Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Antarctica - Day 4 - Land Ahoy!

12/30/14

At sea, M/V Corinthian, Bransfield Strait

Well, we have survived the Drake Passage, and I can see the South Shetland Islands off to my left.  It is quite possibly the most remarkable sight I have ever seen, and I am still sitting on a boat.  We have not even set sight on the mainland.  I have also just been informed by one of my new friends that we will make a landing on the Islands today.  I guess we made good time.

As for my new friendships, they are thriving, and, while I compared them to MathCamp last night, I realized that it was NYU that would provide a more apt analogy.  Hmm, we have slowed down, so I guess we are making port now.  Anyway, at NYU, I was forced to sit out in the courtyard to smoke, and people approached me, and easy friendships were formed.  With WiFi only available in the public spaces, it was exactly the same here.

After I closed last night, I continued my search for the memory card.  I could not find it.  I had a nagging suspicion that it had fallen in somewhere rather than on something.  I checked again the memory slot on my camera.  Something looked off.  I looked more closely.  Hmm, the battery definitely did not look right.  My memory card had been wedged in with battery instead of in its correct slot.  It was no easy task to retrieve it, but I did.

I reorganized and headed back out around 3 AM with a Cohiba.  I lit up the Cohiba and looked at the port side of the boat towards the fore.  I believed that we were travelling due south, and I knew that the sun would rise not in the east but approximately 35 degrees off of south, somewhere between southeast and south by southeast.  Hmm, no, this wasn’t right.  3:25 AM came with no sunrise.  That was when I figured out that we were travelling southeast.  I ran to the fore deck, and there it was.  The glimmer of red and orange.  The pictures were not the best, but they were decent.  I headed back inside, only to immediately go back outside.  This was sunrise.  In Antarctica.  I was really going to only stay for a few minutes?  Well, the view didn’t change, and I started to get bored, so I headed inside.  I was going to stay up until breakfast, only four hours off, but I wound up falling asleep at 5 AM, and I was down to breakfast a little after 8 AM.  I only got three hours of sleep, and it was nowhere near enough.

I found myself next to Davie, whom I learned was Elizabeth’s stepsister.  I knew with absolute certainty that if I roomed with my family for ten days, one of us would not survive the trip.  Breakfast was not as good as yesterday, but it was filling.  We next had a mandatory briefing, which would be followed by boot disinfecting.  John Frick had found me a pair of boots, which was a lifesaver.  We were soon joined by Andy and Molly and Elizabeth and the three parents.  It was seven of them travelling as a clan.  It cost more than my annual gross salary for their three cabins, much more.  Molly was Andy’s girlfriend, and Andy’s parents paid for her fare as well.  While I am either the oldest or second oldest in the group of my new friends, I believe that I am the youngest person on the boat who paid for his own ticket.

After the boot disinfecting, I took my much needed nap, waking up when the announcement was made for lunch.  I threw on my suit pants and headed down, finding myself behind Elizabeth and Molly and Andy at the buffet.  Elizabeth and I exchanged greetings, and she invited me to join her family for lunch, an offer I gladly accepted.  Elizabeth started talking about our epic game of Charades, and the mom looked at me and said that she heard that I was really good at Charades.  I guess word travels fast on a small boat.  I took a fork and started eating my meal.  Andy asked me where my chopsticks were, remembering the first lunch we had together.  I said that the last time I used chopsticks in front of Elizabeth, I got chicken all over her.  She laughed, saying that it didn’t leave a permanent mark.  No, I was no longer the stranger who splattered her with chicken in Ushuaia.  I was now the new friend that absolutely schooled her at Charades at 1 AM in the Drake Passage.

The mother asked if Andy could have any chocolate mousse, but they didn’t have any.  Instead they brought him an ice cream sundae, which he shared with his girlfriend.  Elizabeth stole the cookie that came with it, which she shared with me.  She didn’t like the cookie, saying that it tasted like an ice cream cone.  Andy and Molly did not much like the ice cream, so they gave the dish to Elizabeth.  I explained that she probably needed to use the cookie to scoop the ice cream, which I did.  Once she realized that there were raisins in the rum raisin ice cream, she gave the rest to me, explaining that she is a purist and doesn’t like raisins or nuts in her ice cream.  Afterwards, I then wondered aloud why we only got one dessert for the whole table.

I have now realized that the buffet had desserts on top, I think, but I was fine.  The ice cream was plenty, and I still had lots of pastries in my room.  The mother went to a photography class, and Andy and Molly excused themselves, as well.  Elizabeth said that she was going to return to her knitting, and I went back to my room to get my cigar and computer.  I went to the smoking deck, where a bunch of people were assembled to see the land off to the starboard side.  I lit up my Santana, uploaded a bunch of photos, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close, since my cigar is almost done, and I need to get ready for the landing.



Once again, I find myself smoking my Christmas Pipe, with sunrise fast approaching, after an epic game of Charades.  How can Quebec or Istanbul, where I previously smoked my 2010 Christmas Pipe, compare to the magic of this night?  It can’t.  It seems ironic that setting foot on Antarctic land for the first time in my life was not the highlight of the day.  Of all my new friends, I am the only one travelling alone.  Everyone else was travelling with their family or their significant other’s family.  Instead of spending my time smoking and writing my philosophy, I am now very glad to make new friends, to constantly throw my structured plans out the window.  I am enjoying this trip, and I have no doubt it will make the top five if it continues like this.  My theme for my 2014 Year in Review entry will be about the people in my life, the people on my trips, but first I must recall the adventures of today before the sun rises and before we leave the Bransfield, either of which would require a new dateline.

It is past 2 AM here, and I am wide awake.  I have drunken about a bottle of wine today, along with two glasses of champagne, yet I feel as sober as a judge.  Davie might be joining me out here soon, so I will need to go quickly for that reasons, as well.  After I closed, I started to get ready for the landing, no, that’s not right.  I went up to the library, where all of my friends were hanging out.  We parted ways to get ready for the landing, and John Frick came up to me, telling me he had some pants for me.  Perfect.  I had boots and pants, I would be waterproof.  This was on one of the islands, so I was not going to make it Official.  No cigar, no water bottle.  I just wanted to see how the landing would work.

We went down into the Zodiacs, which took us ashore.  Fuck this island/continent business.  With the wondrous view ahead of me and the wildlife ashore, I didn’t care about Official or unofficial.  As soon as I set foot ashore onto dry land, I uttered one syllable: five.  There were only two continents left: Africa and Australia.  Danny was taking his time with photography, but I soon saw L---.  No, she was walking slowly to keep pace with her grandmother, so I walked off alone.  There are no words to describe what I saw.  Only pictures can suffice.  I will not even try.



I got to the end of the trail, where there were the same seals and penguins we saw on the way in.  I wanted to do my cigar/entry before dinner, but I realized that the smoking deck would be off limits due to the Zodiac operations, so I might as well just stay ashore until the last Zodiac back.  I then saw Danny, Beth, and Davie walking in the opposite direction, so I tagged along with them for the rest of the time.  As we were heading back on the Zodiac, Davie saw a whale, so we tried to find it, and we did.  Then we saw three more, but my camera was dead, which was perfect, since it meant I could just watch with my own eyes.

After we got back, we needed to change for cocktail hour, which meant that we would all be dressed to the nines, me in my trademark suit.  Beth, of course, looked gorgeous in velvet and Sam, as well.  Nevermind, if I play Joan Rivers I’m not going to finish this entry in time.  We met the crew and played a game at trying to figure out who the captain was, as we drank champagne.


Afterwards, we headed down to dinner, where I joined Beth's family, us all in the same seating arrangements from lunch.  Davie went to join, I think, Danny and Sam, leaving an empty seat, which was taken by John Frick.  When he sat down, I gave him, literally, a hero’s welcome.  I reminded Beth about the chicken incident and Ushuaia and said that I was going to use the chopsticks again.  She told me to go for it, saying that I couldn’t burn her with cold duck salad, but she didn’t think I could eat the duck salad with my chopsticks.  She was wrong.  It was a veritable feast, and I drank too much wine.  After dessert, Andy and I ordered more veal, Andy because he was hungry, me because it amused me and because I’d rather have a cigar after veal than after dessert.  I took out two pairs of chopsticks, and we ate the veal with chopsticks.  I could not finish the veal, so I handed him half of one of my pieces with my chopsticks, and he grabbed it with his, which very much amused Beth.  She excused herself for a nap, saying that she would join us later for charades.

I went out to the smoking deck to smoke my Epicure and write my Locke.  Afterwards, my friends were nowhere to be found.  I figured that they were all tired from our epic session last night and had went to bed.  I was going to smoke my pipe, write my entry, and do the same.  However, I needed to find out our location so that I could write the proper dateline.  The place to do that was on the bridge.

Lo and behold!  All of my friends were there and had been there since dinner.  I got our position and course, and we soon went down to play charades.  Beth and Dom joined us right as we were getting started, and it was another epic session, lasting two hours.  Afterwards, we decided to head up to the 6th Deck.  It was approaching 2 AM.




Okay, this was a problem for me now.  I could not not write my entry and smoke my pipe, no matter how much fun I was having.  I knew that, in this case, I would choose fulfillment value over enjoyment value.  I figured it out.  I would get my laptop and pipe and do it up there with them and then hang out with them afterwards.  I ran back down to the 3rd Deck, rubbed out my tobacco, got my smoking gear and laptop, and headed back up.  I asked if anyone would be offended if I smoked, it being totally off limits up there.  They were pleased by the idea and a few wanted to share the pipe with me.  Okay, I could smoke with them until 30 minutes before sunrise and then write my entry.  Well, it was too windy to light the pipe, no matter what I tried.  Beth suggested I go inside just to light it, but there were smoke detectors right in the entrance, so that didn’t work.  Fuck it!  I went back down to get my torch and came back up.

Everyone was on the very top deck when I got back, so I went up there, where there were flammable materials.  It probably wasn’t the smartest idea, but I didn’t care.  I lit up the pipe easily with the torch and gave Danny and Davie their puffs.  Well, it was late and cold, people were tired and freezing, so everyone but Davie and I called it a night.  I didn’t want to delay my entry any longer, but I had a problem.  The 6th Deck outside area was not connected with the rest of the outside.  How would I get my lit pipe to the 5th Deck?  There was only way.  Put my hand over my pipe and make a run for it.  I did exactly that.  The hot smoke hurt, but I had no other option.

I went down to the 3rd Deck, got the cord to recharge my now dead camera, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can watch the sunrise in 4 minutes, publish, and get a few hours of sleep.  Oh, while I was writing, some of the officers came up to me, not surprised to find me in my usual spot but surprised to see me smoking a pipe instead of a cigar.  They wanted to try the pipe, so I gladly obliged, but it was too strong for them.  I would have loved to chat with them longer, but I was on a tight schedule.  Okay, now I need to close.  2 minutes to sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment