Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 5, 2016

Rio 2016: The Experience - Day 0 - "I'm Home"

8/5/16, “I’m Home”

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I’m home.  How many times have I said that after I have flown halfway across the world with the goal of setting foot inside some abandoned Olympic Stadium?  They were the words that opened my Athens entry, after I somehow managed to talk my way inside to take a picture (and stayed to write most of an entry).  They are words that embody the feeling when go to a Stadium that brings back all the happy memoires from a Games that I remember watching.  Now, reader, if setting foot inside a Stadium that hosted a Games 12 years ago, imagine what I’ll feel when I set foot inside Maracana Stadium tonight for the Opening Ceremonies.  Imagine what I felt when I stepped off the plane this morning, into a city hosting the Games.  Imagine what I felt as I walked from the gate to border control, though an airport emblazoned with Olympic Rings and adverts from the sponsors.

Needless to say, I cried the whole walk, and it was a long walk, until I got to border control.  I was home.  There were no other words.  For the next 9 Days, as I watch the Games and get caught up in the excitement of being there, rather than watching from my actual home, having five or six screens up at a time to watch every event, instead just going to the events in person, I’ll be home.  Watching pickup games of volleyball on the beach, I’m home.  Seeing the special preparations Rio has made for the Games, I’m home.  There is no question this will be one of my top five trips of all time.  The only question is, will it be number one?  Will it unseat the great road trip I took with my parents to see the National Parks of the American West so many years ago?  Will it beat out the epic Eurotrip I took three years ago, which brought me to no fewer than six Olympic Stadiums and 10 countries?

This trip is about one thing, seeing the Olympics.  To that end, I will be in one country, one city, one hotel room the entire time, such sharp contrast to that epic Eurotrip.  However, while I am in Rio for the Games, there are two other must-see sites for me, two sites that would have caused me to come to Rio even if they weren’t hosting the Games.  One site is behind me, and I can see it from my hotel window.  That is the statue of Christ the Redeemer, a New7 Wonder of the World.  I will visit that this weekend.

The other is the great Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, a Natural Wonder of the World.  That is where I am now.  I am at Flamingo Beach, overlooking the Harbor, with the mountains in the background.  This is truly deserving its designation.  The mountainous harbor is unlike anything else in the world.  It was a great place to build a city, and what a city it’s become.  It is definitely one of the most beautiful vista I have ever seen in my life.  NBC’s coverage of the Olympics will make vistas such as this even more iconic than they already are, just as they did with the Great Wall 8 years ago and the Sydney Opera House 16 years ago.

Alright, so I suppose I should recount what brought me from Kennedy to this vista.  After I closed, I went to the newsstand to get some chips and a Hershey’s bar, along with the new Harry Potter book, in case I needed something to read on the plane.  We were delayed on the ground for well over an hour.  I didn’t care.  I started watching The Little Mermaid, which, if I’m not sure I ever saw before.  If I did, it was ages ago.  I loved it, and the end credits started just as we were taking off.  I had paid extra to get the bulkhead seat with extra legroom.  Oh, I forgot to mention the most important part.  I was sitting next to a Japanese judoka.  They are always favorites, and he was in the heavyweight division.  If I go to the finals, I might actually see him there.  I was completely fanboying over that.

Okay, so extra money for extra legroom.  Today was such an important day, I wanted to make sure I slept well on the plane.  As soon as we took off, I leaned back, I leaned my seat back so that I could go to sleep.  Next thing I knew, the woman behind me was poking my shoulder complaining that I was leaning back when I had so much leg room and they had so little.  I explained that I can’t sleep upright and that the legroom didn’t matter for that.  She said they weren’t planning on leaning back and again pointed out how much legroom I had, poking my shoulder again.  I explained, sharply, that the seats were designed like that for a reason, and made it clear that I would be utilizing that function.  I went to sleep as she mouthed off at me, promising that Karma would come back for me.  If I believed in Karma, I might have listened.  I woke up in time for dinner, beef with rice, and went back to sleep.  Next thing I knew, we were making our descent.  I had slept the whole way through.

We disembarked, and as soon as I saw the Rings all over the corridor, I started crying.  I was home.  What really did me in was the Coca-Cola stand.  Only my readers who know me best will understand why being handed a Coke bottle would turn me into a sobbing mess.  Why that, more than anything, meant that I was home.  For my readers who have never endured an Olympics with me, I will explain.  During the Olympics, and for a buffer period before and after, I show absolute loyalty to the corporate sponsors of the Games.  For example, I will not buy Burger King or Pepsi for a six-month period leading up to the Games, or for a one-month period following the Games.  During the Games themselves, all of my soft drinks must be Coke products, and I get all my meals (in the US, a local exception will be made since I’m now in the host city) from McDonald’s.

I have done this every Olympics going back to Athens 2004.  I save all the collectible packaging.  I still have all of that.  Coca-Cola is the oldest corporate sponsor of the Games, and their packaging is the most iconic.  Now that my reader understands the background, imagine what I felt when I saw a Coca-Cola stand, emblazoned with the Olympic Rings, at the airport, and one of the workers handed me a Coca-Cola bottle with the Olympic Rings and the words “WORLDWIDE PARTNER” on the bottle.  That bottle will the centerpiece of my collection of Olympic Coca-Cola packaging.  The centerpiece.

There was almost no line at border control.  It was so fully staffed that they had cleared everyone as quickly as they got off the plane.  Next was Duty-Free, where I got some cigars, a box of Partagas to serve as the Cigar of the Trip, a three-pack of Montecristos, and a three-pack of Brazilian cigars.  I also got a bottle of Cachacha, the best one they had.  That was that.  Time to leave the airport.  Once I walked out of Duty-Free, there was a huge media presence awaiting the athletes’ arrivals.  My greeter was awaiting me and got me to my car.  It was a short drive to the hotel, but long enough to smoke my first Partagas.

I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t see the harbor from my hotel room, but I could see Christ the Redeemer.  That was good enough.  I got settled in and relaxed a bit before changing and heading out.  I got supplies for an afternoon out.  My first stop was an ATM, which had a relatively low withdrawal limit.  Next was a metro card, a special edition Olympic one, which should have been free, but the Organizing Committee had run out of money and had to charge for them.  It was not cheap.  When I say that, I mean it was NYC MetroCard prices.

Then it was time for my first Official meal.  I had found an iconic steakhouse dating back to 1874.  The filet mignon was their specialty.  The waiter spoke no English, and I speak no Portuguese.  We were able to communicate successfully in Spanish.  I got their filet mignon, prepared in their signature fashion, bread and butter, and two beers.  It was a delicious meal, all the better with chopsticks, as is my tradition for my first Official meal in a new country.  That was my 64th country.  After my meal, which was not cheap either, but it was worth it, I went to the beach.

Oh, so I had brought three cigars with me from home, knowing that two of them I could not really smoke after Opening Ceremonies, wanting instead to buy all my consumables locally.  I had forgotten that they were a Montecristo and a Partagas, the exact same two brands I had gotten at Duty-Free.  Oh well.  I lit up a Montecristo when I got to the beach so that I could take my ceremonial picture.  I was here.  This was it.  The Harbor of Rio de Janeiro, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.  “Five down, two to go.”

My astute readers will know the two that remain.  I am going to Nepal in November, Australia in December.  Australia will bring me three Completes: Continents, Natural Wonders, and Olympic Stadiums.  Those will both be trips for the record books, two more potential top five trips.  I payed proper homage to the Wonder and then headed back to the hotel to get my laptop so that I could come back to write my entry.

When I got to the hotel lobby, I tried to add Raymond’s name to the reservation.  They said it was a single room.  I feigned confusion, saying it had two beds (which I had requested in advance).  The ruse worked, and they said they would give him a key when he arrived.  I headed back to the beach and sat down in view of the harbor, where I lit up a Partagas (the one I brought from home, not the Cigar of the Trip) and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can head back to the hotel and get ready to head to the Opening Ceremonies.



I’m not going to write another entry tonight after the Opening Ceremonies, for a multitude of reasons.  The main reason is that I want to publish this before Opening Ceremonies begin, rather than publishing it overnight after everyone back home has gone to sleep.  Also, since this is my Day 0 entry, I’d rather it solely be about final preparations and then recount the Opening Ceremonies in a Day 1 entry.  To that end, I would like to introduce this spot, which will likely be my main entry-writing spot for this trip, just as the bench on the stern of the Corinthian was my main entry-writing spot for my Antartica trip.  The difference is, the view of Christ the Redeemer will remain unchanged, other than lighting differences, for the entire trip, as will the Rio de Janeiro dateline, unlike the multiple of vistas and datelines I experienced as I wrote from the Corinthian.

That’s another thing about this trip that’s different.  I was thinking the last time I had a similar experience was at Comic Con, when I stayed in the same hotel for close to a week and learned all the best spots to eat and smoke and got familiar with the area.  It will be like this for this trip as well.  That place I had lunch today, I’ll eat there again I’m sure, as will I revisit the coffee shop where I got some coffee on my walk back, and I know I’ll be back to that beach.  Just like the words that were sung in the song so heavily featured on the soundtrack for our Gymnastics Team last year, I’m going to make this place my home.  I suppose I should also make a “Call Me Maybe” joke, too, but I think any attempt would diminish what was one of the greatest Olympic moments of all time.

London was filled with memories that last me a lifetime, and that was just from watching in my apartment.  “The Fab Five is Going Gold.”  Those words can still bring tears to my eyes.  What will happen this year, when I see the new Fab Five in person?  That will be even more memorable.  I will see them twice, and I will see four nights of swimming.  This will be a Games to remember, and I’m absolutely going to make this place my home.

So just to finalize today’s entry, after I closed at the beach, I headed back towards the hotel, getting less lost this time, and stopping for a Brazilian version of a corn dog, along with a Coke Zero.  I also stopped at a coffee shop for some coffee, and I realized that would be a regular spot for the trip.  I headed up to the room and deposited some stuff before going up to the roof, where I picked out the best spot with a view of Christ the Redeemer.  I chose that as my regular entry-writing spot.  I then sat down, it up my Ardor, which can now add Rio de Janeiro to all the iconic places where it’s been smoked, and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get ready and head to the Stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment