Mission

“These are the voyages of the traveler Steven. Its five-year mission: to explore the strange world, to seek out life and civilizations, to boldly go where few men have gone before.”

When I set out to see the world, my goal was to check off a bunch of boxes. I set some goals, got a full-time job, added some more goals, learned that taking 50 vacation days a year was not considered acceptable, figured out how to incorporate all of the goals I set, and had at it. My goal was never to explore new cultures, yet that is what these voyages have become. I have started to understand foreign cultures, but I have learned one fundamental truth. Human beings are, for the most part, the same.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Rio 2016: The Experience - Day 4 - The Fab Five




8/9/16 (Rio 2016 Day 4), “The Fab Five”
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The “Fab Five” or “Fierce Five” or whatever alliterative moniker they use this year to refer to them.  That is what today is about.  In four hours, I will be watching them in the team finals, the most important event for me of these Games.  I am referring, of course, to the five girls on our gymnastics team, the five girls who will capture the heart of our nation tonight.  Simone, Aly, Gabby, Laurie, and Madison, those are their five names, and it will absolutely be fabulous.  “The Fab Five are going gold.”  That was the single happiest moment for me of the London Games.  I still get welled up every time I hear or think those words.

How marvelous will it be to see them in person in just a few short hours?  I can’t even imagine.  We dominated in London.  We are even better here in Rio.  It is moments like these that can make Olympic memories that will last a lifetime.  I can’t even begin to express how exciting it will be for me to see them in person on the Olympic stage.  This event alone would have been worth the trip.  I will write more about them in the venue, but I just wanted to set the stage for this afternoon.

After I closed, I crashed almost immediately, and slept in to almost noon.  I had saved my cigar for the morning.  Oops, I forgot to mention that I had lit a Partagas for last night’s entry.  Okay, so I went to the room and sat down in my usual spot to relight my cigar and publish my entry.  I then proceeded to write this brief entry, which I will now close so that we can head out to the Deodoro area and meet up with Raymond’s new friend before I go to Gymnastics.


(Rio Olympic Arena gymnastics venue)

Well, after three rotations, our girls are killing it.  To call them the Fab Five seems an understatement.  All that we have left is the floor routine, helmed quite ably by defending gold medalist Aly Raisman and GOAT contender Simone Biles.  Yes, Simone is probably the greatest gymnast of all time.  She is just another level of good.  I have a feeling that, after our first two girls do their floor rotation, the third girl, be it Simone or Aly, could just walk out on the floor, wave, and walk off, and still get the Gold.

That’s how fabulous our Fab Five our, but I know our girls.  I know how much fun Aly or Simone would have with a routine that is essentially a victory lap.  If they are a lock for first, they will take even more risks and make it even more exciting.  That’s what our girls do.  That’s why they earned the moniker “The Fierce Five” often instead of “The Fab Five”.  I cannot wait to see them on the floor.  That is why I’m here, and the fact that the floor routine will be the one that decides their fate makes it even more special.

Okay, so that concludes the third rotation for all teams, and we just dominating.  There seems to be some kind of delay in getting China’s final score, but I think it will leave China and Japan in second third, each 7 or 8 points behind our incredible score of 139.  This is not like football where a 7-point deficit is easy enough to overcome.  Winning the team event by 7 points is considered a blow-out.  One more rotation remains, and it will be starting shortly, so I will write more about the event itself later, but for now, I want to recount what happened since my last entry.  Ooh, that was actually a good score for China, and we are now only 5 points ahead.  I say only, but 5 points is still a huge lead.

Okay, so after I closed this morning, I got ready and met Raymond downstairs for some coffee before we headed out.  He wanted to meet up with his new friends for lunch, and I told him I could do that, but I’d need to leave for Gymnastics by 2:30 PM.  We headed to Deodoro, since they were at the Basketball game.  Well, it took so long to get there that I couldn’t meet for lunch (or even have time to eat lunch).  I walked him to the entrance and got right on the bus that would take me to the main Olympic Park.  I got there with some time to kill, so I walked around and took a ceremonial picture at the Olympic Rings.

Looks like the order for our girls on the floor will be China doing their three first, then we have Laurie, Aly and Simone.  I fully expect Simone’s routine to be nothing short of a victory lap, and it’ll be epic!!!  Alright, so I took my picture at the Rings and then headed to the gymnastics venue, picking up an ice cream bar on the way.  Now time was running short again, and I had enough to get my souvenir but not enough time to get food.  The hot food was sold out, anyway.  After our girls opened with three excellent vaults, I went out to get beer, chips, and water.

Our next routine was the uneven bars, which is our weakest routine, but we are still one of the best teams in the world on that apparatus, and I think Madison is the reigning World Champion.  After that came the balance beam.  Simone struggled a bit, but we got three great scores, further cementing our lead.  I got more beer and chips (my reader will note that I have not recounted any proper lunch, which is because I have not had one as of yet, nor did I have breakfast) before heading back to my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can watch the rest of the event and cheer on our girls, the Fab Five’s second reincarnation, as they go for the gold with their floor routines.


(Riocentro Pavilion 2 weightlifting venue)

And the Fab Five has gone gold, again, though they are calling themselves the “Final Five”, since future Olympic gymnastics teams will only be comprised of four gymnasts per country, in an attempt to stem US dominance, I suppose, and we sure were dominant.  That’s the only word for it.  Sheer and utter domination.  We won by eight points.

After I closed, Laurie had a great floor routine, and then came Aly.  What a nice Jewish girl.  I think she might have chosen Hava Nagela again, or maybe it was a different Jewish folk song.  She killed it.  Even at 22, she’s still got it going on.  She scored above 15.  That just left Simone.  All she need was an 8 in order to win gold.  An 8.  That would have been her walking out, doing one tumbling pass, smiling, and walking off the floor.

She did her victory lap.  She killed it.  She broke 15 points.  We won by over 8 points.  The “Final Five” had gone gold.  I cried.  A lot.  I didn’t cry quite as much as I did in London.  That was not a sure thing.  This was a coronation.  Anything less than gold would have been a disappointment.  We got our gold.  Russia got silver, China bronze.  Russia might give Madison a run for her money on the uneven bars, but I have a good feeling that we could sweep the golds.

The victory ceremony soon came, and I sang along with the national anthem for the third time this Games.  I’m not sure which felt better, this one, or the M 4 x 100m Relay.  I think if I see Phelps win another individual gold, that’ll be the best one of all, especially if it’s the one that gives him the most individual medals of all time.  It was a packed house, so it was difficult getting out of the arena, and then I learned that the weightlifting venue was not being held in the Olympic Park, but in Riocentro, which was over a mile away by foot.  Ugh.  I would be late.  Very late.  I figured that I could miss the Snatch portion and still catch the Clean & Jerk.  I figured right.

There was a bit of a delay going up the ramp, and I was interviewed by an American radio station that was not NBC.  I was not sure if I could condone a non-sponsor in such a way, but I gave the interview anyway.  He didn’t realize that I was inside the gymnastics arena, he just wanted to talk about the good feeling of Team USA winning.  Imagine his delight when he found such a fervent fan of USA Gymnastics.  After the interview, the ramp cleared up, and I walked towards the weightlifting venue, getting there while the Snatch was still going on.

I got a beer and, finally, a chicken sandwich, before looking for souvenirs.  I was supposed to meet Raymond here, but we had no way of communication, and the seats were general admission by block.  That made things difficult.  I showed a volunteer my ticket, and he said there was an open seat in the front row and took me there, thinking he was doing me a favor by upgrading me.  I tried to explain I needed to go to my original block so that I could find my friend.  He didn’t understand.  He outstretched his arms and told me I could sit anywhere I wanted.

I looked everywhere for Raymond, but I didn’t see him in the stands.  I think it’s more likely than not, though, that he’s still hanging out with his new friends (or, more likely, just one of them).  I took the front row seat and watched the rest of the Snatch.  After the Snatch, I took a selfie for social media and returned to my seat, where I proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can watch the rest of the competition and then figure out what to do about meeting Raymond, though I suppose I will just have to meet him back at the hotel.  I really just want to relax at the hotel for the rest of the night and start uploading my photos to my Facebook album.



The thing about taking such an epic trip like this with a buddy is that it provides you with inside jokes and “Do you remember the time”s that will last a lifetime.  Everyone I have ever taken an extended trip with, I have such memories and jokes.  This trip is sure to provide plenty.  For the rest of our lives, Raymond and I will be able to say to each other, in an overexaggerated Brazilian accent, “Cristo!!! Cristo!!!” and only we will get it.  No, reader, I will not be explaining that joke.  We will always be able to talk about how we snuck into the shooting finals or that night on the rooftop in Ipanema.  Those memories last a lifetime.

My only question is, will this trip be the GOAT?  I am starting to think it’s a strong contender.  Even without the Olympics, this could be a top five trip.  A New7 Wonder of the World visible from our hotel room, a Natural Wonder of the World defining the cityscape, and making every night epic with one of my best friends.  That alone would make this trip a contender for the top five.  Add in the Olympics, and I don’t see how it could not it could not contend for the GOAT.  The thing is, I have three more trips upcoming that are sure top-five contenders, as well: Rome, Nepal, and Australia.

The Summer of 2013 was the most epic travel time period of my life, but these five months might blow that time period out of the water.  The Games have been incredible so far, and it is just unreal watching all of it in person.  Tomorrow, I will be back at the gymnastics venue for the M Individual All-Around, and then we’ll see Fencing in the evening.  I hope to wake up not too late tomorrow so that I can publish some photos before I leave for Gymnastics.  Raymond will probably try to hang out with his new friends.  Oh, right, so what happened with that?

Well, after I closed, it was not long before Raymond walked down and found me.  He sat down with me, and we watched the end of the event.  In the end, three red flags were raised.  Gold for China, Silver for Turkey, and Bronze for Kyrgyzstan.  We were able to get autographs from the bronze and silver medalists.  I had been prepared with permanent markers (my reader should note that, during the Games, I will not be mentioning the brand name of any company that is not an Olympic sponsor) and blank photo paper.  Only too late did I realize that I should have instead gotten my ticket signed.  Next time I’ll know better.

We tried to figure out what we wanted to do next.  We were planning on repeating our Night 1 activities, going to the cigar store, then to the rooftop in Ipanema.  Instead, we decided we’d just go back to our neighborhood by taxi and have dinner at the old restaurant (est. 1874) by our hotel.  As were driving, I lamented that I would not get to watch Phelps’s 200m Butterfly race live.  I’m pretty sure I’ve watched every single gold medal race he’s ever been in either live or during the NBC Primetime coverage if not shown live, which would have only been the case for Athens.  Raymond suggested I stream it.  I didn’t even realize that was an option, but it was, and I raced to put it on, catching the second half of the race in time to see Phelps deliver a commanding victory.

We were soon at the restaurant, and we ordered two caipirinhas, along with a steak for two.  It was actually the same steak I had gotten for lunch on Day 0.  I had thought I was ordering a different style, but it was so good I didn’t care.  They showed Phelps’s second race, the 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay live on the TV, so we ordered some dessert, the house specialty, as we wanted to stay to watch that.  We stumbled (I don’t know why the caipirinhas always hit us so hard) back to the hotel.  We relaxed for a few minutes before heading up to the roof, and I sat down in my usual spot, where I lit up an Hoyo de Monterrey and proceeded to write this entry, which I will now close so that I can publish and get to sleep at a somewhat reasonable hour and actually catch up on my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment