Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Rio 2016: The Experience - Day 9 - "All Good Things Must Come to an End"



8/14/16 (Rio 2016 Day 9), “All Good Things Must Come to an End”
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Olympic Equestrian Centre)

As Chaucer wrote nearly a millennium ago, all good things must come to an end.  Even this epic trip.  I don’t want to leave.  I really don’t.  I actually felt a physical gut-wrenching pain as I took the taxi to the equestrian venue, realizing that my time at the Games was coming to an end.  I am now at qualifiers for one of my favorite events, the show jumping, and it hurts knowing that I will watch the Finals on my cell phone, but it hurts even more, as it does at the end of every Games, knowing that the Games will soon be over.  Closing ceremonies are a week from today, and that will signify the end to this glorious Games.

The good news is, while this Games is coming to a close, the Winter Games in Pyeongchang are just a year and a half away, and the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in Tokyo will be in four years.  In a few hours, I’ll be at the airport analyzing every detail of the trip and reflecting and making such statements as, “I am forced to conclude that this was the greatest trip I have ever taken,” or similar superlatives.  Then, tomorrow morning, I’ll be back at the office, and, tomorrow night, I’ll be watching Bob Costas’s introduction and hearing the Bugler’s Dream for the first time this Games, as I see the familiar iconic shots of Rio playing over his introduction.  That is how I will experience Phase 2 of this Games.

After I closed, I headed back to the room, and I literally fell asleep as I was publishing.  I woke up and finished publishing.  Raymond had already left for Golf.  I got dressed for the day, figuring I might as well dress for the part: my dark blue polo shirt, cargo shorts, and high bright red socks all courtesy of Ralph Lauren accompanied my Nike black sneakers and light blue Team USA hat.  I was definitely dressed to watch the horses.  I was running late, and I figured, wrongly once more, that it would be quicker to take a cab.  Once more, I got stuck in traffic, but I didn’t care.  There were only two names that mattered to me: McLain WARD and Beezie MADDEN.  They were the last two riders for Team USA.  I’d be good on time to get there and get situated in time for McLain’s round.

The taxi dropped me off outside the military checkpoint, and I walked to the equestrian venue.  I got my pin and, fortunately, found a showjumping beer cup, not really caring that I was having a beer for breakfast.  I found a seat, and there was plenty of time before McLain came up.  When it was his turn, I stood up by the railing to get a good view.  He had a good round, only having one small jump penalty.  After his round, I returned to my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can, I think, have a cigar before Beezie comes up.


I’ll save the superlatives for the airport, but I think I already know how it will pan out.  I don’t have much to report, but I wanted to write one last entry from my spot before I flew home.  Whenever I spend a significant amount of time in the same place, I like to think about the way I will always remember it.  For Yellowknife, it was the rock behind the hotel.  For Granada, it was the view from my balcony where I spent so much time, likewise for the patio in Saint Vincent.  For Rio, it will be two things.  It will be that view of the pool from behind the railing, where I was so frequently recorded.  It will also be this spot, this view from the roof of Christ the Redeemer.  Just one last entry here.  Then I will pack and do the proper reflections.  If I have time, I will also post some photos before I leave, but all good things must come to end, and this is the last time I will experience this view.

After I closed, I headed out for a cigar to pair with the rest of my beer.  I was shocked how packed the venue was.  Even Swimming wasn’t this crowded.  I really only cared about seeing Beezie, so I was quite content to have my cigar and beer at the picnic tables before her turn.  When she was about to come up, I headed back inside and found an even better seat.  I stood by the railing to watch her do her thing, and I think she rode clear, or maybe she had one penalty.

I waited until the last French rider before leaving.  He fell off his horse.  “The joy of victory, and the agony of defeat,” I said to myself as I was leaving the venue.  It was a long and arduous process to get back to the hotel.  The light rail was packed, and people kept walking up and down the aisle selling snacks and drinks, including beer.  After a very long ride, we were finally at Central Station.  I transferred to the subway, and I was soon at Largo do Marchado.  I realized that check-out time had probably already passed.  Hopefully, they would let us use the room for the afternoon.  My key didn’t work, but they reactivated it, so I was fine.

The W Vault finals were going on, so I watched that as I started packing.  Simone gave two exception vaults and secured her third Gold of the Games.  I then headed up to the roof and sat down in my usual spot, where I lit up a Partagas and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can try to upload some photos if I have time and then head to the airport.  Farewell, sweet Rio, but I’ll be watching you for 7 more Days when I get home.


Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport, Brazil (GIG)


Ah, now for the triumphant airport entry.  It was a great trip.  It deserves a great entry.  As is my tradition, I will treat the Return Journey in its entirety tomorrow, but I believe that my reader only has question for me at this point.  Was this trip the GOAT?  How shall we answer that question?  Let’s start by examining the other contenders.  I see only the National Parks of the American West (NPAW), Eurotrip, and Alaska as the possible contenders.

I believe that Antarctica and Israel were similar trips that fail instantly in comparison to the epicness of this trip.  They were both trips of comradery of familiar and repeated locations, but I never once felt so much at home in Israel as I did inside the venues of the Games.  With Antarctica, the Harbor of Rio de Janeiro gives Antarctica a run for its money, but partying every night was what made the trip what it was.  This trips fails in regard to both Israel and Antarctica in that regard, but there were plenty of epic nights, and the nights I spent at Swimming more than make up for the lack of all-nighters.  I will also eliminate my first trip to Greece because being at the Games must rank higher than seeing the sites of the Ancient Games.

I will similarly say that my first trip to Euro when I was younger fails against my more recent Eurotrip.  The road trip I took with my mother last summer, our Last Great Summer Road Trip Adventure, fails against the NPAW.  Alaska, though, while fun and beautiful, also seems to fail against Eurotrip.  It was epic, and we hit everything, but it did not seem to quite measure up to either NPAW or Eurotrip.

That just leaves NPAW and Eurotrip.  NPAW has been, ever since I took it, an unchallenged GOAT trip.  Only Eurotrip came close.  The thing about Eurotrip, though, was that it had no magical moments.  It had a truly great moment almost every day or night, but nothing that would count as a top ten.  It was the 18 Days of everything working out in the end that made it so epic, the first extended international trip I took on my own, all of that was what made it what it was.  I saw 100 sites, and I hit them all, including 10 countries.  That was the epicness of it.  It is very difficult to compare that to nights like last night.

I can compare last night to New Year’s Eve in Port Lockroy, and I think last night wins.  I can’t compare it to the joy of being perfect on Eurotrip.  That was my Phelps in Beijing.  The Munich Run was my 100m Butterfly.  However, everything I did in Europe, I could have done again if I missed.  Seeing Phelps’s last race is something that can only happen once.  That is something that I can tell my kids, my grandkids even.  “Daddy (or Pops), who was the greatest athlete of all time?”  “Sonny, there once was a swimmer named Michael Phelps.  He must have been half-dolphin.  No one ever swam the way he swam, and he was the greatest athlete who ever lived.  Now, let me tell you about the best night of my life, or, at least the best night until I met your mother (or grandmother).  It was in Rio de Janeiro, during the 2016 Olympics, and I saw the last time he ever raced.”

That was just one of so many magical moments this trip.  Not great, magical.  I will also add in that Rio is a Natural Wonder of the World and also has a New7 Wonder.  My Eurotrip brought me to zero of those.  Further, being at the Opening Ceremonies easily beats out all the other Stadiums I visited that trip combined.  It is for those reasons that I am forced to conclude that this trip beats out Eurotrip.

Now, the question becomes, which trip was better, this one or NPAW.  If Eurotrip was Phelps in Beijing, NPAW was Phelps in Athens.  It was my first truly great trip.  It was the trip that opened my eyes to America the Beautiful.  It brought me to the Grand Canyon, a Natural Wonder of the World.  That first morning, when I woke up, and ran outside the cabin to see the Grand Canyon, that is comparable to the Opening Ceremonies, it is even comparable to seeing Phelps’s GOAT race.  Is it is comparable to any single moment of any other trip, save one.  Last night.

Seeing Phelps’s last race and the magic of the denouement is the strongest claim to GOAT that this trip has.  Nothing, other than certain drunken misadventures, especially my last few NYE celebrations, even comes close to last night.  I will remember that for the rest of my life.  However, that night on its own is not enough to unseat NPAW.  We visited six other National Parks besides the Grand Canyon.  I had moments that trip that I still remember, including a certain donkey ride down a canyon or running through the scenery, pretending to be Butch Cassidy or the Sundance Kid.

I am not going to match up those moments one to one against the magical moments of this trip.  How do I compare the donkey ride to day at Sugarloaf we spent with the girls?  How do I compare our low-gas run to Canyonlands to watching Simone and Aly finish 1-2 in the All-Around?  How do I compare seeing the Grand Canyon to watching Phelps become the GOAT?

Here’s a much better question, if, during the Sydney Games, someone had come up to me and told me everything that 15-year-old phenom would accomplish over the next 16 years, and I could see him in person in Rio like this and that, when the end of 2016 came around, I would be in Sydney, saying that I had visited every Olympic Stadium, or I could discover America the Beautiful, visit all of our National Parks, see everything this wonderful country had to offer, from sea to shining sea, which would I choose?

I’m fortunate that I am getting to experience both, and I never thought during the Sydney Games that either of them would be a remote possibility.  The Olympics and the National Parks are two of my greatest loves, but which do I love more?  That is the only question.  It is not an easy question to answer, not at all, but I think the answer should be obvious to anyone who has both endured the Games of the past 16 years with me and travelled to various National Parks with me.

What is the answer, then?  I believe my reader knew the answer to this question as soon as I started writing this entry.  Cue the “Bugler’s Dream.”  It is for that reason, that I have no choice but to conclude, this trip was the GOAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment