Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Friday, August 12, 2016

Rio 2016: The Experience - Day 7 - Familiar Locations, New Adventures



8/12/16, “Familiar Locations, New Adventures”

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


As I have mentioned in numerous entries, the theme of my Travelogue is finding the familiar within the unfamiliar and experiencing the unfamiliar within the familiar.  While the Olympics and my Olympian heroes is an all-too-familiar experience, I am experiencing this Games in a completely unfamiliar fashion.  However, also, as I have previously mentioned, while going to an Olympics is an unfamiliar experience, I am finding the familiar in the similarities between attending the Games and attending Comic Con or a similar convention.

Today, though, we things became even more unfamiliar as we returned to locations that had become familiar to us and experienced the locations in unfamiliar ways.  When we headed out this morning, I knew this would be the theme of Day 7, but I did not realize just how adventurous our day would be become.

Not everything that occurs during a trip makes it into the Travelogue, and some of the omissions are because they are, as Ernest Hemingway would say, “unpublishable.”  Certain aspects refer to one individual I might not want reading what I write about him or her, but I bank on burying such things so deeply in the Travelogue and my confidence that said person is not a regular reader of my Travelogue.  Other things simply cannot be published at all and become confined to my personal journal.  Today was filled with the latter.

If I was George Costanza, today’s entry would read, in part, “We headed out to lunch, and after lunch, I began to perceive this impending…intestinal requirement, whose needs surpassed any desire for activities, so we stopped at a coffee shop.  While I was I washing my hands, a woman walked up to me and asked if I was from the United States.  Yada, yada, yada, I missed Phelps’s race by a minute.”  However, that’s not my style.  I will attempt to, um, sanitize, this entry as much as possible for publication.  I believe a simple recording of the facts without commentary will serve for most of the entry.

Okay, so, after I closed, still engrossed in my debate with my friend, it was 4 AM by the time I finished publishing and got to sleep.  We slept in, and tried to strategize for the day.  Our plan was to head out for lunch, have a cigar on the beach, go back to the hotel for another cigar, then go back to Fogo do Chao for dinner, then walk to the cigar store, while we smoked cigars, to get some more cigars, then I would head to Swimming.  For the most part, that is what happened, but it happened in the most unexpected way.

I had brought my computer bag with me in case I wanted to do an entry on the beach.  We stopped across the street for lunch, getting their sausage dish with rice and beans.  Now, I know my readers have objected in the past when I record the emptying of my bladder and bowels, but, such activities form an essential part of today.  Almost as soon as we left the lunch restaurant, I had to go to the bathroom, badly, in both ways.  I wanted to go back to the hotel, but Raymond wanted to keep walking.

As we got close to the beach, my intestinal requirement was becoming an emergency.  We wound up stopping at a coffee shop.  Now, I need to go into a little more detail.  My best friend and I are trying to keep count of my Official Us for the trip.  In order to get credit for the Official U, I must, among other things, be standing up.  That requires, well, that I not combine my intestinal need with the Official U.  In fact, they must be separated by a full hand wash.  Either order is acceptable, the U first or second, but they must each get their own hand wash.  Again, reader, all of this is completely essential to what happened today.

Okay, well, the intestinal requirement was too urgent to allow me to take the Official U first.  I took care of that first and headed out to wash my hands.  There were two wash basins, and a women’s stall to the left and a men’s stall to the right.  As I was washing my hands, I heard someone asking me if I was from the United States.  She had come out of the women’s stall.  I told her I was from New York.  She was from Detroit.  Great.  I still had to take that Official U, and I had to take it real bad.  I could not hold it in long enough to sustain a conversation.  I finished washing my hands and went back in to take the Official U.  Okay, so I figured I’d never see her again, all because of that Official U count.  I also knew that my best friend would get a huge kick out of this story.  I did not know how much more interesting the story would get.

I then went to rejoin Raymond, and guess what?  He was talking to Miss Detroit and her other friend.  They wanted to come to the steakhouse for dinner tonight.  In fact, they wanted to hang out with us all day.  Well, la di da.  We headed down to the beach, and we agreed we’d meet up and exchanged numbers.  From here on out, I will refer to the girl from the wash basin as “my girl” and the other girl as “Raymond’s girl”.  Well, logistics were a bitch, and we later learned that not all of our messages were going through.

Raymond and I went to the beach after getting our coffees.  We lit up cigars, a special edition Hoyo de Monterrey for me, and took some ceremonial pictures.  My girl messaged me to say that they were going to the shopping mall.  I asked which one, but she did not respond.  It turned out, my messages were not going through.  Raymond and I walked along the beach and, well, that’s when things started to get even more interesting.  We saw a football goal without a net.  Raymond wanted to practice his high bar or uneven bar routine.  He cut himself on the post.  He needed an adhesive bandage.  He raced ahead of me to the point where I lost him.  I realized that I was on the beach right in front of the shopping mall at that point.  I decided I would wait there.  I had no way of reaching Raymond, since he doesn’t have international service.  Reader, isn’t this a fun story?

I was about to go back to the hotel.  I soon heard someone say, “Hey.”  It was my girl, with Raymond’s girl in tow.  I explained the situation.  Raymond messaged me.  He went to Fogo do Chao to ask for a bandage.  It was not far.  Okay then.  I told the girls what happened, a story they found all-too-amusing, and we walked to meet him.  They wanted to go up the cable car to sugarloaf.  Most of the misadventures my girl and I got into are unpublishable, but we took solace in the fact that they would not arrest American tourists for such minor missteps during the Olympics.

We eventually wound up at Sugarloaf, drinking very heavily for the next two hours, almost nonstop.  The views from the top were breathtaking, and we paired off, Raymond and I each lighting up a cigar again, a Montecristo for me, sharing the cigars with our girls, before breaking up and exploring the mountain in pairs.  Eventually Raymond said he was going down, but it was unclear if he meant down the stairs from the bar or all the way down the mountain.  Yada, yada, yada, I didn’t see him again for 9 hours.

Meanwhile, my girl and I got into more misadventures before we headed back down the mountain, stopping again for another drink.  We were both utterly and royally toasted at this point.  It wasn’t even 7 PM.  She had invited her host to join us for dinner.  It would apparently just be the three of us, and my girl promised to impress me with how much she could eat.  She took great pride in the amount of food she was capable of consuming and still maintaining an average body type.  She preferred that to eating a more moderate amount of food and having a skinny body.  I respect that.  It is at this point that more of the unpublishable stuff transpired.

We had another drink at the bar while we waited for our table.  Her host soon joined us.  We got our table for three, and the two of them put me to shame in how much they ate.  I suppose due to nerves, or because of all the fruit in our drinks, I had lost my appetite.  Also, I was anxious about missing Phelps.  His race was at 10:12 PM.  It was 7:40 PM when we sat down to dinner.  I was vigorously timing everything, and I was also debating if I should just give her host the ticket so that the adventures that occurred instead would have been truly unpublishable and watched the stream on my phone or on TV.  I was seriously debating it, but it was Phelps, in his last individual race.

My girl kept saying we’d meet up later, that the event only went until 11:30 PM, and that we could just meet up after that.  Reader, without analysis, I will just highlight on fact.  We had been drinking, heavily, almost nonstop for four hours.  She wanted to meet up four hours later, at which point I did not expect her to have drank any less over those four hours than she did over the four hours we were together.  I also knew with a high level of confidence that if I went to Swimming, “my girl” would likely no longer be “my” girl.  It was Phelps.  In his last individual race.

After we could no longer eat another bite, we took the subway, and they got off at Ipanema, as we made plans to meet up after the Swimming.  My girl’s phone had died, so I had to communicate with her host, who still had a solid 70% on her charge.  I was still debating handing her the ticket.  We said our goodbyes, and I went back to calculating.  It would be a true Munich run, at the Olympics, for Phelps.

Once I got off the bus, I ran and ran.  I was outside the venue, and I heard the cheers indicating the swimmers were entering the arena.  I ran some more.  I heard another cheer.  The race would last about a minute.  I got inside the arena, only to see the swimmers at the end of their race.  I had just missed it.  “Did he do it?” I asked the first person I saw.  He held up two fingers.  Phelps had come in second.  In fact, it was a three-way tie for silver.  I had missed that.  Fuck.  It was all for naught.  I could have left the girls earlier, or I could have stayed with my girl and given the host the ticket.  What I did was the unhappy middle.

Though, I suppose, it was kind of better this way.  I will see his final race tomorrow, which should be an easy Gold for Team USA, so the way I will remember Phelps at these Games will be his GOAT win last night and his relay tomorrow.  I did not have to see him come in second, instead only finding out about that secondhand.  I had no time for souvenirs or concessions or an entry.  There were two more races to come, and the medal ceremonies.  I headed straight to the railing for most of the rest of the session.

Katie LEDECKY, my new crush, won the 800m Freestyle in commanding fashion, almost 2 seconds under the WR and half a pool length ahead of the silver-medalist.  Her name has now become a noun, as in, “to pull a Katie Ledecky.”  A 36-year-old from Team USA repeated his 2000 win of the 50m Freestyle, which was quite an accomplishment.  There were four medal ceremonies.


The Phelps ceremony, he stood beside the other two silver-medalists and the gold-medalist was at the top.  The other three ceremonies led to our national anthem being played.  I messaged the host, and she said they were heading to Lapa, so I got a taxi there, which actually had to take me past my hotel.  I was getting tired at this point and almost called it all off.  I asked her what bar they were going to.  No response.


When I got to Lapa, I called both of them.  Neither picked up, and the host’s phone went straight to voicemail, which meant it was probably dead, too.  Well, that was that.  I texted her and waited around for a bit.  No response.  I took a taxi back to the hotel and reorganized myself in the room a bit.  I then headed up to the roof, where I proceeded to light up a Partagas and write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep.  I guess I will try to meet up again with her tomorrow, as we are going to Athletics in the morning, which is right by where they’re staying.  I can make no promises of what will and will not be publishable if that is the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment