Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, December 1, 2014

India - Day 4 - The Journey Home

12/1/14

New York, New York


There is a reason that I do not Officially close my trip until after I have cleared Customs.  It is called Murphy’s Law.  I lost my passport.  I am also a firm believer that all’s well that ends well.  The New York, New York dateline signifies that all did in fact end well, but, first, The Journey Home.

After I closed in Delhi, I went through the secondary screening point for US flights, which meants I had to clear out my water bottle.  The good news was that no one said anything about me bring four bags on the plane with me.  I saw the person in front of me wearing a familiar Livestrong backpack with an unmistakable United Airlines USOC pin.  It was the person who sat next to me on the flight in.  I don’t talk to strangers, not if I can avoid it.  That was why I shocked myself by stating, “You sat next to me on the flight in.”  We made about four more lines of small talk.

My plan was to pass out as soon as I got on the plane and not wake up until we landed.  That, did not work.  I took an entire overhead bin for my bags and my coat, a major asshole move, but I was too tired and exhausted to care.  The flight itself was rather unadventurous, and the time I have to write this entry during my lunch hour is limited, so I will not go into great detail.  I picked at whatever food was offered, but I didn’t have much of an appetite.  I slept intermittently, never being able to get any deep and long sleep, the kind that I would need for today.

At one point, I felt something graze across my chest and a dip in my armrest.  I did not need to take my eyemask off to know that the woman sitting next to me had just climbed over me to go to the bathroom.  I then heard a voice say, “I don’t want to wake him.  Maybe we can just climb over him.”  At that point, I took off my eyemask, and they (the two women from my row) asked if I would mind if they climbed over me to get back to their seats.  Grateful for not having to stand up, I groggily agreed.

Before I knew it, we were landing, and we had landed 30 minutes early.  That changed my whole schedule.  My original plan was to take the bus to the office, muddle through my day at work, go home at 5 PM, drop my bags off, clean up, change, and meet my girlfriend for dinner at 6 PM.  It was not the best plan, and it was 50/50 if I would fall asleep by the end of dinner.  This changed everything.  I could take a taxi home, get a little bit of a nap, clean up, change, get to the office at 9 AM, work until 5:30 PM, and then head to dinner together.  It was a much better plan.  Barring any problem with passport or baggage control, it would work perfectly.

I went through the Global Entry kiosk, headed down the escalator, and patted myself down when I got to the bottom of the escalator, checking for my water bottle, cell phone, wallet, etc.  Where the fuck was my passport?!?  I checked all of my pockets.  No dice.  I started to panic.  Had it fallen on the floor somewhere?  The escalators were crowded, but I grabbed all four of my bags and started running up the escalator, people giving me crazy looks as I did so.

I was immediately approached by a CBP Officer who asked what was wrong.  I told him that I thought I had lost my passport.  The officer from the Global Entry section came to my rescue.  He handed it to me, and said, “Good luck.”  What did that mean?  I thanked him profusely and headed to baggage control.  Wait, this wasn’t good.  I was out of breath, and my heart was racing.  Surely, I would come across as nervous and be subjected to extra screening.  I took a minute to have some water and compose myself.  I proceeded to passport control, and he let me through without question.

I took a taxi and headed home.  It was 5:15 AM when I got home, meaning I would have almost 3 hours for my nap.  Perfect.  I changed into my t-shirt, set up my sleep machine, crashed, and woke up a little before 8 AM.  I took a shower, brushed my teeth, shaved, and put on some more casual clothes.  I felt refreshed and ready to take on the world.  I got to work a little late, explaining the need to shower off the curry smell, heated up some breakfast, and got to work.  At 11 AM, I went to Hop Won for lunch and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get back to the office before my lunch break is over.  Next stop: Orlando with Aliyah.

No comments:

Post a Comment