saving Monticello for tomorrow.

We raced to Fort Monroe NM, but, being a newly designated NM, it did not have NPS facilities.  However, there was a museum inside the fort with brochures and Stamps.  We lost about ten precious minutes working through this confusion.  It was 39 minutes to the Yorktown Battlefield VC.  They closed at 5:00 PM.  I wanted to leave Fort Monroe at 4:16 PM.  It would be very tight.  We raced through the museum, I lit up a Perdomo, and we took some ceremonial pictures, but they didn’t come out right.  Fuck.  We needed to retake them, wasting 2 precious minutes.

We got in the car, and my GPS showed a 4:59 PM arrival at the Yorktown Battlefield VC.  I did not see how a 4:59 PM soft arrival could translate into a 5 PM hard arrival, so I had to count on the VC being open a few minutes late.  We made up a few minutes on the road and we somehow got to the parking lot at 4:57 PM.  Two-minute drill.  We were inside the VC at 4:59 PM.  We made it.  Then I learned that they did not have the old brochures, only separate brochures for Jamestown and Yorktown.  I didn’t care.  I just needed any brochure to get stamped, but I wished I had brought my old brochure.  I got my pin just as they announced the VC was closing.

The battlefield itself was open until dark, and I still had plenty of Perdomo left.  We could now relax.  We headed to the battlefield to take a ceremonial picture.  That’s when we heard the thunder.  Back to rushing to avoid getting caught in the storm.  We took our ceremonial picture and raced to the car when we saw lightning.  The skies opened up not so much as a minute after we got in the car.

From there it was Williamsburg, not to see the colonial town, but rather to get BBQ at the state’s “most iconic restaurant,” Pierce’s Pitt Bar-B-Que.  I have now been to half of them.  I expected it to be like the one in Texas, the Salt Lick, but it was actually more like Arthur Bryant’s In Kansas.  The cashier recommended their JC combo, which was a pulled pork sandwich, fries, and a soda.  Perfect.  It was delicious, and the sauce was excellent.  After dinner, we got in the car, I lit up an Aganorsa Leaf cigar, a new cigar by Casa Fernandez that I had gotten at Smoklahoma.  It was surprisingly good.

We were soon back at our hotel in Richmond.  We resituated ourselves and headed out to the State Capitol.  I retrieved my cigar, and we first went to the Executive Mansion, which was adjacent.  I tried to recall the name of the governor.  Then it hit me.  Terry McAuliffe.  I looked it up to cofirm that I was right.  I was.

We continued around to the State Capitol and took a picture from the same spot first of the US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, then, after I ditched my cigar, of the State Capitol.  Pablo then went to McDonald’s, and I went to a bench, where I sat down, lit up my trusty Ardor, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and head to the local cigar shop.  Tomorrow will be another early day, one focused on our Founding Fathers, rather than the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment