Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 8, 2017

The City by the Bay - Day 1 - The Home Front

7/8/17, “The Home Front”

San Francisco, California


I could sit here forever.  I have a great view of the San Francisco skyline, am sitting in a comfortable chair, and am smoking my favorite pipe.  When people think of World War II, the Bay Area is probably the last place that comes to mind, yet it played a key role in the war efforts on the home front.  That is what today was about, visiting the sites that memorialized the home front.  As I learned today, this was an effort predominantly carried by blacks and women.

While white men were fighting the enemy over there, the home front was how blacks and women were allowed to contribute to the war effort, in contrast to the integration we have now.  Whether it was black men loading munitions at Port Chicago or women working at factories and shipyards in Richmond, the effort they put in on the home front was no less noble, nor any less dangerous, than the work that white men were allowed to do in Europe and the Pacific.

There were many fronts in World War II, and my time in American Oceania later this summer will visit many such sites, from Pearl Harbor to Guam to Saipan, but we cannot forget the war that was fought on the home front.

After I closed last night, I fell asleep almost as soon as I got back to my room, and I managed to get two full REM cycles before I headed down for breakfast.  I then experienced something that I may have never experienced at a hotel before: a wait for a breakfast table.  I was starving, so this annoyed me.  The hotel was at capacity, and it was not equipped to handle its full capacity.  Soon enough, I was seated, and it was more of a wait to get coffee, which I knew I would need before I would get my first plate, as the last thing I wanted was to have a plate of food with no coffee.  When the coffee came, I headed to the buffet to get my cold plate.  The highlight was a mini bagel with cream cheese and lox.  I also got a slice of bread with various meats and cheeses.  I felt like I was back in Scandinavia.

I then went back for my hot food.  I got two mini waffles, two fried eggs, potatoes, and sausage, but, they were out of bacon.  How?  HOWHOWHOWHOWHOW?!?  How could a buffet be out of bacon?  They weren’t even on top of it.  The next batch was still cooking, when they should have had the batch ready before the current batch ran out.  The quality of the food earned the buffet a B+, but the service brought it down to a B-.  My hot food was getting cold while I waited for the bacon.  On the plus side, though, they had small jars of real maple syrup, and I got one jar for my plate of food and two more to take with me.  Finally, the bacon came out, and I filled the rest of my plate with bacon.  The plate was delicious, and I was outraged that a 15% service charge (on top of the expensive charge for the meal).  “For what?” I asked myself.

I then headed up to my room to resituate myself and head out.  The main event for the day was to go to Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial, which was actually the whole reason for the trip.  I had to be at John Muir National Historic Site (not Muir Woods National Monument, which I had previously visited) at 12:45 PM for the shuttle to the memorial, so I would actually be getting two sites in one.  I had hoped to stop at Eugene O’Neil National Historic Site on the way in and Rosie the Riveter/WWII Home Front National Historical Park on the way back.

I calculated I would need to leave my hotel at 10:15 AM, a hard 10:30 AM departure, if I wanted to stop at Eugene O’Neil NHS on the way.  It was 10:30 AM by the time I got to the valet station, and it was another fifteen minutes before I had my car.  I was now very annoyed that I would not be able to stop at Eugene O’Neil NHS.  I was about twenty minutes short, and I knew that the delays in being seated, the coffee, the bacon, and the time spent waiting for the car were the difference between making it and missing it.  I would have to go straight to John Muir NHS.  I lit up a Fuente and drove to the NHS.

It was in the 60s when I left SF, and the drive was less than an hour.  Before long, I noticed that the air coming into the car was oddly warm.  I then looked at the dashboard and saw that the outdoor temperature was 95 degrees.  My phone confirmed that these temperatures were, in fact, that disparate.  Separated by less than 30 miles, the temperatures were 30 degrees apart.  Soon enough, I was at the VC for John Muir NHS, and it was scorching out.  The time was now 11:45 AM.  It was a dry heat, but, still, it was in the high 90s.

I went inside to the VC, got my brochure and stamps, for both this site and Port Chicago Naval Magazine NMem, and got two pins (both for John Muir NHS).  I then retrieved my cigar and walked around the homestead.  I do not need to tell my reader who John Muir was, but, unbeknownst to me, he took up a life as a fruit rancher, and this was his home.  There were plenty of fruit trees on the grounds, along with his house.  I finished my Fuente as I walked around and then took a look inside the house before returning to the VC.

I then saw that they had a third pin and that one of the pins was also made the same design in a keychain.  I knew that I would have buyer’s remorse if I didn’t get those, so I asked if I could swap the pins and also buy the keychain.  The ranger said I could, and we worked it out.  At 12:45 PM, we began the program for the NMem.  It started with a lecture on the accident, the deadliest accident on the home front.  320 deaths as a result of a munitions explosion, due in no small part to not following proper safety procedures.  The workers were all black, and the officers were all white.  The blacks were undertrained, a point that they constantly made, even asking for a training manual.  They were not given a training manual because, in the infinite wisdom of their white superiors, the black workers were too stupid to know how to read a training manual.

The ranger talked about how the survivors were traumatized and refused to return to work after the accident, many of them court martialed and jailed for continuing to refuse, while others did wind up going back to work.  He talked about how we fortunately now have better ways to deal with PTSD.  A member of the group asked about the difference between “shell shock” and PTSD, wondering if his understanding was correct that shell shock refers more to a flaw in the person, while PTSD is more environmental factors.  The ranger asked if anyone could answer the question, as he could not.  This was my chance.

Using what I learned in Intro to Psych last semester and improvising a little, I raised my hand.  I explained that PTSD is a broader term and a more clinical one, that PTSD could refer to many things beyond loud noises, such as a dog bite or the death of someone close.  I explained that there were many ways to get PTSD in the context of a war beyond just gun fire and artillery explosions.  I also explained that PTSD was a term that was more clinically defined, so that it is just a better term to use in a modern context, while “shell shock” is outdated.  The ranger (and tour group) was clearly impressed with my answer, and he thanked me, saying that he does not like to “guess out loud.”  I have no such qualms.

We soon left for the memorial, which is on active base.  It was actually the second least-visited unit of the NPS second only to a site in the Aleutian Islands, due to the onerous access restrictions.  You have to register in advance and pass a background check to be allowed on-base.  It was a bit of process to get to the memorial, passing through an PASS and ID office, but we were soon there.  We were allowed to wonder on our own, up and down an area much smaller than a football field, maybe more like the size of an Olympic swimming pool.  I separated from the group so that I could light up my Romeo y Julieta.  It was over 100 degrees now.  I took my ceremonial picture and maintained my distance from the group, close enough to hear the ranger, far enough that no one complained about my cigar.

There was an older couple that was doing their own thing, and the man had a Labrador shirt.  The area in Canada, not the dog.  We talked about our trips there, and, soon enough, it was time to go back.  I was in my car at 3:15 PM.  My reader will note that that was three-and-a-half hours after I parked my car.  I knew that I would not have enough time for both Eugene O’Neil NHS and Rosie the Riveter NHP.  While I was on the bus back, I checked the times for Eugene O’Neil NHS, and I learned that it was only available by timed tours, and I realized that it would have been impossible to visit this morning.  In fact, if I had been on schedule this morning, I wouldn’t have even checked, and I would have learned, with great disappointment, that I had gone there for nought.

I would get a late lunch at In-N-Out Burger, the state’s most iconic fast food restaurant, and then continue to Rosie the Riveter NHP.  I made a reservation to do a tour at Eugene O’Neil NHS tomorrow.  I got the In-N-Out and order a simple meal from their simple menu: a double cheeseburger, animal fries, and a chocolate shake.  I hadn’t eaten since breakfast.  The food was cheaper than McDonald’s and much better.  It took time, since they cook it fresh, but it was good, so good.

I was done a little after 4 PM, and, as I was about to leave the parking lot, I got a call from Eugene O’Neil NHS.  When I picked up the phone, I asked, “Is this Eugene O’Neil?”  I half expected him to say either, “No, this is [Joe Schmoe],” or, “Eugene O’Neil is long dead, but this is the National Historic Site.”  He merely said that it was.  He confirmed my reservation for 2 PM, which was perfect timing and would allow me to visit San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park and Point Reyes National Seashore before the tour.  Then, after the tour, I could go straight to the Old Clam House for dinner before my flight back home.  If it goes well, I will, at last, be able to say, “Bay Area Complete,” tomorrow.

I headed to Rosie the Riveter NHP, and there was a bit of a confusion with the GPS.  I wound up stopping at a turn, putting on my flashers, and confirming the directions on my phone.  As I was doing this, a cop car pulled up and slowed down.  I thought for sure he would pull me over.  He did not.  Remembering everything I learned today, I wondered if my skin color saved me a ticket.  Sandra Bland was pulled over for much less.  I concluded in the affirmative that it very well may have.

I cleared up the confusion and continued to the NHP.  It was a bit of more confusion to find the VC, and I got there fifteen minutes before it closed.  It was at a repurposed Ford Assembly plant, next some shipyards.  This was great place to memorialize the contribution women made on the home front.  The temperature was now in the 60s with a brisk wind.  I was actually cold.  I had lit up an Aroma de Cuba after lunch, but the wind put it out as I walking to the VC, so I was able to bring it inside with me.  After doing my business at the VC and walking around the museum, I went back outside, relit my cigar, and took my ceremonial picture.

I then headed back to the car and drove back to my hotel, hitting some brutal traffic before I went over the Bay Bridge.  It was almost 6:30 PM, which put me way behind schedule for the evening.  Further, I was not hungry, having had such a large and late lunch.  I went to my room, resituated myself, and headed up to the roof, where I sat down in view of the SF skyline, sat down, lit up my trusty Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish.  I was supposed to go to Chinatown for dinner, but now I’m not sure.  I have no appetite.  I might just crash when I get back to my room.

Oh, one more fun thing.  There is a cigar shop in the hotel, and I stopped there on the way to the roof.  They had ridiculously expensive pre-embargo Cubans, which were the same price for one stick as I would pay for a box at duty-free.  He tried to sell me those, pretty aggressively.  He then showed me the Dominican and Nicaraguan cigars, which were also drastically overpriced, just like the rest of the city.  He sneered at me, dressed in my cargo shorts, sandals, and t-shirts, as if I couldn’t afford them.  That was not the issue.  I just know how much cigars should cost, and they should not cost that much.  It was not worth the premium to sit in his cramped lounge, which was due to close in less than thirty minutes, anyway.  I just said that it was more than I wanted to spend and walked out to the roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment