Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, July 8, 2017

The City by the Bay - Day 0 - A Quick Turnaround

“The City by the Bay” (Or: “I Left My Heart in San Francisco”)


7/7/17, “A Quick Turnaround”
John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York (JFK)

Less than 60 hours ago, 56 to be precise, I was getting in a taxi in LaGuardia and marking the end of my trip to Newfoundland and Labrador.  Now, here I am at Kennedy about to fly to the City by the Bay.  In a bit of irony, it will actually be two months before I get on an airplane again, and, when I do, I will again be flying from JFK-SFO before I connect to OGG (Maui).

I left the summer open by design, in case anything went wrong, in case I needed to revisit somewhere or visit somewhere in service of my goals that I had not anticipated.  Well, everything went right.  I have now completed 12 of my 17 Goals, and this trip to the City by the Bay, while providing me an enjoyable time in the city itself, was planned to visit the nearby Port Chicago Naval Magazine National Memorial.  After that, the only places left to visit in service of my goals are found in American Oceania, and that trip will immediately precede (and include) my 30th Birthday, again, by design.

Sure, there will be some fun summer road trips, perhaps some National Historic Landmark runs locally, the last of the National Park Sites in the northeast, and other ways to get off the island of Manhattan or the Village of Scarsdale during the summer.  This trip, though, marks the last time I will get on a plane until I leave for Hawaii, and the quick turnaround was necessary to make it work the way it did.

Any good weekend trip begins the recounting of Night -1, Thursday, or, as I call it, the only day this week I both woke up and went to sleep in my own bed.  It was the night of the most-anticipated movie of the summer, a little movie called “Spider-Man: Homecoming”.  It had rave reviews, and, based on the trailers, it looked as good as the reviews promised.  Every showing was almost entirely sold out.  The K-Man was in Boston for the day, so he couldn’t make it, and I found a good single seat for the IMAX 3D showing.  I got my chicken fingers and curly fries, seltzer and popcorn.  I was ready for this.

About twenty minutes into the movie, the humor that carried his cameo in Civil War started to get boring.  I figured that they would keep it fresh with a compelling story.  He then kept screwing up, and didn’t stop.  After about half an hour of it, I figured that was just the first act, and the second act would be his transformation, which would have been the proper the pacing.  Or at least at would have been if I was writing it.  He spent another hour screwing up without any sign of redemption.  It was groanworthy.  Then, finally, in the last fifteen minutes he redeems himself, Tony forgives him and offers to make him an Avenger, and Pepper makes an unexpected cameo.

It was too little, too late.  He turns down Tony, decides he wants to just be the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, and the movie ends a few minutes later.  I wanted to scream.  The third act was missing.  The third act should have been him being the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man, and they could have spent half an hour of him screwing up, not almost the entire movie.  I couldn’t remember the last time I was so let down by a movie.

I refilled my soda and popcorn and headed back to my apartment, stopping to pick up my laundry, all fifteen pounds of it.  Now, reader, how was I going to manage my bucket of popcorn, my jug of soda, and fifteen pounds of laundry?  I was trying to figure it all out, when a woman, trying to be helpful, offered to hold something for me while I worked on grabbing everything.  That wasn’t the problem.  The problem was that I would need to carry all things back to my apartment without spilling.  The solution was put the popcorn bucket in the crook of my elbow and hold the jug of soda in that hand and to carry my laundry with my other arm.

Even before I was out of view of the laundromat, I realized that I didn’t have my cell phone.  I had left it on the counter in all of the confusion.  I saw the manager through the window, running out the door, trying to catch up with me, I suppose, but I had already turned around and was heading back.  He handed me my cell phone, and I managed to get everything back to my apartment.  I decided I would travel very light, just my day bag for tobacco and electronics and a small tote bag for some clothes.

I got to the office early, as I knew I would need to leave early, and the day was slow and quiet, just like the rest of the week.  I got my pre-departure lunch from Hop Won, mixing it up a little bit by getting brown rice and a combination of boneless spare ribs and sweet and sour chicken, along wiith my egg roll and seltzer.

I then went to pick up my new glasses, which I had been informed were now ready.  At 5 PM, I left and took a car to the airport, falling asleep en route.  Security went quickly enough, and I was almost at the gate with over two hours before my flight.  I knew that they would serve dinner on the flight, so I just wanted a snack to tide me over, not a full meal, not a huge bag of chips.

That proved to be a challenge, but in the end, I was able to get a baguette with lox spread for a surprisingly reasonable price, especially by airport standards.  I ate half of it as I walked to my gate, where I sat down, I finished my sandwich, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close


San Francisco, California


Well, at last I have arrived here at the City by the Bay, the birthplace of progressivism, the heart of liberalism, Nancy Pelosi’s home district, and I have found here the thing I would least expect.  No, not a red MAGA hat, not a “My mother chose life, you should choose life, too” billboard, not pickup truck with a “I love my .45” bumper sticker.  No, what I found is a beautiful rooftop garden with a view of the tip of the Transamerica Pyramid, and the rooftop garden is, drumroll please, a designated smoking area.

I am glad to be here, not just on this rooftop, but in the City by the Bay.  With all the crazy trips I have done after the past few years, it will be nice to spend a weekend entirely within a 50-mile radius of my hotel.  Sure, I will pick up a few new NPS units, but I will have time to relax.  I will have time to explore the city, which will surely bring back memories of the times I visited as a child, and I will have to sleep.  I will need that last part.

After I closed at JFK, we soon boarded, and I knew that it would not be a quick departure.  Our scheduled departure time was 9:05 PM, and I put 10 PM as the over/under for getting off the ground.  It was over.  Way over.  I soon heard a southern drawl over the PA system from the cockpit.  The pilot was giving us far too much information, too many reassurances in my opinion.  He said that our new scheduled departure time was 9:30 PM, but we would fly faster, so we would actually get an on-time arrival.

I had hoped we would land at SFO around 12:30 AM.  I could get two full REM cycles on the plane and another three at my hotel.  That would be a good sleep.  We did push back around 9:30 PM, but the captain told us there were was a long line to taxi, and some departure corridors were closed due the weather, but he said that he would now be able to make up some time with a more direct route.  Around 10 PM, he was still hopeful for an on-time arrival, but I did not like these constant reassurances.  It felt off.

Around 10:30 PM, I started a movie, and there was no real progress yet.  I chose “Pretty in Pink,” noting with irony that it seems the only time I ever watch Molly Ringwald movies is on airplanes.  I watched “Sixteen Candles” when I flew to AMS and “The Breakfast Club” when I flew to ATH.  And now, on my way to SFO, continued the tradition with “Pretty in Pink.”  It was a classic John Hughes movie, and, while the humor does not translate to a modern viewing as well as “The Breakfast Club” did, and I was distracted by all the activity and constant PA announcements, it was perfectly enjoyable.

Around 11:30 PM, he told us that we were moving in to position and should be able to take off relatively soon, but he was obligated by the DOT to inform us that, if we hadn’t taken off by 12:30 AM, which marked three hours from the boarding doors closing, he would have to offload the plane.  Stupid government overreach.  He said, though, that he thought we would be airborne well before that.

A little before midnight, he said we were eighth or ninth in line to take off, and I calculated five minutes a plane, which would make it almost a photo finish, but he said it would actually be ten minutes total, only about a minute or two per plane.  A few minutes after midnight, we took off, my movie soon ended, and I was asleep almost the moment it ended.  I got three full REM cycles en route, waking up only for dinner, which consisted disappointingly of sesame noodles and sad piece of grilled chicken.

We landed around 2:30 AM PDT, and my reader will note that it was almost the exact same amount of time from when I left the taxi to when we were airborne as we spent in the air.  It was a bit of a process to get to the rental car place, and the thirty-minute drive to my hotel was mildly annoying, but I arrived at my hotel slightly before 4 AM.  They were doing their nightly cleaning, and it was hard to find staff.

I was staying at the Fairmont, as in, the original Fairmont hotel, the first one.  I suppose there is a bit of irony to that, as I have just said, “Canada Complete,” and the Fairmont is the hotel chain I stayed at most frequently during my travels to Canada.  In fact, I have stayed at a Fairmont hotel in every provincial capital outside of the Maritimes (though the Hotel Newfoundland was taken over from Fairmont by Sheraton), along with the one in the national capital of Ottawa.  This is a nice way of capping it, though it was not by design.

I checked in and learned about the rooftop smoking garden.  I headed to my room to resituate myself and change into my pajamas.  I then headed out to the garden and sat down in view of the Transamerica Pyramid, where I lit up my Ardor and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get another two or three REM cycles before my day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment