Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Monday, December 29, 2014

Antarctica - Day 3 - The Drake Passage

12/29/14

At Sea, M/V Corinthian, Drake Passage

The Drake Passage, it is a place of legends, a name that evokes stories of horror, and today was the roughest sailing day of my life.  The crew kept telling us how lucky we were to have such a mild crossing of the Drake Passage.  When I woke up this morning, I did not know who would be leaving Cabin 341.  Would it be the new persona I had created for myself yesterday, or would I return to my old self and relegate myself to Locke and cigars?

It was a mixture of both.  I woke up and got ready for breakfast.  I put on shorts and a t-shirt.  Hmm, what shirt did I have that would be the least frequently visited location among this well-travelled group?  Ah, Guatemala.  I headed down to breakfast and sat down next to, I think, John.  It was someone from the dinner table last night.  The breakfast was not excellent, but it was good enough.  After my main course, I saw Sam come down, and she went to join Danny and his new friend, Kathy.  Since John(?) was about to leave, I took my coffee and sat down with the people my age.  The waiter then brought me my chopsticks, which I had left at my old seat.

After breakfast, we all went up to the 5th Deck to do some wildlife watching.  Well, in my shorts and t-shirt, even with my overcoat, I was freezing, but there was a problem.  The only longs I packed were my suit pants and my pajama bottoms.  I was not going to wear the suit all trip, and I was not about to spend the entire trip in my pajamas, either.  Aha!  I had a solution.  I would use the pajama bottoms as leggings underneath my shorts.  It worked, but it looked ridiculous.  I asked Sam what she thought of the look, and she said that I should do whatever I needed to do to keep warm.  I liked her attitude.

I soon got bored of the socializing and excused myself to go downstairs.  I lit up my Cohiba and started on my Locke.  Hmm, this would be no good.  I was freezing, well, my legs were.  I decided I wear my parka and use my overcoat as a blanket.  It worked perfectly.  After my cigar, I went back inside, maybe rested for a bit, and then I think I went back out for a Fuente as I got started on my writing.  I started out just analysis of Locke’s Essay, comparing and contrasting his ideas to those of his predecessors and successors.

It was then time for lunch.  I sat down with John and Kathy, whom I then realized were father and daughter, and we were joined by the Colorado College group, which included Nancy Baxter (who of course did not remember me), L---, and L---’s grandmother (the other Nancy).  It was a veritable feast for lunch, and the conversation was good, though nowhere near as good as the one from dinner last night.  The other Nancy asked me where I was raised upon production of my chopsticks.  When I said Manhattan, she asked if I was raised in Chinatown.  The food was not enough for me and too much for her, so she offered me some of her turkey.  I impressed the group cutting the turkey while holding it with my chopsticks.

After lunch, I lied back down and then had my Ashton VSG as I continued my writing.  My desire for socializing was expended at that point, the social experiment all but over.  I just wanted to smoke and write and message my friends back home, the same four people I text every day.  Actually, well, technically they were not back home, one in Israel for two weeks, another lives in Florida, another in New Jersey, and the other was upstate for the weekend.  I continued to work on my writing as I answered the responses.

Afterwards, I went upstairs for some coffee, and some of my new friends were up there, so I mingled a bit before heading back down to lie down again.  At around 6 PM, I went out for a RP Royale, another one of the top ten cigars of the year.  This one was not worthy of the rating, and I will ditch it as soon as I am done with this entry.   My plan was to write my entry, change, and go down for dinner.  Well, two problems.  First, my computer was not charged.  I had plugged the cord into the laptop, but the cord was not plugged into the wall.  Okay, I would charge it for 30 minutes while I read another chapter of Locke and then write my entry for 30 minutes.

As I was about ready to go back for the computer, I was told there was a mandatory briefing.  Ugh, I hate that kind of stuff.  It got to be 7:15 PM, which meant I would be late for dinner if I finished my cigar and wrote my entry.  Once they started showing pictures of whales from this morning, I just walked up and left, got my computer, headed to the smoking area, relit my cigar, and wrote this entry, which I will close so that I can get ready for dinner.  When I next write, we will have Officially crossed the Antarctic Convergence, and we will be in Antarctic waters.


It is 1:30 in the morning, and it is as bright is day outside.  Sunrise is in two hours.  I will find no sleep tonight.


How can my first nights in Mont Tremblant or Vienna compare to the magical night I just experienced?  No, this smoking of the 2008 Christmas Pipe beats all others, and I don’t even care that I just lost my memory card. Well, I do care, but it pales in comparison to the wonder of the night.  When I went down for dinner, I tried to find my new friends, but the few that were there were all sitting at occupied tables.  What would I do?  Well, I made more new friends.

After dinner, I had my Avo, and while I was smoking it, watching the sun set, I realized that I did not like this new person I was becoming.  It was not me.  No, I would go back to my old self, and I swore then and there that I would never be anyone I was not.  John came down, and we chatted a little.  I actually liked him, so I didn’t mind chatting with him.  After the cigar, I went to the lobby to get better WiFi, and my plan was to go back to my room, rub out my tobacco, smoke my Christmas Pipe, finish this entry, and be asleep by midnight.

That was almost four hours ago.  Danny said that they were playing charades and invited me to join them.  All my new friends were there, Sam, Davie, Elizabeth, Kathy, and some new faces.  I literally had my Marius Moment.  Do I stay or do I go?  Do I socialize or stick to my plan?  I chose the former, and we had a great time.  It was an epic three-hour session of charades, and apparently I was really good at it, everyone calling me the MVP.  I made new friends with Luke and Frances, and, when it was time for the tie breaker, one last epic clue, our team went outside.

It was past 1 AM, and it was not yet dusk.  We agreed on The Origin of Species, and we won in the end.  We all said our good nights, and I went back to my room, knowing I would have to stay up until sunrise.  Unfortunately, sunrise will denote a new day, so I will not be able to include that in today’s entry.


I got my tobacco ready and headed outside.  I lit up my pipe and proceeded to write this entry.  I was going to send the picture of the twilight, but the memory card was not in the tablet.  I checked the camera.  It was missing.  Wonderful.  It was only like two photos that were not posted to Facebook, but the camera can only take 12 photos without the card.  I frantically searched for the card, but it was nowhere to be found.  I’m not too worry.  I’m sure someone on board can lend me a memory card.  Otherwise, I can make do with 12 photos per landing or just take smaller photos.  After I gave up my search, I continued to write this entry.

The events of this evening marked a change in me.  All I wanted to do tonight was smoke my pipe and go to bed.  I was ready to end my social experiment, but why did I go join my new friends?  It was a now or never moment.  If I didn’t join them now, I would not be doing any more socializing the entire trip.  I stayed because I was having fun, but why did I go in the first place?  I do not entirely know.  I think I went because I knew I might regret more not going than I could ever regret delaying my pipe.  After the first round, I bowed out.  I brought my coats back to my room, and took a U, planning to have my pipe right then.  While I was in the Uer, I decided that I would go back, and everyone was glad to see me.  We kept playing for another two hours, and it was fun, very fun.  I will stay up to the sunset, just like I did at MathCamp so many nights, because that is what this experience most reminds me of.  This is MathCamp in the Antarctic without the math.  On that note, I will close so that I can look for my card again and publish.

No comments:

Post a Comment