Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Saturday, December 27, 2014

Antarctica - Day 1 - The South

12/27/14
Aeroparque Jorge Newbery, Argentina (AEP)

It’s a checklist I’ve gone through a thousand times probably when I travel: passport, water bottle, laptop, cell phone.  In theory, I do it every time I change locations, especially when I am leaving a vehicle.  Well, I thought I did, at least.  By the time I got into the airport, I realized that one was missing.  Granted, it was the most easily replaceable, the one that had the least practical value for the trip, and the one that had no sentimental value other than the data on it.  Yes, reader, I lost my cell phone.  I had planned for this entry to be a bit of an essay on the south, but that will have to wait until I am en route, I think.  Anyway, the main problem was that everything I would do to attempt to recover my cell phone required the use of my cell phone.

I immediately went running out, but my driver was gone.  There was a slip of paper I was given with the cab company and the car number on that.  I left that in the cab.  With that paper, it would have been an effortless process to recover the phone.  Instead, I had to rely on my broken Spanish to approach a cab driver and ask him to call out to the fleet to try and find my phone.  I would learn an hour later it was the wrong cab company.  In the meantime, I did everything I could to try and recover my phone, but it was all to no avail.  I begged strangers to let me borrow there phone so that I could try to call the wrong cab company and my own cell phone.  I had no luck.  I ran up to every portly driver in a van, hoping it was my driver coming to return my phone, only to be greeted by a look of bewilderment each time.  There was nothing to be done.  After waiting for an hour and a half, I went inside to the information desk.  They found out the name of the right cab company, but they had no way of tracking down the driver without the slip of paper.

In the end, I realized that I only would need the phone to take pictures (and maybe to use Instagram), the rest could be done on my laptop or wait until I got back to New York.  I did, however, lament the loss of the text messages since my last backup.  I like to keep text messages for archival purposes, so losing three weeks of text messages (probably around 2000 messages) really hurt.  I got angry at myself for forgetting to do a backup before I left, as I typically do.  It was so stupid.  I always do a backup, and, the one time I needed to do it, I forgot.  Well, resigning myself to never seeing the phone again, certainly not before I got on the boat, I went upstairs to the shopping area to buy a new camera.  They had one better: tablets.  Well, that would work.  I could access all of my social media, and I would be able to take and post pictures.

That solved that problem.  I just wouldn’t be able to get back my text messages unless my phone was miraculously recovered.  It’s not impossible that it will be waiting for me at EZE when I get there in 11 days, but I’m not counting on it.  I will most likely need to replace it when I get back to New York.  With his erratic driving, the phone has probably slid underneath the seat and is lost for the foreseeable future.  Then, to make matters worse, as I sat down while I was setting up my tablet, I split the seam of my pants.  I suppose that is something else I will need to replace once I get back to New York.

Anyway, I guess I have time to talk about the south.  In all of my excitement about setting foot on the Great White Continent, I had forgotten that I will actually be checking two continents off my list on this trip.  The other, of course, being South America.  In fact it will be the first time I am south of the equator.  I say will, despite the dateline I have just written.  I got to Kennedy at 3 PM Argentina time, and it will not be until 26 hours later, 6 hours from now, that I will Officially be able to say that I have been south of the equator.  I landed in an airplane, got directly in a taxi, which took me to another airport, where I will take another airplane, followed by another taxi, so it will not be until I reach my hotel in Ushuaia, the southernmost city in the world that I will Officially have set foot in South America, that I will Officially have been south of the equator.

My list of continents is still at three for the moment.  It will be five soon enough.  The flight was awful, the entertainment system lacking, the food options being not much more than junk food, the legroom too small, but I managed to get enough sleep that I felt wide awake when I landed.  The lines for immigration was immense and slow moving, but, at 5 AM, they opened up more stations, and it breezed through.  It was a perfunctory process.  It was then time to get the cigars.  I needed an Official cigar of the trip, and I knew just what I wanted, though I knew it was unlikely they would have it.  They only had like 5 different boxes, but one of them was, indeed, the Cohiba Siglo II the very box I had wanted.

I was shocked that I didn’t have any trouble with my card.  It seems as if every time I tell Citibank I’m leaving the country, my card gets blocked anyway, so I didn’t bother this time, and it worked, shocker.  Once I got in the cab, I lit up my cigar, and the jovial and erratic driver took me from the international airport to the national one, in the time it took me to smoke the cigar.  Between all of my hand luggage, the cigar, and my coat, I didn’t do my customary check.  I felt something against my left thigh, so I figured I was fine.  However, it was just the cable for the phone that I had been keeping in the pocket with the phone.  I have already recounted my failed attempt to recover it, and I went to a phone station to try calling my phone, but there was no answer.

As I was going up the escalator, I saw someone running towards me with my duty free bag.  Wow, if I had lost the box of Cohibas, that would have actually been almost as bad as losing the phone.  Well, I left my luggage on the escalator, ran down to get the bag, and ran back up before the luggage reached the top.  I then got the tablet, split my pants, tried the information station again, resigned myself to defeat, and went through security.  Once I got to the gate, I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can get something to drink, not having had a drop of liquid since I landed at EZE five hours ago.  I might need something stronger than Sprite Zero…


Aboard AR 1858, En route AEP-USH

It is usually not a good idea to ask what else can go wrong because, invariably, something else will go wrong.  As soon as I closed at AEP, I went to take a picture of the airport with my new tablet.  I looked for the button to switch from the front-facing to the rear-facing camera, but I couldn’t find it.  I then looked at the back of the tablet.  No camera!  Fuck!!!  All it had was a 1.3 MP front-facing camera, which was basically okay for video chat or rudimentary selfies.  It was entirely useless for taking pictures of glaciers and penguins.  I’d be just as good enough taking out a pencil and sketching the damn penguins!  I went to the shopping area, prepared to buy a new camera, but they didn’t have any.  The place where I bought my tablet was on the other side of security.  No, I didn’t think I’d have enough time.  I figured that I would be able to find a camera at a tourist shop in Ushuaia.

I meant to write about this when in my previous entry when I was discussing about giving into panic versus find your courage, but I almost never made it to Jerusalem two years ago.  After I left my water bottle at security, I went through very similar stages as I went through today.  It started with checking every single place it might be to no avail.  The next stage was to see what I could do to recover it.  With the water bottle, there was not much I could do 7000 miles away, so I trusted the task to my mother’s capable hands.  As soon as I landed at Ben Gurion, I sent her an email explaining what happened.  In the end, she pulled through, but, at first, it appeared to be lost forever.  I sank into a deep depression.  I certainly did not want to be forced to make friends with those 40 or so strangers, to be forced to have a good time, to be forced to engage in those stupid nightly socializing activities.  I just wanted to smoke Cubans and cry.

Well, I’m not much one to cry in front of strangers, but I will smoke Cubans with strangers, and I started to form some easy friendships that way, which began to raise my spirits.  Once my mother confirmed that it was lost, I told her I wanted to come home.  Enough was enough.  Well, if I had gone home after the first couple of days, Aliyah most likely would not be my girlfriend now.  In fact, anyone who finds my phone will see a picture of me on the lock screen, of Aliyah, me, and the water bottle.

When my mother said that she would be shipping me the water bottle to my hotel, I started to cheer up.  I’d have to check my journal from the trip, which I did not bring on this laptop, but I do not think it was until we arrived in Jerusalem that I was truly cheered up.  It was the elevator incident, no doubt.  A bunch of us packed into an elevator, and, when the door closed, it started to sink.  Well, everyone but the soldiers and I panicked.  The girl literally fell right on my lap.  Once the doors opened, we started to climb out, and this guy who was completely nuts handed me his coffee.  He then shoved me out of the way, causing me to spill his coffee on one of the soldiers.  Thinking quickly, I patted the soldier on the shoulder and told him that, in America, it was considered good luck to have coffee spilt on you.  He bought it.  I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve told that story and recounting it again cheers me up once more.

Anyway, once I got on the plane today, again, totally depressed, unable to blame heat or hunger or exhaustion or tiredness, knowing that I was depressed and knowing exactly why, I realized that I didn’t have my scarf.  I have had that scarf for the better part of a decade, and it has literally been to hell and back with me.  I have lost it so many times in so many countries, only to retrace my steps each time and find it.  Well, this time it appeared lost for good.  I was past caring at that point.  Then, as we were about to take off, I saw a flash of gray at the front of the plane.  Was that it?  I saw it again.  Yes!  It was.  I told a passing flight attendant, and she brought me the scarf, my spirits immediately missing.  I don’t even care about the phone, anymore, though it would be nice to have the text messages back, but all that matters now is finding a decent camera to use to take pictures of penguins and glaciers.  Once I get to Ushuaia, I will check the airport.  If they don’t have one, then I’ll try going into town, at which point I will be able to say that I have Officially been south of the equator, and it will be in the southernmost city in the world.


Ushuaia, Argentina

I have at long last come to the end of the world, and it was all that was promised.  I had always wondered if I would find the extreme south as wonderful as magical as I find the North.  Now I know.  I have not yet crossed the 60th Parallel, yet this small city at the end of the world is one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited.  It is Juneau on steroids, and that is saying a lot.  Back in my hotel, staring at this scenic vista out my window, fully fed, an empty bladder, and smoking an OpusX, with my new tablet and camera plugged into my laptop, I am happy once more.  I have Officially checked a new continent off my list.  The last time I did that was when I had breakfast that first morning in Israel.

This will likely not be the last time I draw a parallel between these two trips.  I was a very different person when I first got off that bus in Israel than I am now, and I like the person I am now far better.  I have seen the world since then, and I have matured greatly.  In fact, it all started when I got my water bottle back, the first time I used it in when we were hiking in the Negev.  That was the day that changed my life.  No, it didn’t change my life because I had gotten my water bottle.  It changed my life because that was the day that I started judging people for who they were rather than what they were, finding myself attracted to women because of how they thought and talked and acted rather than how they looked.  When I woke up that next morning in the Bedouin camp, I was a changed man, and I knew I would never go back.

Once we got to Ushuaia International, I found my tour guide, but they were waiting for a bunch of other people, so I went to see if they had a camera at the duty-free.  They did not, but they did have something else I needed, a three-pack of Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Especial, the #4 rated cigar of 2014.  Perfect.  I sent out some emails, did some Facebook chatting, checked on my notifications, and got on the bus.  It was a beautiful bus ride though it pained me not to be able to take pictures out the window.

When we got to the hotel, the guide told me exactly where to go.  I had a taxi called and got myself situated.  I took a picture outside the hotel and posted it to Instagram.  Once I was in the cab, I lit up my Epicure, and it was absolutely deserving of the ranking.  There was an ashtray outside the camera store, and I got what I needed, a cheap Lumix with the smallest memory card they had.  It looked like something you’d get out of a prize machine at the arcade, but it had 12 MP for 16x9 photos, so it would do the trick.  I could take pictures of penguins and glaciers to post to Facebook.  That was what mattered.  That was what lifted my spirits.  I took a bunch of pictures after I relit my cigar and then wandered around town, getting souvenirs and gifts for my coworkers and girlfriend, along with a crucial necessity: a bottle of Argentinian sparkling wine for New Year’s Eve.

I then got my first Official meal south of the equator, which was and always will be the southernmost Official meal of my life.  It was an Argentinian beer, steak, and these delicious fried potatoes.  Technically it was lunch, not having eaten in 12 hours, and I was starving.  It fit the bill, and I relit my cigar once more before getting a taxi back to the hotel.  Once I got to my room, I saw that my tablet had blown up, more Facebook Likes and from people who rarely Like my photos.  I did what still needed to be done to Officially check South America off my list, lit up my OpusX, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, as they will soon be serving dinner.


A treacherous drive through an awful blizzard to Toronto in 2012, a late-night drive that took far longer than expected to Sarajevo in 2013, and losing my cell phone en route to Ushuaia in 2014?  What do all of these adventures have in common?  They were Day 1 of my New Year’s trip and culminated with me smoking my 2006 Christmas Pipe in my hotel room at the end of the adventure.  This is the first time it has been before midnight.  This is the first time it has been light out, even, though it is approaching 11 PM here.  What adventures will the Beijing, China dateline recount in 2015 as I smoke this pipe once more?

The past is the past, the phone is lost, and I have moved on.  I am once more happy.  I have, in fact, been very happy since I got the camera in town, and my life, right now, is pretty much perfect.  Tomorrow, I will be getting on the boat and heading to Antarctica.  We will attempt to make landings on the continent on the 31st of December and the 1st of January, which will make for an epic New Year’s.  I have my sparkling wine, and I have my Davidoff Year of the Sheep for midnight, just as I have had each of the past two years.  Well, there was a kink two years ago, but my travelling companions and I will take that story to the grave.  We did not technically get to drink sparkling wine that year, but we had plenty of whiskey.  In Vienna I had my bottle of sparkling Austrian wine and the Year of the Horse, so that is the tradition that will continue in Hong Kong, in Sydney, and wherever I choose to ring in the New Years of my 30s.

Dinner was slow and awful, the steak overcooked, and the potatoes soggy, and the service atrotious.  They should have just done a buffet style rather than trying to serve plates to everyone at once.  At least breakfast will be buffet style, but if this is an indication of how the meals on the cruise will be, I will get very grumpy very quickly.  Tomorrow morning we will be exploring the National Park before we get on the boat.  I just want to get on the boat.  I’m ready for this.  I have carefully picked out my cigars for tomorrow, and I have chosen Locke to be my first philosopher to read.  Apparently, he was the predecessor to Hume, and I have never read his epistemology before, so it should be interesting.

After dinner, I went back up to my room to finish my OpusX and pack for the morning, consolidate my bags, rejigger my electronics cables, yada yada yada.  After I was done, I went back to the dining room, and I was not surprised that people were still eating dessert.  I sat down where I had been sitting and asked for my dessert, only to get a confused look.  “Mi postre, por favor.”  That worked.  I am nowhere near fluent in Spanish.  I won’t even say that my Spanish is good, but it’s definitely decent.  I can get by and make myself understood.  My Spanish is definitely better than the English of most people I will encounter in Latin America, so we will typically converse in Spanish.

I’m not even sure why I brought this up.  When I go to Beijing next year, I will certainly not be able to get by on broken Mandarin, nor was I much able to get by on broken French in Quebec last year.  Anyway, the dessert was good, and I came up to light up my 2006 Christmas Pipe and write this entry, which I will now close so that I can edit it down to size and publish it before getting some much needed sleep in a real bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment